Dive trip recommendation January February 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not trying to argue with you but that package is pretty limiting for all the money - it must be $50 r/t for a cab to take them to Georgetown from CC should they tire of the food or nothing else to do. And a pretty marginal beach.

Or rent a car that sits most mornings for about $400/wk. to be able to do other shore dives when CC is shut down and the other dives too far south for CC to shuttle them to. How many afternoon boat dives does that package include assuming a couple of night dives are included? Or what do they do if it's too rough - lounge around the pool?

I could see it if the budget was $3K - including air. Or a different time of year. Even the summary you provided says weather permitting - not sure if you or they added that.

I'm not trying to argue with you but that package is pretty limiting for all the money - it must be $50 r/t for a cab to take them to Georgetown from CC should they tire of the food or nothing else to do. And a pretty marginal beach.

Or rent a car that sits most mornings for about $400/wk. to be able to do other shore dives when CC is shut down and the other dives too far south for CC to shuttle them to. How many afternoon boat dives does that package include?

I could see it if the budget was $3K - including air.

I'm not arguing with you either, just stating the facts, that package includes 5 afternoon dives, including the Kittiwake and Sting Ray City at no extra charge, see below:

6 x 2-tank AM + 5 X 1-tank PM boat dives (17 boat dives for 7-night package)
Shore diving on resort's house reef off the dock (weather permitting)

Package PM dives may include trips to the Kittiwake and Stingray City at no additional charge, depending on weather

It also includes:
All meals, lodgings, and 3 drinks per night
Airport ground transfers (so there's no $50 rt cab fare needed) and it includes:
Resort fees, taxes and gratuities - except dive gratuities which are NOT included

Nitrox is also extra, but it is a pretty inclusive package, but as I mentioned, the shore diving is unlikely in January because of the winds. The beach is small and manufactured, but they have recently updated the beach and pool area and decking and installed a jetted hot tub and new shore diving facilities.

Did the OP ask for a good beach? I may have missed that. But some of the places he has visited are not good beach destinations - like Bonaire - and some of the suggestions made by others are not good beach options either.

You don't have to rent a car and travel and eat elsewhere on the island if you stay at Cobalt Coast unless you want to, and it doesn't cost $400 to rent a car, at least not in my experience. Car rental is one of the few bargains on GC IMO. A compact car is about $140 for the week, plus the $20 drivers permit. My credit card covers collision and damage in a foreign country, but third party liability is extra and so is road side assistance - if you want that option; but if you have been paying $400 to rent a basic car on GC then you have probably been paying too much.

Grand Cayman is not what I would pick for a January dive vacation because I like warmer water - I wouldn't go to Provo in the T&Cs either, and it is just as expensive as GC, if not more so, and the water is even colder and the reefs are further away.

And we like the chance to enjoy the many amenities available on GC when we visit so we don't stay at an all-inclusive, but a lot of people go to Grand Cayman in the winter, it is peak season and the dive boats are full. And many of the dive ops load passengers up from West Bay Marina and dive the sites on the West and South sides due to the winds, not just Reef Divers.

So if someone is looking for an easy, nearby, and reasonably-priced option, with good diving, then Cobalt Coast is a consideration IMO, but there are other options out there - it's a big world.

Last edited:
Kathy, I've been to Indonesia every year for the last 10 years. What you hear is just full of fearmongering news about the place. Being in Bali is just like in touristic island. It is where the Ausies go for tropical paradise vacation, like the North American going to Caribbean.

No doubt the 24-hour flight is long. That's the big drawback for us coming from USA. However, you just can't beat the airfare cost. Simply just unbelievably cheap relative to the fuel they burn in the air. I don't know how they make money from the business. Or may be the US airlines just take advantage & make tons of money from us for just puddle jumping in less than 5-6 hours of flight with sucky services. You need to try flying with Singapore Airlines one of these days & compare with your experience with US airlines.

I don't need to get all those shots you mentioned to go to Indonesia. You might need to if you intend to go into the jungle of Papua and living in remote villages there. I'm still here after 10 years of visiting various places in Indonesia (Bali, Alor, Manado, Raja Ampat, Maratua Atoll, WaKaToBi, Sumatra, Kalimantan, Java, Sumbawa, Flores, Komodo, Ambon,...). I haven't got sick from malaria or typhoid, etc. (knock on woods). I had a diarrhea, nothing serious and learnt quickly the type of local food that I need to avoid.

I did get bit by a dive bug for the first time in Bali in 2008, after enough diving in Caribbean (Bonaire, Cayman Brac, Utila, Tobago) and don't feel like going back to Caribbean again with such expensive airfares. My next puddle jumping trips will be to San Jose, Costa Rica for Cocos in September & to Los Cabos, Mexico for Socorro in December. The airfares to those two places have been very reasonable, around $400.

Last edited:
I am totally confused. Why recommend something to people that want a dive holiday in January and then say you would not pick it for January?
The folks are looking for advice or pros/cons on where other divers would go or have been to make a decision, not info about a place that it then turns out will not give them what they want. It is not at all economical if you don't get what you want out of the trip. During the winter most boats (those from the EE and SMB and elsewhere) go south. We all end up on our moorings in Red Bay which for us is a hassle but it is part of the business. It is longer hours, more gas, more hassle transporting guests and gear, rushing to load and unload and get off the dock but it is what it is. I don't know of any shore diving opportunities there and the traffic from West Bay, SMB corridor through rush hour traffic heading toward GT is a nightmare. I honestly would not recommend to folks who are looking for a great dive holiday but want to include some shore diving. We have flown both Singapore Airlines and Qantas and the flights while long have been very nice because of the incredible service and the fact that instead of rushing around around airports you actually have a nice sleep on the plane. Our customs and immigration experiences were way better than any US airport we have been through and we did not get any shots. Just because something is posted on the internet does not make it true.

Reactions: Dan
Nope, and how much is the airfare to Indonesia and how many hours of travel to get there from PA?

I've just checked the CDC travel site and they recommend using food and water precautions for Indonesia, as well as vaccinations against Typhoid and Hepatitis, and taking anti-malarial medication before, during, and after travel. How much does that add to the cost and enjoyment of the trip?

I'll never pretend that Cayman is a cheap destination, my argument is that there are various options available to help reduce costs. You don't have to stay in a high-end resort on Seven Mile Beach during the peak season, eat in the priciest restaurants, and pay $60 - $80 per tank to dive.

There are other, more economical options that offer good diving, and Cayman is safe and it's easy and cheap for many people to get there - I just get tired of people automatically dismissing it as "too expensive!"

I posted those all-inclusive options above because the OP said that they had been to Brac and were looking for other destinations - and there are 2 other Cayman islands that can be visited and dived. Jan/Feb may not be the be the optimum times to visit for diving, but it is an option that isn't prohibitively pricey IMO.

Do you work in PR for the Indonesian resorts?

My total number of posts about Indonesia: 1
Your total number of posts glorifying and exalting the Caymans: OMG. Wow. Off the chart. Couldn’t even begin to count.

Seriously Kathy, your posts are very useful and add a lot of value to the board and I understand that you’re in love with those islands (mild understatement) but anyone thinking that the Caymans represent any kind of “bargain” is delusional or very rich. Together with Bermuda, the Caymans are easily the most expensive Caribbean diving destination.

BTW Airfare to Fiji, Philippines or Indonesia from JFK or LAX is most times cheaper than the Caribbean. :wink:

Most importantly, diving doesn’t even begin to compare...:shocked: You should try it some time.

Well, given all of the known parameters that the OP has mentioned. I don't know that any of us has really presented a viable option.
* 3 people
* Dive, Dive Dive
* 8 days door to door from home
* $2,000 per person budget, airfare inclusive
* Assume the OP doesn't want to go back to Roatan, Cozumel, maya riviera, Bonaire, Belize, and Cayman Brac. This is an assumption based on post #1.

Edit: The known parameters were not fully revealed until over half way through the thread. We have all been working off of some false assumptions until recently.

Well, given all of the known parameters that the OP has mentioned. I don't know that any of us has really presented a viable option.
* 3 people
* Dive, Dive Dive
* 8 days door to door from home
* $2,000 per person budget, airfare inclusive
* Assume the OP doesn't want to go back to Roatan, Cozumel, maya riviera, Bonaire, Belize, and Cayman Brac. This is an assumption based on post #1.

Edit: The known parameters were not fully revealed until over half way through the thread. We have all been working off of some false assumptions until recently.

If they don't mind flying half around the world, I suggest to fly to Bali. I've done it several times, including diving 3x/day for 4 days, hotel accommodations & airfare for < $2000.

My typical itinerary:
Fly out of Houston on Saturday ~ 6pm
Arrive in Denpasar on Monday (never see Sunday as you pass the International date line)
Dive 3X/day from Tuesday to Friday
Fly home on Saturday evening ~ 9pm
Arrive in Houston on Sunday ~ 2pm

My dive guide / tour director picking us up at the airport, taking us to the hotel & guide us on the diving. Our favorite dive sites are Tulamben, Padang Bai & Nusa Penida. January & February are fine. It is rainy season, but you go there to get wet anyway.

It is fruit season. You can try few variations of banana, mangoes, and other tropical fruits that you never know they exist.

My total number of posts about Indonesia: 1
Your total number of posts glorifying and exalting the Caymans: OMG. Wow. Off the chart. Couldn’t even begin to count.

Seriously Kathy, your posts are very useful and add a lot of value to the board and I understand that you’re in love with those islands (mild understatement) but anyone thinking that the Caymans represent any kind of “bargain” is delusional or very rich. Together with Bermuda, the Caymans are easily the most expensive Caribbean diving destination.

BTW Airfare to Fiji, Philippines or Indonesia from JFK or LAX is most times cheaper than the Caribbean. :wink:

Most importantly, diving doesn’t even begin to compare...:shocked: You should try it some time.

"Delusional" nice language!

Anyone that thinks that Indonesia is a safe and easy one-week trip is "delusional" IMO. Besides the CDC's health warnings that I have posted above, the US State Department advises travelers to "Exercise increased caution in Indonesia due to terrorism."

Putting aside the safety issues, when I have traveled on vacation to far distant locations I try to plan a 2-week trip, but that's just my preference.

My initial suggestions in this thread were for St. Croix and Curacao. I only mentioned some Cayman options after others had a few suggestions that seemed similar and because the OP had been to Brac and was familiar with the country and diving. Also, I didn't realize that he was including airfare in the total $2K price until later.

But I apologize if I have been annoying, I will try to mend my ways, thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Last edited:
Take a look at Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers on Grand Cayman, comes close to your budget. One bdrm quad is $1290pp, two bdrm quad is $1475pp. This includes accommodations, 2 tank AM daily, breakfast, and rental car. Rooms have full kitchen, we make lunch and many dinners. There are several local restaurants and one on site. Extra 2 tank PM dives would cost you $100-110 each, night dives $75, nitrox $8.25 per tank. Looks like you can get to Grand Cayman from Chicago for $600-650, only looked at American.

OF is a very good operator. They can dive north, east, or south depending on conditions. I dived mainly north on one visit, mainly south on another, both were excellent. Frequent sharks on the southeast corner sites.

I would favor Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers over Cobalt Coast/Reef Divers in the winter for reasons already given. Due to conditions, you may not be able to get out to the north wall and may not be able to take advantage of the shore diving at the resort. In the summer, this would be a perfectly fine alternative. I would want a car at Cobalt Coast to get around, other shore diving sites, see some of the island.

Best of luck, good diving

I am totally confused. Why recommend something to people that want a dive holiday in January and then say you would not pick it for January?
The folks are looking for advice or pros/cons on where other divers would go or have been to make a decision, not info about a place that it then turns out will not give them what they want. It is not at all economical if you don't get what you want out of the trip. During the winter most boats (those from the EE and SMB and elsewhere) go south. We all end up on our moorings in Red Bay which for us is a hassle but it is part of the business. It is longer hours, more gas, more hassle transporting guests and gear, rushing to load and unload and get off the dock but it is what it is. I don't know of any shore diving opportunities there and the traffic from West Bay, SMB corridor through rush hour traffic heading toward GT is a nightmare. I honestly would not recommend to folks who are looking for a great dive holiday but want to include some shore diving. We have flown both Singapore Airlines and Qantas and the flights while long have been very nice because of the incredible service and the fact that instead of rushing around around airports you actually have a nice sleep on the plane. Our customs and immigration experiences were way better than any US airport we have been through and we did not get any shots. Just because something is posted on the internet does not make it true.

Take a look at Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers on Grand Cayman, comes close to your budget. One bdrm quad is $1290pp, two bdrm quad is $1475pp. This includes accommodations, 2 tank AM daily, breakfast, and rental car. Rooms have full kitchen, we make lunch and many dinners. There are several local restaurants and one on site. Extra 2 tank PM dives would cost you $100-110 each, night dives $75, nitrox $8.25 per tank. Looks like you can get to Grand Cayman from Chicago for $600-650, only looked at American.

OF is a very good operator. They can dive north, east, or south depending on conditions. I dived mainly north on one visit, mainly south on another, both were excellent. Frequent sharks on the southeast corner sites.

I would favor Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers over Cobalt Coast/Reef Divers in the winter for reasons already given. Due to conditions, you may not be able to get out to the north wall and may not be able to take advantage of the shore diving at the resort. In the summer, this would be a perfectly fine alternative. I would want a car at Cobalt Coast to get around, other shore diving sites, see some of the island.

Best of luck, good diving

I would personally not pick Cayman in January because I like warmer water, but the OP's budget is a restraint and he has picked the months that he wants to travel, so CC may be an option to consider - that's all. He also said that they are concerned about recent hurricane damage in the Caribbean so that reduces his options even further in that region.

I think that Ocean Frontiers/Compass Point would be a better option too for the diving at that time of year, but it would probably be beyond his budget. It is remote and airport transfers are not included, so he would likely have to rent a car and that adds some expense, and they would also have to prepare or purchase lunch and dinner meals.

Little Cayman would be a better choice for diving than Cobalt Coast IMO, but it is also more expensive and probably booked up already.

He said 3 people but I don't know if that means triple occupancy? If yes - that may bring Compass Point under budget, I don't know. My pricing suggestions were based on double occupancy but the triple occupancy rate for that all-inclusive package at Cobalt Coast is $1,862 pp.

@caydiver, You work for a dive op on Grand Cayman, do you accept customers that visit the island and want to dive in January, or do you refuse their business and advise them to go elsewhere because it is not the best time of year to visit and dive?

I am sure that if they ask in advance for advice about the best time to visit you would give them good advice and honest information, and that you always try to give them the best diving for the conditions during every season, but Grand Cayman is open for business all year round and a lot of divers love it, even in the winter, and some people want to get away from the cold weather back home.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom