DiveLand and Loch Low-Minn this Weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm, not sure I like the answer I got to the guy on how clean his whips are. Here it is:

"My whips are off a greater than E grade header. They never see anything less than E and Nitrox between 30 and 40%, however, the system has never been O2 cleaned."

I kind of make that out to be.. "I hook the whips up to any and every tank.." Sure the air might be clean, but the valves that the whips have hooked up to could be contaminated. All the stores around me here PP blend, so I have to keep these tanks clean. In a few weeks I will have my other set of doubles all fixed up and I will come up that way when I can make more than 2 dives. So I'm going to have to say no go on Loch Low Minn on Sunday. I guess I'll be headed out to Alabama Blue Water. I haven't talked to Kyle, but I think he was going to stick with me wherever I went, not sure though.

Matt

Well, guess I better call and reserve a spot. Anyone from the ATL area going up can meet me and my buddy John T. at the Waffle Hose @ 75 & Hwy 92 exit near Acworth. Magnolia, can we get a reservation with you and your bro's?

Definately should have cleaned his whip first,:06: but I cant see any contamination problems if he has double filtered class E, which he would if the air is cleaner than E. Also if you ask a lot of shops they would tell you they never clean the hoses O2 clean and I am sure filters need to be replaced more often than most shops do. Other than doing your own air quality check, you cant really be sure who has clean air that is O2 PP clean. A great source of information is the "Oxygen Hackers Companion" @:

http://www.airspeedpress.com/newoxyhacker.html

Well, look forward to meeting a few new faces for those that show up.

Thanks...Hoss

Alabama Blue Water PP Blends, they are definately clean. Unfortunately it's the nature of the beast. I would feel really bad if my tank blew up while someone from the LDS' around here was PP blending in them because I used a questionable whip. It appears the weather could be a tad bit sketchy for blue water so I am going to play it by ear. I wrote Bill at off the wall diving and am seeing what he says about his fill system. Might be heading out to Jocassee if he has clean fills. I'll be somewhere getting wet this weekend, just still not sure where. I would like to go where I have a better chance of avoiding poor weather, but I also have to go somewhere that has clean whips.

I have read the oxygen hackers companion, as well as the regulator repair and maintence book. Both are excellent. I'm not really worried about the air coming out of the setup at Loch Low Minn, I'm sure it's clean. What I'm worried about is that he hooks up his whips to any tanks. If there were contaminates on someones valve that he ties into, they quite possible could transfer onto his whips. Then he takes his whips, hooks em up to my tanks, and transfers the contaminates to my tanks. Small possibility, but still not worth risking someones life over it.

Matt

Good grief there is nothing wrong with Rick's air out there. I've filled my tanks out there every other weekend for the past 3 months both air and when he starting blowing nitrox, we starting filling with 32% and .. GASP Neither slider or myself have had anything happen to our tanks or to us!!! I think that you are making a mountian out of a molehill...

Did you talk to Rick or Dewy, if it was Dewy he is pretty much clueless about what happened when the system was installed because he wasn't working there when they were put in.

I'll call Stacy in the morning Hoss and make a reservation in Dixie Divers that way of you guys get therebefore I do ya'll can hit the water....

Kay

I don't think you understand the principle of o2 clean cylinders. The stores around me when they fill put 80-100% oxygen into my cylinders. Then they top it off with air to bring it down to the mix level. If he is just filling cylinders with 40% of less it isn't going to be a hazard if the cylinder isn't o2 cleaned. This is exactly what he is doing. Filling regular air cylinders, and nitrox only up to 40% (the max without being o2 cleaned). So say you have a contaminated cylinder, and you get it filled with 32%, and only 32% you wouldn't risk an ignition. If you have a cylinder that is contaminated and you Partial Pressure blend in it with 80-100% oxygen, you risk having a really bad day. With levels of oxygen of <40% you risk fires, explosions, and all sorts of other problems. Unfortunately my tanks are filled this way around these parts of town. I have to take these precautions. R L Low is who signed the email.

I just wish I had my other set of doubles ready to go, and I would come up there with 4 tanks of gas and not have to have any issues. Sorry if you think I am making a mountain out of a mole hill, but these are safety precautions that I have to take to ensure the blenders on my tanks are as safe as possible.

If I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me. If I went up there and got an air/nitrox fill I would have to come home, dismantle my doubles, take them to a shop, or o2 clean them myself, and o2 clean the valves. I can tell you this wouldn't be a cheap process if I have to pay a shop to re-clean my cylinders/valves to put them back into o2 service.

Matt

EDIT: I'm not trying to be mean, or state that there is dirty air or anything of the sort with the setup. Unfortunately these are standards I have to follow due to me only being able to get fills via PP around my town.

Well, I just use my handy tank condom when I am unsure what it is being hooked to!!!!

H

Matt do you use the little rubber cover on your tanks... oooh contaminates... do you touch your o ring with your bare hands.. ohhh contaminates..... do you haul them around in the trunk of your car or the back of your pick up where they might be exposed to the fumes off the petroleum.... ohhh contaminates... You might be contaminating my tanks.. they may blow up .. we all might die.. Do you only keep then in a "clean room" and get them filled there...

o2 cleaned isn't that where they pour simple green in your tanks swish it around and then dump it out and rinse it out with water...wait no that might be contaminated too...

Do you think that ummm say Atlanta is the only place on the planet that does partial pressure fills???

Corigan:
I guess I'll be headed out to Alabama Blue Water. I.

hey. FYI.... I read in another thread that Bluewater was closed next
Saturday (aug 13th). (not sure which Saturday you were planning
on going, but didn't want you to dive several hours to find a "closed"
sign on the gate).

-mike

mike_s:
hey. FYI.... I read in another thread that Bluewater was closed next
Saturday (aug 13th). (not sure which Saturday you were planning
on going, but didn't want you to dive several hours to find a "closed"
sign on the gate).

-mike
Thanks for the heads up Mike.

Matt

steelemagnolia6:
Matt do you use the little rubber cover on your tanks... oooh contaminates... do you touch your o ring with your bare hands.. ohhh contaminates..... do you haul them around in the trunk of your car or the back of your pick up where they might be exposed to the fumes off the petroleum.... ohhh contaminates... You might be contaminating my tanks.. they may blow up .. we all might die.. Do you only keep then in a "clean room" and get them filled there...

o2 cleaned isn't that where they pour simple green in your tanks swish it around and then dump it out and rinse it out with water...wait no that might be contaminated too...

Do you think that ummm say Atlanta is the only place on the planet that does partial pressure fills???

Just wanted to let you know that matt is right. Doing premixed is ok to put in a non O2 cleaned tank, but if you have an O2 cleaned tank you dont want to use a wip that may have filled a dirty tank. I use to work for a welding cylinder company and fill O2 tanks for welding. The O2 we used is 90%, and you CAN NOT allow any oils or contaniments to come in contact with straight O2 or you will have a bad day. If your nitrox certified you should know that PP blends are alot different than pre mixed. If you dont know that, and your nitrox certified, you need to get a better instructor, or were you not paying attention in class?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom