Divemaster Mapping Project - Tips anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jldodd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've nearly completed all aspects of my divemaster training but I've been a bit stymied by the mapping project.

My instructor has given me the basic parameters of the project and what he expects to see, but my big dilemma is choosing where to do it. Most of the places that are accessible by shore have been mapped (or aren't worth mapping).

For example Venice Beach, Reef Guy's guide is great and gets you there but once you are in, there are no significant depth changes or features to note for the map.

Doing a map via a boat dive may be difficult in case you can't complete a full assessment in one dive. Not too many trips drop you on the same spot for multiple dives thus requiring you to take multiple boat trips to ensure an accurate map... that's a bit too expensive for my taste!

My instructor did not say that I couldn't map something that was already mapped but to me I find that redundant. I want to map a place that will be of a benefit and not just an exercise.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jeff

My three cents:

1. I don't think there is any bar on mapping something that has been mapped before. Practically every Divemaster qualified in the BVI did their map on the wreck of the Rhone.

2. Aim for wrecks. They are just that bit more "definitive"

3. Don't worry too much. Most Divemaster maps that I have seen look like they were drawn by a kindergarten kid (which is perhaps to be expected, given the conditions). Never met anyone who was flunked on this basis yet.

Wow what a great opportunity you have! I was assigned a specific section of a local dive site. You have the entire area to pick from. I mapped an area that has been mapped many times over, but the point of the exercise is to develop the skill, not necessarily to show a different rendition of the site. If I were you, I would find your favorite spot to dive several times, and get to work. I took 6 dives to map my area. I found it to be a bit labor intensive. I also experienced task loading during the early stage of my map until I found the best way for me to accomplish the rough drawing. I had to sort that out quickly, or I would still be working on it. Then all you have to do is translate your field notes onto a final draft with what ever detail you see fit. Have fun with it and let us know how it goes.:D

I did mine in conjunction with 4 (?) other DM candidates. The goal for us was to use the mapping project so that we'd know the site cold -- then when we took a student "on tour" we could wow them with our knowledge of the site!

As it turned out, my job was to verify the measurements taken by the others. As part of that, I took pictures of the objects found and inserted them into the "map" which I "drew" in Photoshop and then submitted as a PDF. It actually helped me and is useful.

And yes, this site had been mapped by many -- but now I know it!

Thanks everyone! I had a feeling I was making this harder than I needed to. I'll let everyone know how it goes. It'll be a few weeks before I can get out to do it, so I'll put up my trip report then.

Thanks again!

Not sure where in Florida you are but I will be in Palm beach in two weeks and plan on mapping the Blue Herron bridge site. I too am finishing up my DM. It is a great site to map as it has two boats on the bottom, steep sides and all of the pylons of the bridge. If your close, PM me and we can do it together.

Bruce

Not sure where in Florida you are but I will be in Palm beach in two weeks and plan on mapping the Blue Herron bridge site. I too am finishing up my DM. It is a great site to map as it has two boats on the bottom, steep sides and all of the pylons of the bridge. If your close, PM me and we can do it together.

Bruce

PM Sent.

My instructor did not say that I couldn't map something that was already mapped but to me I find that redundant. I want to map a place that will be of a benefit and not just an exercise.

For my DM project we actually mapped something that's been done dozens of times before - the most common local dive site. We redid it because we wanted to make a nice poster sized map with lots of underwater photos for the wall of the dive club - something for the student divers to see in preparation for their OW dives there.

Maybe a new take on an old site is worth thinking about...

Graph Paper.
Protractor
Clipboard and Pencil
Compass.
300' reel with knots every ten (20,30, depends on vis) feet.

Run Reel out from entry point and note, depth and structures at every knot. Stick to a course heading on your compass in a straight line. Come back to double check your data.

Once on shore, use the protractor to note direction/heading on graph paper using the graphing intersections to represent a knot on the reel. Move five degrees (depending on vis) to the right (I guess I should mention to start at far left if not doing a 360 degree map). and repeat.

Doing this exercise in a team is great.

At the end of this exercise, you should have some good compass skills, better reel skills, better UW cartography and should know every nook and cranny of that dive site. If you did it in a team fashion ... you should have also developed better team building skills which is essential in dive training and leadership.

jcf

For my DM project we actually mapped something that's been done dozens of times before - the most common local dive site. We redid it because we wanted to make a nice poster sized map with lots of underwater photos for the wall of the dive club - something for the student divers to see in preparation for their OW dives there.

Maybe a new take on an old site is worth thinking about...

Good thought... I appreciate it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom