Dive Shop Reco's - Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Small la laguna has a narrow beach. It's ok to wade in and has a very good reef for snorkeling. You have to be careful though as there are lots of boat traffic. Not really wide enough for laying out in the sun. For laying out/wading, head over to big la laguna, it's just a short walk (that's why i like it coz it's smack dab in the middle of sabang and big la laguna). Big la laguna has fewer boat traffic and a wider beach, in my opinion. Can't tell you about cultural activities as I went there to dive only and didn't have time to do that kind of activities (I'll rectify that next time I go back). The sand is ok but nothing compared to the sugar-like quality of boracay.

One word of warning though. Looking at your profile pic and the fact that you're travelling alone, you will get a lot of stares from the males of the population. It's a cultural thing, I guess. You also probably know this already but be safe in your travels. I'll let the other chime in on other parts of your questions. Good luck and have fun.

I guess Small La Laguana it is! Are there other snorkelling spots right off the beach around PG?? Does Big La Laguana have snorkelling? Midwestdvr, where abouts did you stay when you visited??

Thanks for the word of warning.....I've travelled solo in Indonesia, as well as Central America so I'm definitely aware of the unwanted attention I could recieve. I read in a travel guide it is also not uncommon for Filipinos of the muslim faith to react towards foreign women with anger - that scared me a bit! I don't know how I would react to a situation like that.....has anyone ever experienced this/heard of this happening??

raina79:
I guess Small La Laguana it is! Are there other snorkelling spots right off the beach around PG?? Does Big La Laguana have snorkelling? Midwestdvr, where abouts did you stay when you visited??

Thanks for the word of warning.....I've travelled solo in Indonesia, as well as Central America so I'm definitely aware of the unwanted attention I could recieve. I read in a travel guide it is also not uncommon for Filipinos of the muslim faith to react towards foreign women with anger - that scared me a bit! I don't know how I would react to a situation like that.....has anyone ever experienced this/heard of this happening??
You can go snorkelling right off the beach on small la laguna and big la laguna. Pretty good reefs but watch out for boat traffic. I'm pretty sure you can snorkel also off sabang beach but when you see the beach, you might change your mind :D .

When I was there Oct 05, dove with Action divers and stayed in Deep Blue Sea Inn. Which was good but not too luxurious. Came back in Nov '05 and stayed in Portofino and Action Divers was able to give me a deal on a single studio for 27U$ a night. A little bit more pricey than Deep Blue Sea but a little bit more upscale with fridge and small kitchen (sink and single burner with pots/pans, plates, etc.) Both hotels have hot water. Portofino has a small pool.

Also, if you do fancy going to white beach, there are always boats that can take you there. As for the muslim situation, you have to further south in the Philippines before you have any problems with them. Hope this wasn't too long. Have fun and take care

I have a few buddies over there in the PI who would be a good to talk to about diving around there.

If you are heading to Alona Beach, I recommend Atlantis Divers, Moalboal - Savedra and Dive Society in Dumaguete. For whale sharks I'd go to Donsol (wrote a post about it here).

For general diving info about the Visayas read this.

You can PM me with any more questions, I have those guys' contact info if you're heading to any of those places.

Welcome to SB.

raina79:

mid summed it up pretty well, don't worry about the muslims, the majority you will run into are very humble. Both men and women will stare at you and smile bashfully.

You're itinerary looks good! I'd spend one night in anilao (2 days diving) and spend an extra day up north so you have a chance to check out La Union or Baguio. But it looks good how you have it now. I have never done the cultural thing in Mindoro, sorry. If you spend a day in Manila, maybe we can go to the Old Spanish Fort, Intramuros. Or if you wanna go shopping, you could ask one of the ladies here to accompany you to a tiangge (market). I think the buses heading up to Banaue are the Victory Liners (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I know Victory goes to Subic, Pangasinan, and Baguio. I'll talk to my Red Cross friends and ask them.

here are some pics of the places: http://photos.yahoo.com/boofay_boy
12 is Small La Laguna PG,
01 is Anilao,
20i is boracay,
20l is White Beach PG with Tamaraw Falls (scootering there, I reco it!),
21, 32, 31, 46, is AquaVenture in Anilao,
43 is Dive n Trek in Anilao,
30 is AquaV and Planet Dive in Anilao.

Hope that helps! If you've backpacked those places, you will love the PI.

raina79:
A few questions......

Try and catch the night bus to Sagada. For those of you who have been - should I stay in Banue as well, or just head straight to Sagada? Spend 2-3 days hiking the terraces, exploring.

ive been to sagada over a dozen times and defintely suggest it. awesome place. youl need to stay a minimum of 4 days though as anything less is a waste of time. there is no night bus to sagada. you will have to take a bus from manila either to ilocos then to mountain province then to banaue(sagada) or you can take the bus to baguio then to sagada.

let me know if you are interested as i have a lot of expat friends who stay in sagada most of the year. a lot of canadians in sagada.

I don't have a single female blonde friend here (and I have several) that hasn't had issues with Philippino men staring. You may be used to it but just in case. :)

Small La Laguna, the beach is "OK" to hang out and read a book, but not really great. Especially during high tide it is getting a bit narrow.

In respect to diving:
I did about 80 dives with Southseadivers. There are a small shop, do not have tour groups (Like Asia divers Atlantis, who will be packed and extremly busy during the next 2 weeks). They just opened a new shop (almost opposite Atlantis) and have brand new equipment.
Very relaxed, the dive schedule is very flexible and they accomodate to the divers they have. Amil (local DM) is one of the best, if not the best in Sabang, but also Rob, Paul and Sky are great Instructors/Dive Masters.
Hence, you do not get a DM who did 50 dives and doesnt really know the area, insight info on the nightlife and more personal service.

Thanks, straponghz3, that's the kind of response I'm looking for! I will definitely check them out! It's nice to hear why people recommend the dive op, rather then just saying this ones good, that ones good, etc. Did you stay at their affiliated accomodation, or did you stay elsewhere? If so, what was the accommodation like? Decent?

No, they do not have there own place, but they book you were ever you like.

I can not remember now when you wanted to go there, if you come after Chinese New Year (after Feb. 3), you do not need to book. You just drop your stuff and check out the places.
You pay between 500 and 2500 Pesos (that would be Atlantis) per night in Sabang. If you move to Smal'la Laguna and Bigga Laguna, you find more expensive places, but usually they will not cost more than 3000 Pesos.
I stayed in "Big Apple" most of the times (they also have a dive shop, but their DM's and Instructors change every 6 months). Their rooms, with Aircon and Satellite TV, usually hot water are around 1000. There are OK and you stay next too the biggest pool in Sabang.
If you like quiet, nice, overlooking the bay, go to "Step Gardens", at the end of the main alley, when you walk towards Bigga Laguna.... No TV etc, but really nice, run by a Swedish guy.
The rooms in Atlantis are very nice, the whole place is nice. But for me it is too big.

Coming back to www.Southseadivers.com. I dove all the time with them because they are flexible and funny (they told me usually they do not take Germans and I was the only exception...). Paul, the Manager and former owner and Rob, Divemaster are Canadian. Sky, the owner, opened the shop in 1983was the second after Captain Gregg's (Tech Diving). They got 2 more part time partners recently, but I forgot there names.
The 2 boat man are excellent, they will find the dive spots.
As said, they are not so serious, but very professional and will take care of you...

Sabang itself:
Diving: For me, one of the best in the world. The reason is that you have the mix out of excellent dive sites (from 5 meters to 60 meters, wrecks etc... and a lot of fish) and the proximity to the place. The longest you will ever go to a site is maybe 10 minutes. So, you go, straight from the shop, on the beach on the boat. Finished diving, you come back. If you like, you take another dive or you do something else. You do not have to commit your whole day. Or you just show up in the afternoon.
Nightlife:
Well, you have a few bars and restaurants, but the main life happens in the 4 "Disco's", which are GoGo bars. No problem to go there as a woman and it can be fun. But, do not expect romantic dinners on the beach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom