Diver Death in Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I can say is it was with Diver's Down in the Cayman Island. They have not released any names yet. You can google it Diver Death Cayman Island and it will come up about the "accident" but only vague information because it is still under investigation. But I did get the Autopsy results and it was not good new. He was healthy and it was the DM's fault as far as I am concerned but the court will be the deciding factor.
My husband and I are experienced divers with about 350 dives each and have used at least 20+ dive operations around the world.We dove with the same organization you spoke of (Diver's Down) just a year ago (May 2008) for ONE dive trip. We could hardly believe the way the dives were handled. First, it was a very, very small boat. With just 6 divers and the captain we were literally falling all over each other. Four of the divers were inexperienced (2 had been certified less than a week).Second, the boat captain was also the divemaster, which meant no one was on board watching for bubbles or emergencies.Third, we never got any instruction about how to call for help if we got to the surface before he did, or any recall for divers procedures. After our dives were done, we both decided Diver's Down's lack of safety measures were dangerous, and we wouldn't be back to dive with them.
I am so sorry for the loss of your friend.

Every PADI shop I have been diving with has never questioned me about depth. I just don't like to go deeper that 60ft.

Yes you are certified to go to 100ft with advanced you have to do a deep dive to 130ft to get you cert.

No, fosterboxermom, that is incorrect. OW you do 60 ft, advanced you do 100 ft dive. You are cleared to dive to 130 ft, if you like, but 130 ft it is not a necessarly or a perfomed dive task to get your AOW card. You said he has just been certified and that would mean he was only supposed to dive to 60 ft, not deeper. Did the DM know he was that new and had only a OW card?

Rosebud, thank you for backing me up!! Now maybe some of these people will know what I am talking about. If not they can go to the Cayman's and dive, but good luck. they are taking their lives and their buddies lives in their hands. I am just trying to spread the word that one particular shop is not operation according to Cayman laws and regulations and the DM we had was unprofessional in my opinion and caused my friend his life.

Very informative post. Thank you.

My husband and I are experienced divers with about 350 dives each and have used at least 20+ dive operations around the world.We dove with the same organization you spoke of (Diver's Down) just a year ago (May 2008) for ONE dive trip. We could hardly believe the way the dives were handled. First, it was a very, very small boat. With just 6 divers and the captain we were literally falling all over each other. Four of the divers were inexperienced (2 had been certified less than a week).Second, the boat captain was also the divemaster, which meant no one was on board watching for bubbles or emergencies.Third, we never got any instruction about how to call for help if we got to the surface before he did, or any recall for divers procedures. After our dives were done, we both decided Diver's Down's lack of safety measures were dangerous, and we wouldn't be back to dive with them.
I am so sorry for the loss of your friend.

Every PADI shop I have been diving with has never questioned me about depth. I just don't like to go deeper that 60ft.

It's not their job to question you about that. Depth is YOUR decision. There are no depth police, but the DM should have known not to take that group to 100 ft. Actually, he had two groups at different depths, right? Very bad.:shocked2:

yes the DM knew he had just gotten his c card and he admitted that he didn't keep track of his diver's and he knew he was missing but decided to continue the dive anyway.

True to do the AOW you only have to dive to 100ft however I was going to do my AOW with this shop and they were going to have me dive to 130ft.

I thought with PADI the depth ratings were as followed:

OW - 60ft
AOW - 100ft
Deep Diver Specialty - 130ft

It's been a couple of years, but that's what I thought.

*That is not the important thing. The important thing is that a diver died and there are family and friends suffering. IF the dive shop is operating unlawfuly or safely, then I honestly hope this incident will be the one to put the shop out of business.

yes the DM knew he had just gotten his c card and he admitted that he didn't keep track of his diver's and he knew he was missing but decided to continue the dive anyway.

True to do the AOW you only have to dive to 100ft however I was going to do my AOW with this shop and they were going to have me dive to 130ft.

Very bad for this "DM", if all is as you say, which I believe at this point.

You are right UNDR! They are prosecuting the Dive Shop that I know for a fact. Whether or not the DM is held accountable, I don't know yet. We will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom