Divemaster ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Militant83

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm interested on taking the PADI Divemaster course. My question is should I jump right in to it or try to attain the PADI Master Diver cert first then go for Divemaster next year ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as you are a rescue diver, you can go straight into the PADI dive master course. How many dives do you have under your belt? Have you taken any of the key specialities? (deep, nav, buoyancy). How confident are you of your diving abilities in various conditions? I'd also suggest starting to train now. The swim tests are pretty rough. Get split fins for the 800 meter/yard test. I'm in the middle of my DM certification btw.

Kosta

As long as you are a rescue diver, you can go straight into the PADI dive master course.

Not quite. You must have 40 logged dives to begin the course along with the rescue diver certification.

There is no real advantage in getting your Master Scuba Diver cert if your ultimate goal is DM. The more training and experience you get the better it should prepare you for your journey in to professional dive level.

Why do you want DM? Its an expansive question that has been done to death inside out on this board. If you want to work with it then DM is generally not enough, you'll need an instructor ticket. If you just want recognition for training earned then bear in mind that your DM ticket comes with yearly dues you have to pay to maintain.

Research it and if you want to go for it then really research who/where to do it as that will have a huge impact on the final result.

What do you want to do with diving? Do you want to improve yourself or become someone involved in the industry? That answers your question....

If you plan on working on a boat in any capacity or assist classes or going for instructor rating then do DM. You will be able to get/buy liability insurance..figure $600 for the course, $450 learning materials,elearning fee,application fees,insurance, additional gear,possible boat or dive site entry fees.
with as few dives you have posted figure this as a likely 2year project if done unless you do a zero to hero type program.

My goal with DM is to use it to expand my diving knowledge, experience and to work along side of a few of my buddies that are instructors. At some point Id like to go the instructor route. I already have a pretty good place to take the course through. And plan to take my time with it and not rush through it. I still need to get through rescue and was going to begin dive theory online to get that out of the way.

But by time I complete rescue and the rest of my PSDA training ill have the required dives to move on to the rest of DM. DM will also aid me in supervising younger divers in training on the dive team.

Just my two cents, this is how I handled that decision, and it's just my personal perspective for what it is worth. I have been approached in the past to pursue DM/Instructor. I did not. I think it would be great and rewarding to a degree, not to mention a great tax vector for my obsessive habit. Liability was my issue. Especially when you consider the income potential, which is virtually squat for DM. When you become DM/Instructor or the like the liability follows you everywhere you dive until the statute of limitations for you expires. Fun dives for some seem to become worrisome dives if you are paranoid about getting your life savings snatched up by the legal system. I know several instructors that join us show up with their AOW cards only and keep a low profile on purpose.
Like the question posted above, why do you want it? If you want to get better at diving then I would skip Master and DM and take a Cavern/Overhead class. I feel that DM is more about training you to handle others in the water, instead of handling yourself at a significantly higher level.
Like I said above, just the way I looked at it personally :)

Edit: I read your post above after typing and I see a more thoughtful approach your considering. Sorry if I came off in a cynical way, but as I said giving my opinion and choices. The PSDA route adds some depth to your mission. The don't rush part was key to me. It's the journey, not the destination. Have fun, that's what diving is all about.

Last edited:
I'd also suggest starting to train now. The swim tests are pretty rough. Get split fins for the 800 meter/yard test. I'm in the middle of my DM certification btw.

Kosta

At the risk of sounding "over the top" I think that anyone doing their DM who thinks that "the swim tests are pretty rough" should get zeros across the board in the watermanship evaluations just for thinking that.

In all seriousness, the slowest allowable times border on being a non-swimmer.

My 2 cents is: Maybe you should get a few more dives than the minimum of 40 required. I say maybe because of course people vary. As long as you are interested in either leading divers or assisting with students then I would go for it. DM course will also increase your ability with the skills (I'm talking about the 20 skills taught in the pool, such as mask clearing, scuba unit removal, etc.--basic skills such as buoyancy should already be in great shape)--you have to do them to "demonstration" quality, which obviously means you will be improving them for yourself as well. Other than that, DM course does little to actually improve your diving.
I will add that for the 400 Swim test, training to get a good time may be in order--this, unlike the other stamina tests, involves good stroke technique and in shape SWIMMING muscles (ei. running to get in good shape is probably of very marginal help).
Liability: This has been discussed in depth and a common theme was that it doesn't help really for a DM or Instructor to just present an AOW card when vacation diving. If an incident occurs, lawyers will probably start by finding out the certification of those involved and perhaps of all that were simply at the scene.

Back
Top Bottom