Diver dies in 40 Fathom Grotto - Feb 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
"BY AUSTIN L. MILLER
Star-Banner
(UPDATED 4:30 p.m.--2/1/08) BLUE SINK – Rebecca Harden, 54, from Hickson, Tenn., died today in what appears to be a scuba diving accident, according to Sheriff’s Office officials.

Harden was with a group scuba diving at 40 Fathom Grotto at 19487 N.W. 115th Ave. As the group was coming to the surface, they would stop at different levels. At one of the stages, according to officials, the instructor noticed that Harden was not with the group. He said he saw bubbles and descended to where she was, then brought her to the surface.

Following a call to 911, Marion County Fire Rescue responded to the scene. Harden was transported to Munroe Regional Medical Center. Rescuers performed CPR on her from the time they arrived on scene to the hospital, officials said.

Sheriff’s detectives said Harden was pronounced dead at 2:40 p.m. The cause of death is unclear and the investigation is continuing."

That is very sad to hear.

This is indeed very sad. I was a certified guide at 40 Fathom and did some of my technical trainig there. Hopefully better details will be forthcoming (looks like this comes from the popular media, not too dive saavy). The fact that the instructor saw "bubbles" and retrieved the student is interesting; I wonder if the student (assuming it was a student) was still breathing or if the bubbles were coming from reg. or tank?

Very sad news. My condolences to friends and family.

Sorry to hear.

I have one question though, where was her buddy?

Very sad. Going there for tec classes in march. Any more details?

Sad. Any additional details on what may have happened ?

This should be a reminder to all of us we're involved in a dangerous sport which alot of time we forget about it to everyone dove safe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom