Dive Sites in Japan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sinners

Reaction score
Hi!

I travel to Japan on business regular and the last time I went, I managed to spend a weekend at Atami in Japan.

It was a great dive, but the waters were cold compared to the waters I am used to in Singapore and Malaysia.

I have been told Mikimoto [not sure the spelling] is good to, but i need to be a more experience diver to dive there, is that true?

Also, the last time I dive with Tokyo Scuba, and they were nice and good, but i am also looking for an alternative dive centre, anyone to recommend and also site like Atami elsewhere.

Cheers!
Alrick

If you can manage it, consider a side trip to Okianwa or Ishagaki or Yonoguni for some diving.

Sometimes I have a beer with Patric and friends (but not since I have moved out of Roppongi :( ) but have not really dived with them.

Still not made it to Mikimoto but I am told it is for more advanced divers - but for Japan I'm afraid that is not saying a lot!

Next time you're in Tokyo give me a shout and we will see what can be arranged - there is plenty of nice diving on the Izu Penisular and not just Atami, but it is crowded at this time of year and I tend to take a few months off!! Was diving last month in a 3mm full - no problem! Water temp is around 20 now but heating up fast now the above surface temp is pushing 30 on a regular basis.

Jonathan

I was there last month. Did 4 dives over a weekend at Atami.
It was good, but I was looking to go to other sites, if time permits.

The water was 19 to 21 degrees, to me that is cold...i wore an 3mm with a vest inside and hood. My dive master was Geoff.

Give me your email [mine is alrick.dorett@tequila.com.sg], and when i am there, i'll give you a shout!

I would probably be there in late Aug or early September.

Cheers!
Alrick

a plane ride....

TJO on the board just got back and gave me a video - grrrrr!

Next year!! I keep saying that but I will make it...

Jonathan

sorry Jonathan...

The capital in Okinawa Naha is 2.5 hours away from Tokyo. I think there are some direct flights from East Asia as well. If you go there and have more than a few days you should go out to the smaller islands. Diving is top class. Estimate USD 40/boat dive (which is cheap compared to Izu).

Yonaguni is far away and offers the most exciting diving.

Thank you for the info.

Know any dive operators there I can hook up with?

Cheers!
Alrick

TJO once bubbled...
sorry Jonathan...

The capital in Okinawa Naha is 2.5 hours away from Tokyo. I think there are some direct flights from East Asia as well. If you go there and have more than a few days you should go out to the smaller islands. Diving is top class. Estimate USD 40/boat dive (which is cheap compared to Izu).

Yonaguni is far away and offers the most exciting diving.

Jonathan once bubbled...
Sometimes I have a beer with Patric and friends (but not since I have moved out of Roppongi :( ) but have not really dived with them.

Still not made it to Mikimoto but I am told it is for more advanced divers - but for Japan I'm afraid that is not saying a lot!

Jonathan

I resent that remark, Jonathan! :wink:

It's MikOmoto, not MikImoto, BTW. If you've done a drift dive or two and are NAUI AOW or thereabouts, you should have little if any problems there. The most spectacular stuff to be found there are the hammerheads, but their peak season is in spring and fall. You'll be a bit early if you are here in August, and you'll just see a more lively version of Atami with better vis :)

I heard that the main island of Okinawa isn't all that, but a boat ride of an hour or so will take you to Kerama, which is home to placidly beautiful coral reefs and colorful fish.

Thank you, so does anyone know a scuba club/school that can take from tokyo?

Cheers!
Alrick

sunfish once bubbled...

I resent that remark, Jonathan! :wink:

It's MikOmoto, not MikImoto, BTW. If you've done a drift dive or two and are NAUI AOW or thereabouts, you should have little if any problems there. The most spectacular stuff to be found there are the hammerheads, but their peak season is in spring and fall. You'll be a bit early if you are here in August, and you'll just see a more lively version of Atami with better vis :)

I heard that the main island of Okinawa isn't all that, but a boat ride of an hour or so will take you to Kerama, which is home to placidly beautiful coral reefs and colorful fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom