Divemaster fitness requirements?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, no, no. Breath control and stillness. I don't care WHAT you weigh... you're far more buoyant than you realize.
I apologise for not putting a big ol smiley at the end of my last post. It was a joke.--its a bit of a standing joke with my dive buddies that the reason I use so little lead is that ive allready got built in metal weights. :)
On a positive note-100m warmup then 400m then 100m warmdown this morning. 8 weeks to go to start the DM training AND my crewpack is "somewhere" in NZ--not sure where.

Reactions: RJP
To put a perspective on the requirements.
Im out of shape right now (had knee surgery last year).
Im a confident swimmer. But never really done much more than the occasional lengths and then just leisure swimming with my family.
I jumped in the pool this morning as I was interested in seeing how long 400m takes me. I have a pretty steady breast stroke swim and it took me 9 mins 40 seconds.
So I'm sure with a little training I could get under the 8.40 for a 4.

Im a ways off going for dm. But I plan to. So I'm going to start swimming most mornings and I think it will be easy enough.
I've always found front crawl only works for me for a few lengths. I don't think my breathing rhythm is right. So I stick to breast stroke and long distance it's faster for me. But I think I'll try and do front crawl as my fitness recovers.

Note that you can't pass with bare minimum requirements, so therefore you have to put some effort into this. In my experience, average scores would be 2 for the 400m, 3 for the 800m, 3 for the tow, 5 for the float (I won't let anybody off with less than a 5!), 4 for the exchange - that's averages based on a loose guess of several hundred DMTs in a big CDC.

C.

For the 400m, in open water I can kill that, but I'm terrible turning on walls in a 50m pool, so I'd end up with a 1, same with the snorkel thing, I tend to alternate between alternating fin kicks and dolphin kicking, probably a 3, but the tread, float, bob test gives me the giggles... I'm naturally positively buoyant in my current physical stature, I can literally FLOAT with my head above water, so treading is easy and I could probably do the whole 15 minutes with hands out of water just with legs. 5.

The question I have is about the equipment swap... I'm a big guy, swapping my equipment to someone else, no worry, but I'm not going to be donning someone else equipment underwater or on the surface? how do they work around that part? just let me do a double reverse and swap back for my own equipment? The way i see this drill is that you have one reg between the two of you... maybe I'm nuts, but I'm pretty sure I could get out of my rig, on one breathe of air, swap and clear my mask on another, and into a different rig on another, I'd hope my partner could do all their work while they breath off the reg... or are you supposed to be more conservative and swap the reg back and forth more?

---------- Post added May 6th, 2015 at 09:41 PM ----------

I obviously do not agree. A grade of D is passing some standard, a grade of A indicates a better grasp of the subject or in this case, exceeding that standard, whatever, it is is only a good thing to exceed a minimum standard unless squeaking by is the goal. I think my parents always expected an A. Too bad I did not always get them. If something is worth doing then it is worth do well. A minimum standard is a starting point of acceptance, not an end goal. Perhaps it is my fault and that I am adding the word minimum to a standard that seems fairly minimal. My mistake. Carry on as one sees fit.

And I thought in another thread it was decided by consensus that a gear swap was meaningless? I do not think I could fit into my wife's gear nor her into mine? If one is to have standards, perhaps they should be actually relevant. Meh.

N

I have never been one that just HAD to overachieve. If I knew i had the ability outright to exceed the standards, I generally always did. In this instance, i'm a solid swimmer, I earned my swimming and lifesaving merit badges as a Scout, go my mile swim badge, and was the guy that did the river crossing when we did our rope bridge river crossing in the Army. But the caveat to that is that NONE of those were done to a real time standard. Slow and steady in the water is much safer than burning yourself out, so I am not sure what the DM standard is trying to prove.

In the military, such a standard would be represented by a real world scenario to support the need to perform the task, and perhaps encourage the trainee to excel more. i.e. "the 400m swim simulates a real world emergency where the DM candidate might need to respond to a victim in the water up to 400m away, the time standard exists to allow for the DM candidate to successfully complete the task with enough energy to support themselves and assist another diver"

Now, there's a reason to swim faster.

The gear swap is the same issue. I'm 300+, and my kit will fit anyone I pair up with, but the reverse isn't true, and so what's the point? why not simply require that the gear be removed and re-donned by both divers using only one reg? Which is more likely.

The relevancy to this task I have witnessed. I've seen someone have to remove their gear to get it untangled from a line on a wreck, and at one point, they had to accept a secondary from their buddy to cut away the line by their own valve. Of course, there were actually three divers all hovering within 5 feet watching, but there are times that removing your gear might be necessary (a tank that slips out of the tank band is another I've witnessed)... so, I can see this if you are removing and redonning your own gear, but the swapping part of the task seems like it lacks any foundation.

Isn't the gear swap using literally one reg. as in breath in. Pass to friend. They breath in. Pass it back and so on???

Almost, just with a slight twist "In confined water, demonstrate the ability to effectively respond to an unusual circumstance underwater by exchanging all scuba equipment (except exposure suits and weights) with a buddy while sharing a single regulator second stage."

So, you are doing the above while you both remove your gear, and the put their gear on. I am assuming that in the scenario such as mine, the instructor overseeing the test would simply say to both remove your gear, hand it to the other person, and then swap again and redon your own gear.

For the 400m, in open water I can kill that, but I'm terrible turning on walls in a 50m pool, so I'd end up with a 1

If you're saying that you would get a 5 in open water, but a 1 in a 50m pool, then that just doesn't make sense. It would mean that it takes you longer to turn around than it does to swim 1 length of the pool.

I would suggest having the lane markers removed and swimming a 400m circle :)

Come on now, who wants a DM who can barely make the requirements vs. one who is fit and is a very proficient, confident, and strong swimmer?

On the equipment swap we were allowed to start in each other's gear. Many have done this I hear, and it is "legal". As far as breathing from one regulator (er, formerly "buddy breathing"--sort of--)- It didn't matter how often you switched who was breathing. There is no rule on that--such as the old "buddy breathing" technique and taking two breaths each time you get the 2nd stage. We had no set plan --played it by ear. Sometimes one person could do a lot without needing a breath, so he'd just keep going.

Almost, just with a slight twist "In confined water, demonstrate the ability to effectively respond to an unusual circumstance underwater by exchanging all scuba equipment (except exposure suits and weights) with a buddy while sharing a single regulator second stage."

So, you are doing the above while you both remove your gear, and the put their gear on. I am assuming that in the scenario such as mine, the instructor overseeing the test would simply say to both remove your gear, hand it to the other person, and then swap again and redon your own gear.

But doff and don is not the purpose of the skill, as you've cited above. The added stress of exchanging the gear is important to creating "an unusual circumstance."

---------- Post added May 6th, 2015 at 11:05 PM ----------

On the equipment swap we were allowed to start in each other's gear. Many have done this I hear, and it is "legal". As far as breathing from one regulator (er, formerly "buddy breathing"--sort of--)- It didn't matter how often you switched who was breathing. There is no rule on that--such as the old "buddy breathing" technique and taking two breaths each time you get the 2nd stage. We had no set plan --played it by ear. Sometimes one person could do a lot without needing a breath, so he'd just keep going.

Do keep in mind that the diver with no reg needs to be "blowing bubbles" the whole time.

The only thing my gear exchange buddy and I discussed prior to the exercise was that the person without the reg chose the next piece of gear and set the pace. The main focus of the person WITH the reg in their mouth is to pay attention to the buddy WITHOUT the reg and be ready to hand it back upon request. And also... don't wait until you're desperate for a breath before requesting it back.

So I just did my second training session in the pool on my long journey to dm stardom. Lol. Well ok I went swimming.

Did the 400 in 9.10 tonight doing breast stroke. So I think even with no training I think I could go all out and maybe get the 8.40.

I compared myself to the other lane swimmers. My 9.10 pace is about 34 seconds a length. A hardcore triathlon guy was doing 25 second lengths. I would say my 34 second pace was in the top 3rd of the 20 or so people swimming tonight. But I think most were doing more than 16 lengths.

So so this is my long winded way of saying I think any slightly above average swimmer should easily get a 4 with a little practice. A 5 is a very fast pace, even triathlon man would be close at the pace he was doing tonight. But as I'm unlikely to be doing dm for a while yet I'm going to try and get as close as I can to that 6.30 time.
I think I'd need some stroke lessons to switch to front crawl for that though. But I need better fitness to get my breathing right before that switch I think.

Reactions: RJP

Back
Top Bottom