Divemaster course over 2 weekends?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can imagine the fine print they would have in the advertisement: "Course completable in two weekends by approximately one in one-hundred interested applicants."

True..... but the fact is that if a qualified candidate completes the requirements that are specified by the agency for a particular certification.... and that candidate paid for and completed the agency required course......then they deserve the card for that agency. If there are any issues or concerns with competency or requirements, then the issue is with the agency, not the candidate.

True..... but the fact is that if a qualified candidate completes the requirements that are specified by the agency for a particular certification.... and that candidate paid for and completed the agency required course......then they deserve the card for that agency. If there are any issues or concerns with competency or requirements, then the issue is with the agency, not the candidate.
No disagreement on any of that. I think the “issue” here is with the advertisement.

Reactions: Doc
Link.

Read it with greater care. It’s deceptive but arguably so only for the not-so-clever. Like selling EV cars.

Recruit customers who see a future as a Dive Master. The rest is an easy sell.

Just started looking into DM course. I’m not looking to be a guide or work in the industry and was told the minimum is 2 weeks for the certification.

Link.

Read it with greater care. It’s deceptive but arguably so only for the not-so-clever. Like selling EV cars.

Recruit customers who see a future as a Dive Master. The rest is an easy sell.

"Join our team, become a Dive Master, travel to unique and wonderful destinations, observe diverse cultures, meet interesting people......and then kill them....or yourself! Cheers! "

I won't comment on the logistics of all that must be done in the DM course. I did it before 2010 and not with e learning. I will say that regardless of how good the e learning is, 2 weekends of face to face instruction for the OPEN WATER course IMO is very rushed and too much to digest for a lot of students. Glad I took the old fashioned courses-- OW and DM.

The dive shop in the original post is in the UK and the course is in a quarry. I thought you need a certain amount of boat dives in the course?

I thought you need a certain amount of boat dives in the course?

There is no requirement for boat dives in a PADI DM course. Many parts of the world have great shore diving. My DM course was only shore dives at 4 separate sites 3 of which had multiple distinct areas to dive. (plus lots of time in the pool)

Mine was significantly longer than 2 weekends though.

Just started looking into DM course. I’m not looking to be a guide or work in the industry and was told the minimum is 2 weeks for the certification.
If you are not looking to guide or work in the industry, DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON A DM CERT!

The DM course will not make you a better diver or even give you the advanced theory you could get in an AN/DP course, a good Intro to Tech, or something like the NAUI or SEI Master Diver courses that are instructor-level skills and theory without the teaching component.

And unlike DM, you won't have to pay an annual fee or carry insurance.
DM makes no sense for those not planning to work in the industry. Guiding with a DM cert opens you up to liability that just going diving with buddies, and you happen to know where something is doesn't.

If you have a DM cert and are not insured, something goes wrong on a dive, and someone gets hurt, or worse, that cert is going to be seen by the survivors as "You're a professional. You should have known better! I'm going to sue you!"

Two buddies getting into trouble is more like "both of you screwed up. I know you did what you could."
That professional rating is a double-edged sword.

I'm a retired instructor. At this point, I have zero desire to take anyone else diving unless they are damn clear that they are the ones in charge of the dive. They will plan it, decide if it's a go or no go, and I'm just along for the swim. I no longer have active instructor insurance, and I'm not taking any responsibility for anyone else beyond normal buddy skills.

On challenging sites or dives, I'd rather dive solo or with someone who is an active pro or, at a minimum, a skilled and experienced tech diver. Even then, I want to make it clear that I'm not in charge.

I've consulted on too many cases and offered opinions off the books to risk putting myself and what I have in jeopardy.

If you get a DM cert, and don't work in the industry, you still should be insured just in case. If something happens on a dive and lawyers get involved, you will have to explain why you did what you did or did not do. That DM cert also obligates you to file a report with the agency you have the cert through. They will be insured.

And if you aren't, they aren't going to have your back if there is the smallest indication you were acting in a professional capacity or accused of acting in a professional capacity. One agency, for sure, will throw you under the bus and even drive it back and forth over you for good measure.

Thanks for the feedback. I don’t mind that the DM course has a teaching component, I actually like that and very interested in learning more and brushing up on skills. I really enjoyed the rescue course, I’m a very confident diver with 450 logged dives and like the challenge of the DM course.

If I’m doing the course just for myself and not to work or guide, I don’t need to pay the annual renewal fee or get liability insurance correct?

Back
Top Bottom