Diver dies searching sunken South Korean ferry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wah

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I didn't see this posted, but its in the news. Its a shame that another life is lost because of this mess.

South Korean diver dies in ferry search operation | Reuters

(Reuters) - A diver lost consciousness and died on Tuesday during the search operation for victims still missing after last month's South Korean ferry disaster.

The diver had lost radio contact five minutes after diving to fix guideline ropes on the fifth deck of the sunken ferry, according to Ko Myung-seok, spokesman for the government's emergency task force.
He was unable to breathe by himself when he was brought to the surface, and his death was later confirmed at a hospital.
The dead man had been working for Undine Marine Industries, the company brought in to lead search efforts on the Sewol ferry, which capsized and sank about 20 km (12 miles) off the southwest coast of South Korea on April 16 with 476 passengers and crew on board.

EDIT: my apologies... the diver died during a dive related to the searches... he wasn't actually searching for bodies at the time.

Another report - from the BBC, it seems that there have been a few cases of DCI that have required chamber treatments as well.

BBC News - Civilian diver dies in South Korea ferry search

Always a shame and a sad day to hear about a death, particularly of someone diving to help/recover others, but the recovery conditions here have got to be appalling and there seems there may be some diving practices going on that are not be driven by good safety standards, but a desire to do a quick job due to the pressure they are under from the families and media.

Phil.

Seems like a tough recovery dive 30-40 meters deep , strong currents, bad vis inside the ferry and floating debris all over. Tragic to be looking for bodies of youngsters in this wreckage.

I love diving, but performing body recoveries is not on my list. This entire incident is just beyound believe.

sad news......keep us informed.

Horrible in so many ways!!!

I am living in South Korea now. I can tell you the toll on the divers is unbelievably bad. There have been two divers die and fourteen hospitalized with DCS. Six are very serious and are currently experiencing various levels of paralysis.

I don't really know what the issue is but I can say that I am sure the conditions are playing a role. However, I also am quiet sure that there are a number of questionable practices going on and standards are not being observed.

Very sad.

Why would certified divers cave under pressure and not follow safe practices?

one has to wonder if they are certified ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom