Dive Site - Entering Coordinates sucks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iztok

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, wanted to put coordinates into the Divelog and it seems it only takes one single format and spits out others. Please make this more user friendly. Leaving to the user to calculate to single form where most of GPS units give you info in another is less than desirable.

Unable to extract valueable input [field: 'Latitude', type: 'float', value: '33 27.570'].
Wrong datatype submitted [field: 'Latitude', type: 'float', value: '33 27.570'].

One should be able to enter something like:

33 27.570 N
118 31.044 W

Google - maps, right-click on the desired location gives you an option like "What's here?" which gives you:

This is what I've successfully used so far.

Yes. I mentioned it takes one format. The easiest from programming perspective but the worst from user perspective as most GPSs don't show this.

Sure but why? Why can't the site be more user friendly? Why does user have to perform extra step vs. web site using more common coordinate scheme?

Sure it is easier to program that way.

I stated my opinion. I know options are there to convert they are just not convenient ones.

Are you saying that current situation is more convenient for end user than using more common GPS coordinates format?

Please guys,

To convert from degrees minutes.minutes to degrees.degrees you just divide the minutes.minutes by 60. That gives you the .degrees part.

ex:
32 27.570
27.570/60 = 0.4595
thus 32.4595

No need for some conversion website.

Reactions: BB1
Please guys,

To convert from degrees minutes.minutes to degrees.degrees you just divide the minutes.minutes by 60. That gives you the .degrees part.

ex:
32 27.570
27.570/60 = 0.4595
thus 32.4595

No need for some conversion website.

Again missing the point. This should be in the logging website of UEMIS to be customer friendly.

Again missing the point. This should be in the logging website of UEMIS to be customer friendly.

No, I did not miss your point. Just like many programs where you can enter desired units such as feet vs. meters, you should be able to enter your desired coordinate format. That is actually a common annoyance in many programs/applications. For me, at work, I have software that displays position in degrees minutes seconds, gps that displays in degrees minutes.minutes, and navigation software that displays in degrees.degrees. I guess I have gotten used to it. I find it is easy to convert.

I generally just use the "create a dive spot" on the 'diveworld community' page, use the little map on the site and drag and drop the pin to the location i want, and that has worked quite well... No numbers or anything :wink: then i portal that dive to my SDA.

DiveWorld - uemis DiveWorld

I hadn't thought of doing it that way - will try that tonight!

On the subject of divesites kinda.

I often update the Divesite list on my "My Uemis" site for use with my dive logging. I create the new sites, put some details in etc and save them.

Then when I try to pick the new site from the dive spot list within a dive log I'm editing it's not there???

Yet if I sync the my SDA its there and can be selected straight away???

If I log off from "My Uemis" and try again another night its there???

Is there some way to force the update to the list quicker??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom