DiveLand and Loch Low-Minn this Weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm pretty sure she was just saying that there's alot more involved in keeping contaminates out than just having O2 clean whips...

The moral of the story is, always have extra tanks for plain ole air! :D

Pretty much what I was saying there!!! You guys need to chill the chances of it happening are pretty much about the same as getting eaten by a shark!!! If we all went around trying to find out if their whips were cleaned we'd never get our tanks filled... OMG They don't do it all the time.... Good GRIEF!!!!

Besides I know a couple of the places that you boys are getting your fills at down there and GASP you might be getting contaminated!!!!! They don't O2 clean their whips and they might be touching "infected" tanks....

And by the way they don't "pre-mix" at Lochlowminn... They do partial pressure.. wait they only do that where you are from and then only under clean conditions.... where there are no contaminates floating around....

SuPrBuGmAn:
I'm pretty sure she was just saying that there's alot more involved in keeping contaminates out than just having O2 clean whips...

The moral of the story is, always have extra tanks for plain ole air! :D

I understand that, but she doesnt have to be so darn mean about it. The man just likes to take a little better care of his stuff.

FYI the air at Loch Low Minn, is filtered to greater than E grade, and all of their nitrox is partial pressure blended. what Rich meant was that they just mix to a max of 40%.
as far as the whips thats sorta a none issue. its hard for a whip to get comtaminated when filling a tank, except for the o-ring, since the air pressure in the whip is usally higher than the air pressure in the tank, sort of the same way a clean room works, contaminates cannot flow agaist a greater pressure. then again most tank o-rings are exposed when not connected to something or covered so the o-ring is dirty unless changed every time you use it.
But it all comes down to is if your comfortable getting your fills somewhere do it, if not you can sit in the shade and watch the bubbles. But you should take the time to find out all the facts instead of assuming something from an e-mail when you aren't sure what it means, specialy if you are putting info out for public viewing.

So how were the dives Hoss?

I live by the rules that if you have nothing nice to say, don't say nothing at all. Some people have no tact and are relentless. I could argue many different situations like din blocks, yoke whips, past systems before nitrox that were never cleaned, etc. etc. but who cares, I know I don't. Nor do I make it a point to badger people who believe differently than I do. If the guy from Loch Low Minn wouldn't have danced around the issue on 2 different emails before this thread we wouldn't even be having this conversation. I do however have to say this will be my last response on this issue, as it is pointless. Keep poking fun Steel, I've just met your online persona, but I've already seen it's behind.

Matt

Ok, Back to the dive sites themselves. I have heard of Loch-Low, but this is the first time I have ever heard of Diveland. Where is it? I am a regular Jocassee diver but am always looking for new sites.

Diveland had no divers when I arrived Friday and the man who owns it doesnt do Solo anymore. Liability.....

Loch...Freindly folks run the place, and I talked to Rick about his Nitrox setup, and it is a new blending station set up by a dive shop in Knoxville, all new hozes, lines, etc and air supplied is from his better than Class E filtration and compressor. The O2 runs into a mixer where the air and O2 come together. It has an anylizer at that point to get the mix correct, and is blended to the correct blend at that point. Downstream there is another anylizer that checks gas mix before it enters the tank. Clean and sano setup... This is not like a setup where the whips are just used any old way, and positive pressure is maintained in the lines. This is a totaly new setup, and all the gear was installed by a shop that does installations of this type.

The Loch was good to dive, only 80 ft. deep at the trench though. Also there are a lot of folks around diving, so get I can see the need to get there early to get a spot, although they do take reservations.

It rained most of the day and the weather was cool. My 7 mil was warm, really. We had a good group of divers and we all had a good time. I used a SeaDoo DPV to buzz around the place making quick work of a lap of the quarry. The visibility was OK, best at the far end away from the training platforms and at times was around 30 feet. By the end of the day, you might have had 10-15. The operators told me the rain had also affected the vis a lot over the last few days.

They are open weekdays, so I may go back during the week and dive. You also can camp for 5 bucks, air is 5 bucks and diving is 15 bucks, so not too bad pricewise. They also let you do nightdiving but you have to be out before they lock the gates or you are defacto camping!!

Nice place, wish Diveland was operated more like this place and had the facilities. The owner of DL intimated about selling the property for development....

Good day of diving!!

Oh, I think I may get one of those Dive Rite gadgets and download my fills...:wink: Wonder if they ever sell them???

Hoss

Back
Top Bottom