Diver death off Block Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstudley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I posted this in 'Accidents and Incidents' but I wanted to post it here as well in case anyone missed it. The did release the name of the diver tonight on the news but will not post it here. My condolences to family and friends. Can't think of anywhere else but the uboat given the location.....

more info here:

http://www.uscgnewengland.com/exter...ocumentID=81766

Press Release Date: Aug. 28, 2005

(888) 728-7194

COAST GUARD ASSISTS UNCONSCIOUS DIVER

BOSTON - A Coast Guard crew aboard a 47-foot rescue boat from Station Pt. Judith, R.I. is currently aboard a dive boat conducting CPR on a diver who went down 120 - feet, resurfaced unconscious and not breathing seven miles east of Block Island, R.I.

The diving boat is heading to Station Pt. Judith where emergency medical services is waiting to take the diver to Kent County Hospital.

The Coast Guard received the call around 1:30 p.m. and the crew from Station Pt. Judith arrived on scene soon after.

Gawd my heart goes out to this diver. It was rough out there yesterday. Many factors could have made for a bad dive. Humidity, Sun, waves etc. I cut out the name for respect but the article with name can be found at

http://cbs4boston.com/rinews/

Here is another report.

ies off coast of Rhode Island
Sunday August 28, 2005

BLOCK ISLAND, R.I. (AP) A 41-year-old man died Sunday while diving off the coast of Rhode Island, according to the Coast Guard.

(name with held ) was diving seven miles east of Block Island at a depth of 120 feet when he lost consciousness, the Coast Guard said. He was not breathing when he returned to the surface.

Other divers called the Coast Guard for help around 1:30 p.m. Emergency workers tried in vain to revive the man.

(name withheld) hometown and the name of the boat he was on were not immediately released.

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

In the interest of timeliness, this story is fed directly from the Associated Press newswire and may contain occasional typographical errors.

Here's the ProJo article (I hate that free registration nonsense):

N.J. diver fatally stricken near U-boat wreck off Point Judith

01:00 AM EDT on Monday, August 29, 2005

BY CATHLEEN F. CROWLEY
Journal Staff Writer

A 60-year-old scuba diver died yesterday while attempting to explore the wreck of a German submarine off of Point Judith.

The New Jersey man was diving with three friends who were filming a documentary on the sunken U-853 that sits 126-feet below the surface. About 12 minutes into the dive, the group had descended to 115 feet when the man signaled to his friends that he was returning to the surface, said Coast Guard Petty Officer Bryan Davidson.

The other divers assumed he had forgotten something.

The man, whose name is being withheld pending notification of family, surfaced unconscious and with no vital signs. The crew of the chartered boat began CPR and contacted the Coast Guard at 1:10 p.m.

A Coast Guard boat joined the rescue effort and brought the man ashore at 2:18 p.m. to the Coast Guard's boathouse in Galilee where they were met by the Narragansett Police and Fire Departments. The diver never gained consciousness, Davidson said. His body was taken to the state medical examiner's office.

All of the divers were experienced, Davidson said. A dive master with the Narragansett Fire Department inspected the man's equipment and did not find any obvious defects.

The Coast Guard is investigating the death.

They were out there also filming a documentary. That really hits home.

I just joined this site and this was the first thread that i happend to read. I have dove the 853 many times and this is very sad to hear.

I understand he had some healt related concerns they may have come upon him during the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom