Dive with martin, why so inexpensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So why would one shop make everyone come up when one person is low on air and another let people come up on their own?

There are many reasons for this so I'll just present a few for you to ponder.

To get everyone back on the boat so it can stay on schedule. This does not apply to my experience with ANY of the shops you mentioned but many years ago one specific shop ran a tight schedule where we made our first dive to about 120 feet & everyone had to surface as soon as the first diver got to 700 PSI, and the second dive was similar allowing their boats to run more trips per day.

Because you've been grouped with other divers with limited drift diving experience. Have you ever had to surface with just your buddy in unknown waters in a boat lane? Could be scary RIGHT?

Because the current is a bit strong & divers may get pulled well away from the marker buoy if the boat isn't right above the ascent zone you're supposed to stay in while going up on your own.

Because many in the group are low count divers & the DM is concerned they might not be capable of doing a proper safety stop.

Then you aren't doing it right. Come back. Get a couple beers. Look for the kibbes guy and get a snack....
If I was going to commute to the marina, it'd be to go out on the boat you go on - but she seems to have plenty of regulars already. I think I really hate driving thru the cruise port and seeing how they have ruined that area twice a day.

DWM has been our dive op since 2002. We've never had any cruisers on our boat, most likely due to the 7:30 departure time. I know they used to run a later boat for them, but I don't know if they still do. I'd never heard of them until we booked a package deal thru someone. Until then we had dove with Dive Paradise, Aqua Safari or Del Mar Aquatics. After using them, we've never looked back.

No problem having the same dive master all week. We've used them all over the years, but prefer Orlando so we just call or email the shop before we go and ask to be put on his boat all week.

When we've asked for 100's we were never charged more for them, even when we first started using them. As far as surfacing as a group, the only dives they've had us do that on are Maracaibo and some of the northern sites, Barracuda, San Juan, Cantarell. On the other "usual" sites using a 100, there's no problem having over an hour bottom time.

They pick us up at our hotel (Hotel Cozumel) about 7:20. Sometimes the surface interval is on a beach/pier, sometimes on the boat. Either works for us, but I actually prefer drifting around on the boat.

They will rinse and store your gear for you if you want them to. There are 8 divers per boat max.

We've never used their rental gear, but often times there is someone on the boat using it and it looks fine. I've never heard any complaints about it not working like it should.

DWM is what a lot of folks call a no frills op. They do provide water and fruit or cookies on the boat, but no lunch and you'll need to bring your own jacket.

All of the shops you mentioned must be doing something right to stay in business with so much competition. I'm sure we'd like them, too, and other's on the island, but DWM works for us.

Whoever you choose, have a GREAT time!

Cool, without rental gear the shops are priced a lot closer but DVM's great 5 day rate and free rentals makes it a no brainer for us. Glad to hear the isn't a "catch" with the lower price. Only thing is they don't rent dive computers but with the money we save we could easily buy two zoops and then we'd own them. Thanks!

Cool, without rental gear the shops are priced a lot closer but DVM's great 5 day rate and free rentals makes it a no brainer for us. Glad to hear the isn't a "catch" with the lower price. Only thing is they don't rent dive computers but with the money we save we could easily buy two zoops and then we'd own them. Thanks!
I believe Cozumel Scuba Repair rents computers. I haven't dove with DWM but I have always heard nice things about them.

And, if I'm reading prior posts correctly, DWM will also rinse and store your gear for you. Less expensive over all AND better service? Wow!

And, if I'm reading prior posts correctly, DWM will also rinse and store your gear for you. Less expensive over all AND better service? Wow!
All the low cost dive ops I've dove with have hired their employees as subcontractors. They don't pay SS and other taxes, so they charge less. Not sure how DWM does it.

What do they do if you book a 5 day rate and the port is closed 3 of the days? Do you pay the higher rate for the 2 days you got to dive, or the rate you booked at?

(On that note: does scuba club cozumel discount if you can't dive?)

Gear can be left with them from what I am told by an employee there, but they do not rinse it and hang it up for you - it stays in the wet bag

---------- Post added December 1st, 2013 at 11:02 AM ----------

I wouldn't say there are any "catches" but there ARE in fact big differences

Without e-mailing shops and asking for a customized quote on what your requests are and comparing what is actually offered, your price comparison is not really accurate.

Have a great trip - if you are looking for a safe no-frills operator - you'll have a great trip with DWM!

Gear can be left with them from what I am told by an employee there, but they do not rinse it and hang it up for you - it stays in the wet bag

You are contradicting their website:

8. Rinse and store your dive gear between dive days (based on available storage space)

You might take it a little easy. Doesn't seem a road we ought to go down, generally....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom