Dive Shop Reco's - Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raina79

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

So, now that my plane tickets are booked (I'll be arriving on March 5 for 18 days in paradise! YAY!) it's time to start thinking about who I'm going to dive with.....and recommendations for the below locations would be great!

I'll be heading to Mindoro (Sabang or White Beach) for 5-6 days and doing the majority of my diving there. If I stay at White Beach, will I have to go to Sabang every morning if I choose a dive op there? Do they have a boat pick up? Somewhere that books dive/accommodation packages might be ideal here, as I'll be doing a fair bit of diving.

Boracay
Anilao (preferrably something with a nice deck/pool....I hear there's not much of a beach!)

Most important for me is a safe, professionally run dive shop.
Second most important is NO CATTLE BOATS and small dive groups. Ideal would be 5-6 divers with 2 dive guides.
Also, I'll be travelling solo, so a social, fun atmoshphere is always a bonus!

Thanks in advance!!

great! you'll have a blast promise

regarding your inquiries: i would recommend small lalaguna, it's a 5-10 minute walk from sabang so you get the peace and quiet, some beach of lalaguna and the fun of sabang - best dive shops there are atlantis, asiadivers and action divers (based on consencus from the guys here)

white beach is ok, there are dive ops there - i've personally used pacific divers and nikita divers - both ok but i would reco sabang/lalaguna

get a dive op from where you are - the distance from sabang to white beach will put an unneeded toll on your boat rates

boracay - victory divers i heard is good, and scubaworld and aquaventure (big local ops) have operations there

anilao - balai has a (very) nice deck but no pool (good people and atmos there too)... i think solanabezo has a pool, not sure :biggrin:

all the above have safe and professional shops and in general we don't run cattle boats in the philippines :biggrin: - 5 divers is the usual group w/ 1 DM, on PG sometimes 8 during the peak season but with 2 or 3 guides/DMs on board

i haven't experienced a boat with more than 1 hired guide/DM... but just the same, you're in great hands with the good shops

Jag

Hi Raina! Glad you chose PI for your dive adventures. And you're travelling alone? Wow! :thumbs-up

There are a few dive shops in White Beach and you don't have to go all the way to Sabang for this. I'll PM you one dive OP there you can contact. But if you choose to hire a dive OP from Sabang, i think they can pick you up in White Beach but the two are quite a distance from each other.

I'll let the others say more about Anilao and Boracay :14:

If you stay at white beach don't get an op in sabang and vice versa. Boats aren't allowed to travel at night. I agree with Jag, get a place in small lalaguna. The nightlife in Sabang will probably be more enjoyable for you than white beach (since there's less foreigners on white beach). If you can, rent a scooter and ride all the way to tamaraw falls (P750 = ~$20 cdn). The scenery is beautiful along the way!

Seriously, IMHO I wouldn't bother going diving in Boracay. Just spend 2-3 nights there just partying and beachgoing around the island. This is like going to Daytona Beach - hopefully you'll be able to meet up with other travellers (not sure if you will in march).

So is your itinerary still the same? Or has it changed?

Here is a phone number of a small inn in big lalaguna, Puerto Galera
Sha-Che Inn +639176410112. They have basic aircon and non-aircon room with bathroom, kitchen and cable TV. Its about $10 a night for non-air and $20 for airconditioned ones. Its right beside Action Divers and Tech Asia.

For the Dive operation I suggest Action Divers.

Axua:
Here is a phone number of a small inn in big lalaguna, Puerto Galera
Sha-Che Inn +639176410112. They have basic aircon and non-aircon room with bathroom, kitchen and cable TV. Its about $10 a night for non-air and $20 for airconditioned ones. Its right beside Action Divers and Tech Asia.

For the Dive operation I suggest Action Divers.
I agree with the recommendation regarding Action Divers. Good crew. They do 3 dives per day, usually at 9 am, 12 pm, and 3 pm.

I agree with Chip and Boracay, diving not up to par with the rest of your locations.

Great party place though and a beautiful beach.
My friends own a little hotel located directly behind Victory Divers, i just wish i could remember the name of it!!! great place to stay.

i will try to find out.

Mike Veitch:
I agree with Chip and Boracay, diving not up to par with the rest of your locations.

Great party place though and a beautiful beach.
My friends own a little hotel located directly behind Victory Divers, i just wish i could remember the name of it!!! great place to stay.

i will try to find out.
would that be "chalet de boracay" or "chateau"??? something like that...

i stayed in a small place behind victory last time i was there... not a bad setup

Jag

I think thats it, a white building with courtyard, 3 stories basically attached to the restaurant...its Victor's ex wife who owns it

Edit....grrrr, i hit that quote thing!!!

I am goin home!

A few questions......

What is the actual beach like in Small La Laguana? Is it nice to wade in, lay and read a book, that kind of thing??
Has anyone done any "cultural" things on Mindoro - visiting villages, Mangyan tribes, etc??

My itinerary is as follows......not really sure how many days I'll spend where, just gonna take it as it goes once I get there. But roughly:

Arrive Manila 5 am. Catch bus/ferry to Mindoro same day. Stay in Small La Laguana (yes, you guys convinced me....) Spend a few days diving, a few days chillin' and seeing the other sites. Maybe stay 5-6 days??

Head back to Luzon, maybe spend a few days in Anilao.

Try and catch the night bus to Sagada. For those of you who have been - should I stay in Banue as well, or just head straight to Sagada? Spend 2-3 days hiking the terraces, exploring.

Back to Manila. Catch a flight from Manila to Boracay. Spend the remainder of my holiday there (4 or 5 days), maybe do a few dives (just to get my feet wet!). Fly back to Manila and possibly spend one day there, just checking out the sites.

Whaddaya think, Chip?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom