Dive Trends for 2014?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

..... The Galaxy SIII has a pressure transducer that measures altitude ...... but who's going to produce one with a depth gauge and make it waterproof to 130' or more .....
We put the pressure sensor outside.
divenav_smartdivebuddy4.JPG

.... there are a lot of different phones, so you either make a dozen (or 50) different housings or limit yourself to the market of just a few popular phones. .....
There are also several manufacturers already making underwater housings for the most popular smartphones. We don't need to reinvent the wheel .... We use the ones already available :wink:

divenav_smartdivebuddy1.JPG

.... most people upgrade phones fairly often, probably making the housing obsolete within 2 to 4 years. ..... but it's probably still a significant percentage of the cost of a dedicated dive computer.
We think this type of product should not be seen as an alternative to a dive computer. It is a different animal.
It is an underwater camera (with integrated compass and digital logbook) that displays / compute diving data.
Drawback? Apps DO crash (so DO NOT USE this as your PRIMARY dive computer)

From what I've seen so far this year, I'd say the new trend for my area would definitely be the influx of split fins, and a full face mask. Oh, and definitely moving to a back plate system opposed to a BCD.

Interesting idea, but I don't see it happening. The biggest obstacle is the phone itself. The Galaxy SIII has a pressure transducer that measures altitude (including below sea level elevations that only exist in very deep mines), but who's going to produce one with a depth gauge and make it waterproof to 130' or more especially considering that most aren't even waterproof to 5')?

Somebody could write an inexpensive app that would do the computing, but it still needs the depth info. In theory you could build a waterproof housing that has a pressure transducer and connects through the USB port, but I think there are too many problems. First, there are a lot of different phones, so you either make a dozen (or 50) different housings or limit yourself to the market of just a few popular phones. Second, most people upgrade phones fairly often, probably making the housing obsolete within 2 to 4 years. Third, housings with buttons aren't especially cheap. I'm sure you could make one much cheaper than a camera housing, but it's probably still a significant percentage of the cost of a dedicated dive computer.

igills, idive and scuba capsule all have housings and apps to turn your iphone/ipad into a dive computer.

....... all have housings and apps to turn your ........ipad into a dive computer.
Are you sure about this?
I have not seen yet a single video of an iPad used as a dive computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom