Dive plan question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
There are a couple of wrecks in the Mackinac Straits that I would like dive on again. The difference is, this time I would like the dives to be in the one hour range or maybe slightly longer. The depths are 110 to 120+. How would you manage this kind of dive?

Twin tanks, EAN30-32, Deco on 80 would be my configuration.

jbd:
There are a couple of wrecks in the Mackinac Straits that I would like dive on again. The difference is, this time I would like the dives to be in the one hour range or maybe slightly longer. The depths are 110 to 120+. How would you manage this kind of dive?

3 20 minute dives would be the easiest way to go. "120+" sounds a bit ominous.
Generally I would keep to 100 feet or less on a rereational profile.

If you have to ask how to plan a deco dive, it's time for a class :)

Is anyone else scared by this question coming from an instructor?

Joe

he is looking to maximize his bottom time and I guess wants to know pros and cons of various gas choices?

Sideband:
Is anyone else scared by this question coming from an instructor?

Joe

These are kinda dorky depths to me.

It's that area where it's getting heady for EAN30-32, and I don't feel like running 21/35 because I feel it may be over kill (If there is such a thing). I would however without hesitation.

25/25 works well and is also easy to mix with banked 32 if you're so inclined to bank it based on GUE's standard mixes.

Deco on EAN50 and you're out of the water in less than an hour with a respectable bottom time. (30mins)

It also works well for that 120+ depth you're speaking of (whatever that is) and still keeping the END and PPO2 down to respectable limits.

I can also ratio deco out of it easily too which is how I like to do it.

Using a set of twins and an ALU40 for the deco mix will generally give you two of these dives out of her.

Getting on the deco gas at 70ft starts the cleaning quicker and saves on backgas requirements.

Now hey, that's how I do it.

My suggestion would be to get training on this and not listen to this fool.

regards

Well you could do 35 minutes at 120 on 30 % which will give you a run time of 65 minutes or so. Before doing this dive though it would be a good idea to figure out the deco stops and how much gas you should carry.

Basically the only way to do it as a recreational dive would be a bottom time of 20 minutes and a 35 minute safety stop to make it an hour dive,which I suspect is not quite what you have in mind!

jbd:

JBD - are you certified for mandatory decompression?

Yeah. I feel like the fool here. Not. He may not have been clear in his post but I see an instructor on the web asking how to plan a dive requireing mandatory deco. You yourself say to get training for this so obviously you don't think he is properly trained for it or he wouldn't be asking here.
Who would be the bigger fool, me for saying the question looks dangerous or you for offering advise while believing he is inadequatly trained for the advise you are giving?

Because it isn't stated anywhere this guy could be one of those speed instructors with less than 75 dives or Shek Exley reincarnated. Again, it could be a poorly asked question. If he is asking how to do the dive then I stand behind my original post. If he is fully trained and qualified and is looking for different perspectives then it's a different matter all together.

Joe

jbd:
Before we chuck ole' jbd under the bus, lets take a deep breath or two.

He may be trying to settle a dispute.
He may be trying to get some sort of idea of the variety of approaches.
He may be trying to determine how many would use trimix versus how many would go with nitrox.
He may be doing lots of things.

To assume he's a moron for asking in the first place sort of is like assuming you're guilty until proven innocent. Plus, we all know what happens when we 'assume'...

If you want to tell him how you'd plan the dive and why, fine.

If you don't, then don't.

But let's refrain from assuming he's an uberstroke getting ready to commit all sorts of ad hockery and moronity just because he asked a question.

That's a lot of assuming, even for us proto-cyberdivers...

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom