Diver death in Laguna

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MoonWrasse:
Well, the correct thing is for the rescuers to refrain from talking too much to the press,
and instead tell them that an investigation is underway.
The press too often misconveys any facts, which can harm the friends and family.

Having said that, I am always wanting to know more. It's inly human to want that.

I'm sure that is *exactly* what the rescuers did, since we don't have any info as of yet.

This hits too close to home, since myself and alot of my friends dive here on a weekly, sometimes daily basis year round.

Diver_Jan:
I'm sure that is *exactly* what the rescuers did, since we don't have any info as of yet.

This hits too close to home, since myself and alot of my friends dive here on a weekly, sometimes daily basis year round.
Unfortunately it's not the first fatal accident of a 20 something OW class diver I know of this year. In some respect these are a greater head scratcher than other fatal accidents, IMO.

Oddly, I haven't heard anything either. Maybe Gordy down at Laguna Sea Sports has head something. I keep looking in the paper to see if there are any updates, but haven't seen anything.

Moon Wrasse, I agree with you. That is why I am curious to know the details. I do know the Long Beach Scuba Show is coming up at the end of June. Ken Kurtis along with the LA Coroner's office will be doing a presentation on 'Why Divers Die.' It sounds morbid, but I think it will help us to be more in 'check' and cautious.

I dive all the time in Laguna and am a pretty confident 'beach diver' but I'm sure there are areas to improve upon.

I did a couple of google searches and one article I read implied a heart attack. Found this on coastlinepilot.com:

"Man dies off Diver's Cove

Police are investigating the death of a 29-year-old man who was scuba diving Sunday off Diver's Cove.

The victim, Carlos Garcia of Covina, was participating in a scuba certification program sponsored by Sports Chalet in Arcadia, Marine Safety Chief Mark Klosterman said. The victim was beginning his second dive when an instructor said he made an unusual sound and movement, lifeguard Tom Trager said.

The diver was in full cardiac arrest as lifeguards arrived on the scene. Medics and fire department personnel were unable to revive him, Trager said. Garcia was pronounced dead at 1:10 p.m at South Coast Medical Center."

I was having breakfast one morning in a restaurant when a guy at a table near me died of a heart attack. It was exactly like that - an unusual sound and movement. It sounds like Mr. Garcia could've passed away doing almost anything strenuous. It was just his time. Such a shame that he was so young - my condolences to his family.

John

Back
Top Bottom