Dive Sites in Japan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used Reef Encounters for a variety of dives and they are the only shop to use actual dive boats, not chartered fishing boats. They also arrange dives to the southern islands, went to Yonaguni with them last year and had an awesome time.

www.reefencounters.org

Generally speaking, may be late post

There are few English speaking staffs in local diving centre and diving shop conducting a tour.
I know no one so far.

A Good way to enjoy dive in Japan is to have Japanese and English speaking acquaintance.
There are many Japanese working in the base but it is difficult to obtain proper one's under temp stay.
I mean interpreter is needed.

IZU peninsula

-East shore : car and train are available, JR and Izu-kyu(Izu-express), you can be picked up at the nearist station of a dive site or could be at convienient one.

-West shore : car is recommended

Average Fee : Yen 20,000 , 2 tanks boart dive with rental weights, DM, shower and so on......

Yen 13,000 : shore dive with the same
T's and C's.

Buddy dive is not allowed in many sites except Okinawa pref. (Do not ask me why)

Water Temp. 14 to 25C (winter to summer) so 5mm suit recommended

Others : Zushi, Manazuru

all above areas , clearness is not so good but good coral and fish could be found

Okinawa : Air plane ( from Haneda to respective islands in case of Kantoh area )

has WW level wonderful underwater views compaired to Red Sea, Saipan,Guam........

isolated islands are very good as well

Fee : cheaper than mainland

2 boat : 14,000
2 shore : 10,000

I think a fee is expensive using diving centre

Hey crazed_dolphin you wouldn't be talking about the Bubble Club would you? I was in Yokosuka on the Independence from 93 - 95, some of the best diving out there.

sinners:
Thank you for the info.

Know any dive operators there I can hook up with?

Cheers!
Alrick
KadenaJim here. There are several excellent scuba lockers here run by the Air Force, Army and Marines. Okinawa diving ranges from easy entry with lots of soft coral and cuddle fish to small hikes over volcanic rock and drops into water that goes from a shelf at 30 feet to drop offs of over 800. Lots of banded sea snakes, lionfish, eels, stonefish and all of the "finding Nemo" cast of characters. Turtles are a regular.
A favorite for local divers is a 1 1/2 hour boat trip to the Kerama Islands. All the military shops are PADI orentied, with TORY (army) also running a NAUI program. There are aslo many Okinawa dive shops run by the locals (more expensive and language can be an issue).

updating average diving charges

Mainland no guided

A tank : Y2,000
Weights : Y500
Facilities : Y1000
Parking : Y700

Okinawa no guided

A tank : Y1,000 ( or 500)
Weights : Y250
Facilities : Y500
Parking : -

Okinawa guided tour by LDS includes two tanks,weights & facilities

Boart : Y10,000-16,000
Shore : Y9,000

Military rate : cheaper than standard Japanese services

Military club : no info

Isolated Islands : world class , great sites

I take it those are US Mil shore diving prices...

I was just diving for a few weeks in Okinawa
If you hav all your equipment like we did, we were only paying for air (500 Yen) and doing shore dives on the Sunabe wall.

The dive locker in Kadena has really cheap equipent rental and 1 dollar tanks if you can get in with a contact...

JAg

Okinawa Diving Prices for Non-military:

Tanks: Y500
Weights/belt: Y350

Guided Dives:
2 tanks boat: Y9000
2 tanks shore: Y6000
full kit rental for guided dives: Y2000

bilingual divemasters/instructors available.

PM for contact details.

japan-diver:
Okinawa Diving Prices for Non-military:

Tanks: Y500
Weights/belt: Y350

Guided Dives:
2 tanks boat: Y9000
2 tanks shore: Y6000
full kit rental for guided dives: Y2000

bilingual divemasters/instructors available.

PM for contact details.

Kadena Marina runs a boat year-round on the weekend (weather permitting). Cost is 65.00 american, tank rental is 2.00 per tank. It is unlimited bottom tme, meaning whatever order you get in the water, we don't leave till you surface..then we go to the next spot. If you are not associated with the military or DoD, you need a sponser to sign you up. You must have a current cert card. Tsunami gear (Marine dive shop) also runs occasional boats once the season gets started well.

crazed_dolphin,

Go to the following URL. It is great but just a word of warning. You have to have the exact name of the train station to get it to work correctly. I use this site all the time when I travel to Tokyo.

http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/

Rickg

Back
Top Bottom