Diver drowns, kelp seen as culprit...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeguerrero

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey All,

This Saturday my dive buddy and I went up to Sonoma county to Abalone dive. We made it to Still Water cove and we were about to enter the water when one of the Abalone divers made a suggestion.

He said, "if I were you, I'd remove both those knives from your legs, you won't need them", we listened and placed both knives in my dive buddy float.

We made it to a section of the cove that had an opening of clear water, but man was this area full of heavy bulky kelp, kelp I've never seen in Monterey.

As we were looking for Abalone, we came across two other experienced ab divers that guided us more. They had us place the lanyards of our ab tools only on our hands and not on our wrists.

There is an inherit risk of trapping yourself with your tool while the lanyard clasps on your wrist while in a panic mode.

After listening, I dove down to 15 feet and spotted my Ab and re-surfaced and went right back down and got my ab. I was so excited.

My buddy kept trying but he had a hard time with his breath holds and the deeper water, he did manage to pull out a smaller one from the crevice but within the guidelines of size.

After vomiting 4 times on the float, man it was horrible watching all the kelp move up and down and that float didn't help, I felt better and dove for my second ab.

I was beat and couldn't dive any more and I told him we are at risk if we stay, upon hearing my concern my dive buddy said lets go back.

After resting for about 30 minutes we wanted to go back in to catch our fill of abs when at the shore in about 4 feet of water we start to hear a high pitch scream every 8 seconds, "please someone help,,,".

The scream continues and continues and we look at each other and think this is it something wrong. Without a second to waste my dive buddy launches his float and heads out to the screaming voice.

As he approaches a women diver is yelling please get him out he's under here, where is he?, yells back my buddy. Right here and she points, he moves the kelp aside and there he floating like a scare crow with his hands touching the surface.

He tugs and tugs and cannot get him loose, he then reaches into the float and pulls out my dive knife and looses it in the panic and reaches back in and gets the other knife.

He doesn't have the energy to dive down to cut the kelp so another diver reaches the area and is given the knife and he cuts him lose.

They perform mouth to mouth at the spot with no signs and they float him back to the shore and CPR is done.

The guy is foaming at the mouth and is lifeless, while his partner is just crying and crying.

There was an EMT off duty on the shore and within 9 more minutes the Coast Guard showed up in a helicopter; but it was to late, he had been in the water for at least 10 minutes.

It was assumed that when he came up on that last run with less than reserve air, his left leg because he was wearing a knife got caught on some kelp and kept him just 2 feet from the surface.

He tried to pull out his knife that was on his left inner leg. When he was pulled to shore the knife was gone but the holster was still on his leg. It was sad to see that holster without his knife, he must of tried to free himself and was out of air.

His weight belt was also not on him so he might of ditched that, his mask was not on his face when my dive buddy tried to free him.

My dive buddy was very sad that he couldn't have done more but the coast guard said he did a great job for valor, diving to the sight and trying to assit. The coast guard said they most time take up to 3 days before they find a body in the kelp. So he brought the body back to shore and gave closure to the family.

No one else jumped in to assist until my buddy reached the sight and assisted. All I can say is I learned so much from my first free dive.

I will dive again but under stricter guidlines; my concern is all the new divers that will venture into areas that are new and have zero experience, please be careful and never push your limits.

I finally learned from diving abs how much I pushed my body to stay under water to get that extra ab, I will difinitely not listen to that voice again.

MG

Last edited:
Wow...I didn't think I would find anyone here who was at this very incident.

The kelp has been abnormally thick and overgrown compared to the past few years I've been on the North Coast. Usually, I don't dive within massive kelp growth and often stay along the edge or search in areas with just a few isolated kelp stalks. This year, I've been diving within it because of such a high bloom.

I was diving in the Mendocino Headlands last Saturday on 08/02 and as I was shooting for the surface, I happened to get my right leg wrapped around a few strands of kelp that were just slightly thicker than spaghetti. I was able to break the strands by simply pulling apart and was lucky enough to get away. I was probably 8-ft under the surface and it was the first time I've been entangled. I don't think I spent much time thinking, I only remember a tug on my leg, looking down, reaching over and trying to break the strands apart.

Good to hear someone out there giving you guys pointers and helping you out. And nice to see you learned not to push beyond limits.

Sorry to hear of the tragedy but in the end, you did what you could do. Also, thanks for quickly recognizing trouble and making the effort to try to get someone out of it.

Caution working in the kelp, it's just bad this year.

Last edited:
Mike.

Reassure your buddy he did all he could do!!!!!

As an EMT I can tell you that a lot of the time you can only do so much, as I am sure you know, But the guilt (Post Traumatic stress) Can be really hard to deal with!

Check on your buddy Pal!!

Don't know why it posted twice ... Sorry

Mod's can you remove one Please??????
Done--Ber

Last edited by a moderator:
I too have been hung on kelp. I have been ab diving the north coast for 22 years and got hung last year. I was 4 feet from the surface when I felt the yank on my left leg. I remember realizing I was about 4 ft. from the surface and dropped my ab and snapped the spaghetti kelp off of my DIVE KNIFE... and shot out of the water like a polaris missile. That was the scariest moment of my life. I no longer push the limits of my lungs and I try and surface with as little discomfort in my chest as possible.

My heart goes out to the family of that diver who passed. Great job to the divers who got him out and assisted in trying to revive him.

Your buddy did GREAT!

A friend of mine is a fireman, who has had to perform CPR many, many times in the line of duty. He did it once while off duty, right after seeing a relative pass out. That's the only time it was successful.

On TV, the victim almost always lives. In reality, it's reality.

Being willing and able and actually jumping in to help someone is marvelous. As you said, no one else did that. Your buddy did.

That was a great thing your buddy did Mike! I really hope he knows he did all he could. My heart goes out to the family of the diver also.

will dive again but under stricter guidlines; my concern is all the new divers that will venture into areas that are new and have zero experience, please be careful and never push your limits.

I finally learned from diving abs how much I pushed my body to stay under water to get that extra ab, I will difinitely not listen to that voice again.
MG

Is this all breath-hold diving? (No SCUBA?)

Terry

Is this all breath-hold diving? (No SCUBA?)

Terry

Terry - Ab diving in California is all free-diving. It's illegal to take abs while on scuba.

Wow Mike. I am sorry to hear that you and your buddy witnessed this, but am glad that your buddy was there to offer aid. Condolences to the family, and to your friend - it must be hard to emotionally handle that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom