Diver Down by Michael Ange: must read

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bada3003

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm a recent OW & AOW with 30+ dives, many in quarries, one in Lake Michigan, and three in ocean open water (Acapulco, Crete, Oahu). Hence not a complete newbie, but a newbie nonetheless.

I recently had a chance to read Diver Down by M. Ange, and in my opinion, it's a must-read for any OW diver. For that matter, any diver who hasn't read it yet. I've been checking the accidents/incidents forum with interest for a couple of months. At first I was surprised by the number of fatalities reported, granted world-wide, but higher than I would have anticipated. Ange's book provides informative case studies, many ending in fatalities, vividly and well-written but respectfully given the surrounding tragedies.

During my PADI OW and AOW training (I learned a lot and enjoyed them), I don't recall any mention of recommended reading although it's possible I missed them (esp. in the online OW component). For what it's worth, it's this newbie's opinion that Diver Down should be pointed out as a must-read during/after training. I have bought a couple of other related scuba diving books, but this one stands out.

Our PADI rescue instructor recommended it and we bought and read it. I had already been following the accidents and incidents forum for a few years.

I have read it, too, and I think it is a very informative and interesting book. The fact that it is available in Kindle format on Amazon is definitely a plus.

I have read the book and think it was thought provoking but almost or all instances in the book were about divers who made dumb mistakes or bad choices. it has been a while since I read the book but i do not recall any of the incidents mentioned related to thing that were out of their control or someone elses mistakes. I am guessing that was the purpose of the book. Most divers, not involved in cardiac issues, die or have serious accidents because they did something beyound their abilities or did something stupid.

My incidental knowledge of the local diving accidents/incidents is that a large number are cardiac related in one form or another.

3 books i would recommend a diver read would be Diver Down, and both of the Scuba Snobs books -- they are all good reads

Back
Top Bottom