Dive reports with beach/weather conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

7/22/12
9 AM
Alhambra Yak dive
Water temp: bath water
Seas: flat, 2 foot swell by noon
Viz: 3 to 4
Finds: a few smalls
Fair number of boat and shore divers out today. Hope somebody had better luck than us.

Last edited:
Got out on Saturday
2 tank morning dive in the Boneyard
water temp 86
seas flat-2 feet
viz 0-4ft
tons of silt... made it hard to find anything
found a few beat up megs.. 30 smaller teeth, part of a horse tibia, and a whale vert.. nothing too special
had to abort the afternoon dives. viz dropped to 0 once the winds picked up

Site Location (Venice Beach) 8:00 AM
Water Temp 85
Visibility 0 - 4 feet
Tide (low, incoming )
Wind - light west wind
Surf - light chop
Lots of silt on bottom 0 visibility til you were at 15 - 20 feet down. Lots of small teeth a couple of Meg frags

Site Location (Venice Beach) 8:00 AM
Water Temp 85
Visibility 0 - 4 feet
Tide (low, incoming )
Wind - light west wind
Surf - light chop
Lots of silt on bottom 0 visibility til you were at 15 - 20 feet down. Lots of small teeth a couple of Meg frags
O-4' :(...Does Mother Nature's cruelty never end !!!!!!......I've been waiting for weeks to check out the bottom after TS Debbie !!!!!

7/28/2012
Service Club
8:45 am
Seas <1'
Wind ESE<5
Water Temp 87
Vis 0-3'
Finds some small stuff

Had my Goliath friend show, came face to face, and he stayed awhile to have his side and belly rubbed, he actually followed me and would swim under my feet lifting me, he did this 3 times

Last edited:
8/4/2012
Service Club
Conditions haven't improved
Vis 0-2'+
Seas were flat
Water Temp 87
Did find a nice meg and the usual small stuff
The Goliath showed again, stayed around for about 15 minutes, he must not be bothered by the double hose reg.

014_crop.jpg

---------- Post Merged on August 5th, 2012 at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous Post was on August 4th, 2012 at 03:47 PM ----------

8/5/2012
Service Club
Vis improved some had some areas with 4'-5'
Water Temp up to 88
Finds usual small stuff

Yak diving :)

Alhambra... Started around 9:30 in Boneyard off alhamra. Was near some boats, they were relocating (like me). Viz was patchy (sp?). At times 0 then 6+ about 100yrs later. Went more inshore and found better viz.

Bottom line: viz is ok if you can find hard bottom. If you don't have viz, move 100 or more yards away. REALLY variable. At times could not see gauges. Other times, REALLY nice. Sad part is REALLY nice was not on a fossil bed :( ....

Water temp: Bath water
Winds/waves... had storms rolling in, so variable. For most part 2 ft or less.

Finds: Will post later or on FB.

Dive safe...
Side note: From what I understand, Sharkey's/to the south of Alhambra was better. I just dive Alhambra because I know (knew) the fossil beds (prior to T.S. Debbie). Next time probably doing Service Club.

Yak diving ... did a bit more north of alhambra because I heard Venice Beach was having good viz. Viz was really good over hard spots (no silt... 8+). When I hit silt it was more like 1-3 (but still better than before).

Wave action: minimal (1ft or less).
Water temp: REALLY Nice (didn't look, but didn't do/need wetsuit)

Heard boats had some good finds over weekend as well. Things might be improving in some areas, but overall, still patchy on silt.
Dive safe.

Site Location (Venice Beach) 9:00 AM
Water Temp 87-89
Visibility 0 - 3 feet
Tide (low, incoming )
Wind - 7-10 knots west wind
Surf - 2 feet
One tank dive 110
minutes Bottom time
Lots of silt on bottom 0 visibility til you were at 15 - 20 foot depth. Few small teeth. One heart breaker, Lots of sea weed and Jelly fish (OUCH)! I was diving at the lime stone blocks.

Iphone 016.jpg

Last edited:
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom