Dive trip recommendation January February 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Delusional" nice language!

Anyone that thinks that Indonesia is a safe and easy one-week trip is "delusional" IMO. Besides the CDC's health warnings that I have posted above, the US State Department advises travelers to "Exercise increased caution in Indonesia due to terrorism."

Putting aside the safety issues, when I have traveled on vacation to far distant locations I try to plan a 2-week trip, but that's just my preference.

My initial suggestions in this thread were for St. Croix and Curacao. I only mentioned some Cayman options after others had already suggested a few Cayman resorts like Sunset House, and because the OP had been to Brac and was familiar with the country and diving.

But I apologize if I have been annoying, I will try to mend my ways, thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Yes you may call me delusional for the kind of diving that I get out of it :D

Like I said before, I’ve done it. However I’d prefer two week trip if I could get enough vacation from work.

I just came back from Saudi Arabia, UAE last month. I felt more saver there than here in Houston.

Yes you may call me delusional for the kind of diving that I get out of it :D

Like I said before, I’ve done it. However I’d prefer two week trip if I could get enough vacation from work.

I just came back from Saudi Arabia, UAE last month. I felt more saver there than here in Houston.

Indonesia sounds beautiful and I'm glad that you love it and are happy to recommend it and feel safe there - but what about the food and water issues and the risk of insect-borne tropical diseases? That adds expenses and inconveniences that nobody ever mentions.

When we have traveled to areas with health risks like Roatan, we always visit a travel medicine doctor in advance and we get the vaccinations and we use the anti-malarial medications as prescribed. It costs about $300 or more per person, depending on what vaccines and meds are needed, and our health insurance policies do not cover vacation travel.

So do you take any precautions and how much do they cost, or maybe you are lucky and have coverage? Or do you "just take your chances with malaria?" That really would be "delusional" IMO.

Enjoy those rare, tropical fruits, I hope that you are able to peel them yourself!

Honestly, with that budget I’d say return to Cozumel. Period.

Honestly, with that budget I’d say return to Cozumel. Period.

That could be true, especially in the high season, and going back to Roatan/Bay Islands is another option, but the airfare can be pricey and there are those pesky travel medicine costs to factor in as well.

Last edited:
Kathy, I've been to Indonesia every year for the last 10 years. What you hear is just full of fearmongering news about the place. Being in Bali is just like in touristic island. It is where the Ausies go for tropical paradise vacation, like the North American going to Caribbean.

No doubt the 24-hour flight is long. That's the big drawback for us coming from USA. However, you just can't beat the airfare cost. Simply just unbelievably cheap relative to the fuel they burn in the air. I don't know how they make money from the business. Or may be the US airlines just take advantage & make tons of money from us for just puddle jumping in less than 5-6 hours of flight with sucky services. You need to try flying with Singapore Airlines one of these days & compare with your experience with US airlines.

I don't need to get all those shots you mentioned to go to Indonesia. You might need to if you intend to go into the jungle of Papua and living in remote villages there. I'm still here after 10 years of visiting various places in Indonesia (Bali, Alor, Manado, Raja Ampat, Maratua Atoll, WaKaToBi, Sumatra, Kalimantan, Java, Sumbawa, Flores, Komodo, Ambon,...). I haven't got sick from malaria or typhoid, etc. (knock on woods). I had a diarrhea, nothing serious and learnt quickly the type of local food that I need to avoid.

I did get bit by a dive bug for the first time in Bali in 2008, after enough diving in Caribbean (Bonaire, Cayman Brac, Utila, Tobago) and don't feel like going back to Caribbean again with such expensive airfares. My next puddle jumping trips will be to San Jose, Costa Rica for Cocos in September & to Los Cabos, Mexico for Socorro in December. The airfares to those two places have been very reasonable, around $400.

I am a clinical microbiologist by background so I actually believe in germs and I have seen the effects of tropical diseases with my own eyes - Malaria is a terrible disease that will make you suffer and it can kill you.

And Dengue Fever occurs year-round in Indonesia, so travelers really should take precautions against mosquitos. Scubaboard Staff Member @NYCNaiad got Dengue (but she got it in the Philippines) and she had to stay in the country for 6 weeks and then it took months to recover after she got home, see the link below:
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/posts/8239378/

So I don't agree regarding the travel medicine issues. It hasn't stopped us from traveling to some risky areas but we do follow precautions, and no place in the world is totally safe, not from disease or violence or just bad luck. Heck, they've recently confirmed the first case of West Nile Virus for this year in Cook County, IL, so my back yard isn't safe either, but I use precautions there, too!

But I wish you good luck and happy and safe diving!

Last edited:
Well, given all of the known parameters that the OP has mentioned. I don't know that any of us has really presented a viable option.
Several of us - including both Kathy and I suggested Curacao.

Flights during that time from ORD are $650-750 r/t - lousy return flight overnight though. Add $100 more for the weekend.

2 br 2 ba duplex. condos with private yards at Piscadera Bay Resort are $150/nt on airbnb.

Diving is a few minutes across rhe road at Carib Sea Sports at the Hilton or the western shore sites about 15mins. west. Nice thing is it's also quiet yet 5mins south to downtown. Nice water views down the hill, gated with security patrolling nightly.

A Budget SUV was $450/wk.

6 days unlimited shore diving - full rental package is $160.
So ballpark $350 room/ride, $750 flight, $200 diving - that's $1300PP not counting food or gas.
Centrum Market is 2 mi north. Also Denny's a mile away- and Pirates Bay beach bar within walking distance or the nearby resort restaurants.

Last edited:
Several of us - including both Kathy and I suggested Curacao.

Flights during that time from ORD are $650-750 r/t - lousy return flight overnight though. Add $100 more for the weekend.

2 br 2 ba duplex. condos with private yards at Piscadera Bay Resort are $150/nt on airbnb.

Diving is a few minutes across rhe road at Carib Sea Sports at the Hilton or the western shore sites about 15mins. west. Nice thing is it's also quiet yet 5mins south to downtown. Nice water views down the hill, gated with security patrolling nightly.

A Budget SUV was $450/wk.

6 days unlimited shore diving - full rental package is $160.
So ballpark $350 room/ride, $750 flight, $200 diving - that's $1300PP not counting food or gas.
Centrum Market is 2 mi north. Also Denny's a mile away- and Pirates Bay beach bar within walking distance or the nearby resort restaurants.
Curacao sounds like an awesome option! Definitely a place still on my list.

Well, given all of the known parameters that the OP has mentioned. I don't know that any of us has really presented a viable option.

Ummm...I did (or at least very close), but I really enjoy Curacao as well...:)

I am a clinical microbiologist by background so I actually believe in germs and I have seen the effects of tropical diseases with my own eyes - Malaria is a terrible disease that will make you suffer and it can kill you.

And Dengue Fever occurs year-round in Indonesia, so travelers really should take precautions against mosquitos. Scubaboard Staff Member @NYCNaiad got Dengue (but she got it in the Philippines) and she had to stay in the country for 6 weeks and then it took months to recover after she got home, see the link below:
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/posts/8239378/

So I don't agree regarding the travel medicine issues. It hasn't stopped us from traveling to some risky areas but we do follow precautions, and no place in the world is totally safe, not from disease or violence or just bad luck. Heck, they've recently confirmed the first case of West Nile Virus for this year in Cook County, IL, so my back yard isn't safe either, but I use precautions there, too!

But I wish you good luck and happy and safe diving!

Thanks! I’m a theoretical mathematician by training and I’ll take my chances with diseases in the South Pacific. I’m from Aftica originally and spent 3 years in malaria ridden countries. BTW You have lousy health insurance. My malarial meds cost me $5.00 last year for my Roatan trip. Ditto for all the others. Can’t remember exactly but at minimal cost). Strictly speaking, a frequent Cayman visitor shouldn’t be worried by those pithy incidental costs anyway. A mere pittance compared to the costs of food and diving there.

Seriously, you should try a trip to the IP. You will soon realize how banal Carribean diving is in comparison.

Back
Top Bottom