The Cobalt Dive Computer from Zeagle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DEMA 2005

Reaction score
What’s different about the Cobalt design?

User Interface:
• Cobalt uses a high resolution (160x240) grayscale display, allowing a flexible, menu driven interface.
• Four button navigation I simple and logically consistent.
• Easy to navigate screens allows the diver to operate the Cobalt without reference to manuals.
• The user only sees the level of complexity they need – a diver using a single air tank doesn’t see information relating to multiple gas nitrox use.
• Bright, even EL backlighting for low light viewing. Image is reversed (light letters on a dark background) for better legibility.
• Logical screen layout, large clear numbers for important values.
• Automatic dive activation (via pressure sensor). Manual startup is recommended, as it allows the diver to check settings.
• Easy to view information, e.g. no-stop times, dive log, etc. are displayed as lists rather than as scrolling values.
• No stop time list can be displayed for the current situation or calculated for any point in the future. “hat will my no stop times be after lunch?”
• A ** featured dive planner and simulator allows navigation forwards and backwards, shows a graphic representation of the dive, allows multiple dive sequences, variable start points, and can store a planned profile.

General Recreational Features:
• Uses standard AA batteries, either Alkaline or rechargeable nickel metal hydride.
• Unexpected loss of power while diving or calculating is avoided by having the batteries function as redundant system – Cobalt runs off one set (two batteries) at a time. When one bank runs low the Cobalt switches automatically to the second and alerts the diver to renew the batteries in the depleted bank.
• Battery life is typically 50 hours of diving per set, 100 hours total, approximately one year of standby life.
• All data is written to nonvolatile memory. Even if all batteries are removed data is not list – though the clock will need to be set.
• Because the Cobalt can accept input as to tank capacity and therefore knows the actual gas contents, predictions of air consumption can be more accurate. The Cobalt can “learn” a diver’s consumption patters to make better air usage predictions.
• User programmable alerts for max depth, two low air alerts, a safety stop alert with countdown timer on screen.
• Variable ascent rate meter.
• Can be set to read in either metric or English nits, 12 or 24 hour time, US or European date formats.
• Variations in atmospheric pressure due to altitude or other factors are automatically sensed and accounted for.

Nitrox Features:
• Adjustable po2 alert from 1.2 to 1.6 ATM.
• Easily programmable with upto three Nitrox mixes (upto 100% o2)
• Maximum operating depth for any mix is automatically calculated and displayed, based on the selected po2 limit.
• Gas switch depth defaults to MOD, can be set to any depth less than the MOD of the mix.
• Ascending to switch depth triggers an alert and dialog requiring confirmation before the switch is entered.
• Gas switching can be manually initiated if above the MOD.

Decompression and Technical Features:
• Incorporates a full implementation of the latest RGBM algorithm. Note: except for the Hydrospace Explorer, computers currently promoting “RGBM” are not fully implementing the RGBM algorithm, but are layering the deep stop aspects of RGBM on top of a less computationally intensive algorithm, resulting in longer over all decompression tables.
• Software can be upgraded as the algorithm is improved or to add capabilities.
• Arrival at decompression stop starts a countdown stopwatch showing time remaining at the stop.
• Inherent capability for Trimix.
• Can include additional tanks (e.g. deco bottles) in air time remaining calculations. For multi-gas decompression diving, Cobalt can alert the diver if or when deco mix will limit dive duration.
• Complete graphic dive planning software allows for dives to be simulated and stored on the Cobalt, complete with gas switching and gas equipment predictions. RGBM tables can be generated from the simulator. This essentially gives the functionality of dive planning software running on a PC.
• Maximum depth 400 feet.

Dive Logging, storage, and downloading:
• Storage for about 600 hours of diving data at a 30 second sample storage rate.
• Dive log information is accessible on screen through a searchable list, detailed views allow stepping through the dive and display a graphic representation of the dive profile as well as screen data at any point in the dive.
• Calculates and displays actual SCFM gas consumption data, not just a pressure change.
• Dive log (as well as all other information) is stored in nonvolatile memory and persists even if batteries are removed.
• PC connection through standard USB interface.
• Download to multiple platforms – Windows, Mac, Linux, Unix.

Power Management:
• Uses standard AA batteries, either alkaline or rechargeable nickel metal hydride.
• Batteries function as a redundant system – Cobalt runs off one bank (two batteries) at a time. When one bank runs low the Cobalt switches automatically to the second and alerts the diver to renew the batteries in the depleted bank.
• Battery life is typically 50 hours of diving per bank.
• All data is written to nonvolatile memory. Even if all batteries are removed data is not lost.

This product will be available from Zeagle Authorized Retailers, check www.zeagle.com for more information.

Don't bother checking the website, I couldnt find anything about the Cobalt.

I think I found my new computer. :wink: I wonder how much it'll go for. I'm thinking $999.95.

dyarab:
Don't bother checking the website, I couldnt find anything about the Cobalt.

I think I found my new computer. :wink: I wonder how much it'll go for. I'm thinking $999.95.

I don't think it was quite that much....I'm not sure if the price I saw was dealer or retail but it was much less then that and less then 3 computers they compared it with.
I was at their booth late Friday and everyone was busy packing up so I couldn't ask questions.

Joe

Well once again Zeagle has given me a way to spend more money. I just got a new/EXPENSIVE computer that I really like, but having one that supports a company with great customer service AND supports Macs. I might have to buy it on those principals alone.

Should run about $100 below that... msrp... about 899... but a lot is still in the works. In fact I was very honored that Scott dragged me into the booth to talk to the programmer that designed the thing. We spent a lot of time going over features, and I made a few comments on things I personally would like to see on it... and they listened!

The beauty of this unit, is they can easily make changes and flash them into the computer. Change a display? Menu? Feature?? Couple of key strokes, download and bingo.... new computer. Very Sweet!!

Most times walking around Dema, I'm bored silly... Oh boy, we now have 3 purges on our snorkel and it comes in purple.... So what!? But this unit got my heart going. It will have every tech feature that anyone could want, and yet be the perfect computer for the rec diver who wants functionality with an awesome interface. It's much like setting up a cell phone. Scroll to this menu, choose this, play back that... very easy to use and more info than you would ever want.

Scott asked how many I want when they are done, and as soon as I told him, he did a little math in his head, grabbed his cell phone, called the Lexus dealer and ordered a new car. :wink:

Yes, much is still in the works on the new Zeagle computer, but a wrist version will likely be made at the same time, or very soon after.

Both the console and wrist models are planned to have trimix capability as an option.

Below the developers, Ron (left front) and Elizabeth Russell show off the Cobalt prototype computer at DEMA.

Showing on the Cobalt screen in dive mode, in huge numbers are: 11 minutes no stop time and 1041 psi remaining at 75 ft after a 24 minute dive. Temperature, max depth and air time remaining are also on the same screen in normal size numbers.

Chad

I am pretty sure that Scott doesn't do the web site. I have seen a couple details that were wrong on the site. After pointing them out to him he had a few comment about the person that does.

Just a PITA that there are two new Zeagle items posted here and there are no details on the Zeagle web site. Maybe the cart is in front of the horse?

I am definitly interested in it.. I currently dive their flathead VI reg and love it. I wonder what sort of bugs we would run into with this computer???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom