Diver Death in Los Angeles- Point Fermin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The link Cynde gave said he was an instructor. If that is true this will be very unsettling for many when the name is released. :(

CompuDude:
I want to know what the hell the guy's buddy (or buddies) was doing surfacing without him. Wreck diving is NOT a solo activity..

I thought the same. Then remembered the "Standard Lost Buddy Dril" is "look for one minute then surface". So let's assume he was with his budy then he poked his head under a rock to peek at something. Buddy noticed his buddy is not close by so he looks around for a minute and then surfaces expecting to find his buddy there. No need to assume solo diving (yet) standard proceadures could explain leaving a buddy underwater.

BTW I've never liked the look for one minute rule. I figure it the diver is at the surface he can stay there for an hour but if he is in trouble underwater I've got only a few minutes to find him. I'd prefer a "look for four minutes" rule.

These guys were on rebreathers. If I had to guess it was an equipment problem that got him but who knows.

ChrisA:
I thought the same. Then remembered the "Standard Lost Buddy Dril" is "look for one minute then surface". So let's assume he was with his budy then he poked his head under a rock to peek at something. Buddy noticed his buddy is not close by so he looks around for a minute and then surfaces expecting to find his buddy there. No need to assume solo diving (yet) standard proceadures could explain leaving a buddy underwater.

BTW I've never liked the look for one minute rule. I figure it the diver is at the surface he can stay there for an hour but if he is in trouble underwater I've got only a few minutes to find him. I'd prefer a "look for four minutes" rule.

These guys were on rebreathers. If I had to guess it was an equipment problem that got him but who knows.
The problem is not so much that they surfaced without him as they lost him in the first place. That's where the buddy failure would have occurred. I know, excrement occurs, but still, they should have had some idea of where he was, so they could give the info to the rescuers who were later unable to find him.

If it turns out he was solo diving, then the error could still be termed a buddy failure. Lack of a buddy, in this case. I don't feel wrecks are safe enough to be dived solo, no matter what your experience level is. Structural failures happen regularly as wrecks age, and that will mess you up no matter how much experience you have, so the buddy system is particularly important for wrecks, IMO.

My condolences to the family and friends. A lesson to be learned is one disadvantage of rebreather is no bubbles. I have used bubble both underwater and on the surface to find other divers.

CompuDude:
The problem is not so much that they surfaced without him as they lost him in the first place. That's where the buddy failure would have occurred. I know, excrement occurs, but still, they should have had some idea of where he was, so they could give the info to the rescuers who were later unable to find him.

If it turns out he was solo diving, then the error could still be termed a buddy failure. Lack of a buddy, in this case. I don't feel wrecks are safe enough to be dived solo, no matter what your experience level is. Structural failures happen regularly as wrecks age, and that will mess you up no matter how much experience you have, so the buddy system is particularly important for wrecks, IMO.

Condolences would be in order before speculating on technique or protocol. Overhead penetration can be accomplished in teams and solo. Big Q: How many wrecks have you penetrated? X

Mr.X:
Condolences would be in order before speculating on technique or protocol. Overhead penetration can be accomplished in teams and solo. Big Q: How many wrecks have you penetrated? X

Thanks for that one Mr. X ...

Condolences to the family. Very Sad ..

Bob

Sad, very sad. This is the second instructor death involving a rebreather in the past few months. The last was our own Bigjetdriver. Condolences.

Regards,

Betail:
My condolences to the family and friends. A lesson to be learned is one disadvantage of rebreather is no bubbles. I have used bubble both underwater and on the surface to find other divers.

It's been reported the diver was on a CCR. There would be no bubble trail. If it was a semi-closed unit there would be some bubbles.
Bill

The reports cited a ******* ******* if I recall correctly. I do not know him or the shop he may have been out of, but still it is always sad to lose a member of our community. I will wait to hear any specifics if given regarding the incident. I have been on the Psalty V and it is a good reliable boat following usual Tech protocols so I know they did their best. I hope the 3 buddies are OK through the ensuing days. To lose a buddy from ANY circumstance I am sure is devastating.

Why are so many of these deaths by themselves. Four people why go up with only three.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom