Diver Deported in Canada, Beware

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had that happened in the eastern provinces of Canada I bet he would have gotten into your car with you and told you to step on it :rofl3:. Kidding of course.

Speaking of going over my head, I have a cap that says "DUI Test Diver" on it.

Should've seen the look I got from a state trooper who pulled me over one day while wearing it.

I had to explain that DUI stood for Diving Unlimited International, and that they make scuba diving gear ... and that the last word was diver, and not driver.

He was not amused ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I wouldn't want to dive with someone who doesn't appreciate, or who willfully neglects to appreciate, the difference between a little child and an adult.

There is a world of difference between what one does as a young child when they are in grade school and what one does as an adult. If one gets into a fight as an adult, that would go towards a propensity for violence. Whether it occurred when they were 20 or 40 makes little difference to me.

Would you want your mother or sister or daughter to dive with a known substance abuser – even if it has been several years since they got caught? Most folks that get DUI’s don’t get caught the first time they drink and drive. They get away with it and do so again and again.

One of my relatives was hit by a drunk driver and I have no tolerance for it. I don’t think anyone in civilized society should view it as a mere mistake or silly error. Nobody puts a gun to someone’s head and forces them to drink and subsequently drive.

I dive, drive, and fly responsibly. I never dive, drive, or fly when there is any chance that I am under the influence.

Moreover, to those folks who suggested that I have something against DUI drysuits: I have never so much as looked at one. I have nothing to say about them because not only have I never worn one, but I’ve never even seen another diver wearing one. Alternatively, if I did see another diver in one, I never noticed.

Your attitude smacks of someone who is convinced that people cannot change or redeem themselves.

I did not know how to dive when I was 20... I have since learned
Some people DO STUPID THINGS and actually LEARN from their mistakes. I would rather dive with someone who has made a few mistakes but now chooses not to make those mistakes again than with a tee-totaler who has never faced adversity. In my experience people know themselves better once they have hit a brick wall and decide that that direction is not for them

My life has been touched by asinine narcissistic idiots as well, but that makes me have a dislike and distrust for people who CURRENTLY engage in the pisspoor behaviours, not people who have realized the error of their ways and go to great lengths not to make that mistake again. If they currently make the bad decisions and just don't get caught, then no, I will not choose to dive with them.

I don't mean to be a jerk but I'd rather not dive with someone who has ever had a DUI.

did you ever get into a playground fight in school?? if so i don't want to dive with you... You probably not have changed or learned your lesson either, and you might start a fight on the boat based on your history.

I wouldn't want to dive with someone who doesn't appreciate, or who willfully neglects to appreciate, the difference between a little child and an adult.

There is a world of difference between what one does as a young child when they are in grade school and what one does as an adult. If one gets into a fight as an adult, that would go towards a propensity for violence. Whether it occurred when they were 20 or 40 makes little difference to me.

Would you want your mother or sister or daughter to dive with a known substance abuser – even if it has been several years since they got caught? Most folks that get DUI’s don’t get caught the first time they drink and drive. They get away with it and do so again and again.

One of my relatives was hit by a drunk driver and I have no tolerance for it. I don’t think anyone in civilized society should view it as a mere mistake or silly error. Nobody puts a gun to someone’s head and forces them to drink and subsequently drive.

I dive, drive, and fly responsibly. I never dive, drive, or fly when there is any chance that I am under the influence.

Moreover, to those folks who suggested that I have something against DUI drysuits: I have never so much as looked at one. I have nothing to say about them because not only have I never worn one, but I’ve never even seen another diver wearing one. Alternatively, if I did see another diver in one, I never noticed.

Your attitude smacks of someone who is convinced that people cannot change or redeem themselves.

I did not know how to dive when I was 20... I have since learned
Some people DO STUPID THINGS and actually LEARN from their mistakes. I would rather dive with someone who has made a few mistakes but now chooses not to make those mistakes again than with a tee-totaler who has never faced adversity. In my experience people know themselves better once they have hit a brick wall and decide that that direction is not for them

My life has been touched by asinine narcissistic idiots as well, but that makes me have a dislike and distrust for people who CURRENTLY engage in the pisspoor behaviours, not people who have realized the error of their ways and go to great lengths not to make that mistake again. If they currently make the bad decisions and just don't get caught, then no, I will not choose to dive with them.

Actually my attitude smacks of one who just read a post analogizing getting into a childhood fight while on a school playground to getting a DUI.

I am not convinced that people can't change or redeem themselves. I am convinced, however, that I don't want to risk my safety on betting whether they can. I think we can all agree that all of those folks who got a 2nd DUI had a 1st DUI somewhere in their past. While some people do learn from their mistakes, others do not. Hence the term repeat offender.

I could care less whether one is a teetotaler. I don’t practice complete abstinence from alcohol. But I am rightfully cautious when I drink that I do not engage in any activity that is likely to harm another person. You suggest that people learn when they hit a brick wall. The problem is that sometimes that brick wall is another person – a person with a family. How many brick walls - or people - must be hit before we are supposed to be cautious? I'd say one DUI is enough.

My personal philosophy is that folks are welcome to harm themselves as much as they please. This is America; we generally have the freedom to be foolish if we so choose. If you want to drink knowing that doing so may cause you problems, go for it. But when it starts to hurt other people or place them at risk, I cannot condone any such behavior.

People are free to dive with anyone they choose. You are welcome to dive with those you please; I will do the same.

We must agree to disagree, because it is likely impossible to change one’s mind who analogizes getting into a childhood fight while on a school playground to getting a DUI.

Personally, I'm more interested in a diver's training, experience and diving discipline than I am a past criminal record, or their individual lifestyle. I'm there to dive and get home to my family safely. If s/he's competent, lets get wet. If they don't have the skill-sets to meet the dive plan, that's something entirely different.

I met up with a group in Rockport ONT some years ago and we crossed to the US side to dive two days. The group leader made a big deal about bringing passports, then forgot hers and got left at the dock.* She did some shore dives with others she met.

Small diving world, we where there that day, and we where the ones she did the shore dives with. Then after carting her all over diving she would not invite us to the cook out. :shakehead:

Speaking of going over my head, I have a cap that says "DUI Test Diver" on it.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have one of those hats as well, and you do get some strange looks and questions when you wear it. I have not, thankfully, been pulled over while wearing it. Might add that to the list of "what not to wear when crossing a border." :wink:

Don, I always thought that you walked a bit on the wild side; now the truth comes out... :)

I only had one time that I was refused entry into the U.S. (Buffalo, N.Y.). A Border Agent made a big deal about my military training and the danger that I apparently presented to the security of the U.S. Although I was trained in explosives and some elements of special operations (some of these training courses were taken in the U.S.), I couldn't see why they would consider me a threat (no criminal record, etc.). Does the U.S. monitor members of their military that receive certain types of training and enter them onto a computer database? I never did understand how they even knew...

This has left me wondering about the "how they even knew issue," kind of a big brother watching kind of issue. I am wondering if every country has access to all these records.

On the other hand I must add, kudos to all the border guards, military personal, and law enforcement agencies on both sides of the border that are working hard to protect us.

Personally, I'm more interested in a diver's training, experience and diving discipline than I am a past criminal record, or their individual lifestyle. I'm there to dive and get home to my family safely. If s/he's competent, lets get wet. If they don't have the skill-sets to meet the dive plan, that's something entirely different.
Oh, I understand B Lo's feelings. My poor choices and behaviors were not deemed more than that and my probation officer never required me to attend any classes or AA meetings, but I end up getting involved in those for other reasons - a guest at open meetings, even prison meetings. There are people who make poor choices and just might do it again, and there are drunks who will do it again and again. I've seen 6 divers leave by ambulance over the years and alcohol was involved in half of them.
Small diving world, we where there that day, and we where the ones she did the shore dives with. Then after carting her all over diving she would not invite us to the cook out. :shakehead:
Haha a cute, talkative blond? Yeah, not into payback - just use and thanks! Of the 6 I've seen injured, 5 were on that group's trips, including all of the alcohol related. She used to have a can't-stop problem but I heard it's not as bad now. I quit them finally.
I have one of those hats as well, and you do get some strange looks and questions when you wear it. I have not, thankfully, been pulled over while wearing it. Might add that to the list of "what not to wear when crossing a border." :wink:
I have one or two, but people usually expect the worst from me anyway..

most countries do have access to that type of information -
once a 'criminal' record is established in any country -
the information becomes accessible by any law enforcement agency
such as Homeland Security in the US , or the RCMP in Canada.
if you take the proper measures to have your record 'cleared' . the information then becomes inacessible to law enforcement agencies - and you can simply (legally) state that you do not have a criminal record.
UNLESS of course said law enforcement agencies had already been made aware of it - and maintain their own records - as does Homeland Security and the FBI in the USA.

would you want to dive with anyone that felt it was his or her place to judge others by their past behaviour (good or bad ) as adolescents ? i dont even want to wonder
what type of dive partner that would make !

Some people are pretty small minded, or morons. I'll let it up to you to figure out whom I'm speaking of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom