Diver drowns, kelp seen as culprit...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone know how to start a thread on perhaps retrieving the lost knife. It appears Chuck mentioned that a search thread could be started.

You just start a thread, like any other. Just make the subject something like "Lost Knife, Stillwater Cove". Some have been successful, some have not. I've personally returned
some stuff, and been involved with getting the finder and the loser connected (once
for a BC, tank, and reg).

Best is to have your name, phone number, and e-mail on everything.

Would spare air be possible to be placed in your float? Would you legally be able to have that in there? We kept our dive knifes with us, just not on us, they were placed in the float.

I am sure that if any method of being able to breathe underwater is in your possession while you are diving for abs, the game wardens will be quick to cite you and maybe even go as far as taking your gear away like cmburch has just mentioned.

The game wardens use high powered optics to observe from cliffs, sometimes they'll hide among trees and they will not tolerate any violation they can cite you for, especially with abalone regulations. I've seen one cite a pair of divers for high-grading at Russian Gulch and he was able to describe every single action the divers made.

Your best bet is to just practice, learn to relax and just dive smart.

Your best bet is to just practice, learn to relax and just dive smart.

And I'll say again: get some training, or find an experienced mentor. There are excellent classes devoted to free diving technique out there. Not only can you increase your breath-hold times immensely, but -- more importantly -- you'll improve your buddy and rescue techniques.

Wow,,,I've been ab diving since '74 and have never had the experiance you had on your first time....we did put a diver out one time while free diving for ab's but it was a scuba diver and alcohol was involved..

The kelp is thicker up north..I always carry a knife and have never had a problem, more than the kelp I worry about fishing line...one time while diving we had a commercial fisherman that caught live fish for the asian resturants come in on a kayak while we were down and surround us with hanging lines and hooks...

I did have one experiance of getting hung on the kelp while surfacing...I was less than 4' from the surface when I suddenly came to a screeching halt...I could almost touch the fin of my partner on the surface..the kelp had firmly wrapped itself around my fin strap and was holding me under...I was getting ready to remove the fin when it broke...

Also,,you can quickly cut kelp by biting it with your teeth,,,try this in monterey sometime...but if your caught in fishing line you'll have to cut it...

You and your friend did a great job...it was probally too late by the time you even arrive at the diver underwater...but you didn't give up and did everything within your power to help...God Bless you both...don't torture youselves with "what if's"...

The guys have put forward plenty of good comments if I may let me add my pitch:

Fitness: Make sure you are fit and ready for the ocean. When you are in shape you are more prepared to handle the stresses of diving. Just hang around the dive shop when Ab season comes around and you'll hear "Do you have this in XXXL?" There's are a lot of guys who don't get in the water except for AB season and are no where near in shape to handle the rough North Coast conditions. Am I saying that if you aren't in shape you shouldn't Ab dive (or dive in particular?) No just realize your limitations and do not try to push things and thinking you are still a strong fit 20 something year old.

And I'll say again: get some training, or find an experienced mentor. There are excellent classes devoted to free diving technique out there. Not only can you increase your breath-hold times immensely, but -- more importantly -- you'll improve your buddy and rescue techniques.

Hey, are there any classes you know of that you can recommend?

Hey, are there any classes you know of that you can recommend?

For local ab diving, I would just call north coast dive shops and see if any instructors are leading trips. I got into ab diving very informally by hooking up with an instructor from Marin Dive Center; we spent a fun day at Ft. Ross first going over technique and buddy skills, and then we went out and got our limit. Also, check out the "seafood foraging" link here ( Adventure Sports Unlimited ) for info on guided ab trips.

For pure free diving instruction, these guys are AMAZING:

Performance Freediving

I took the intermediate free diving course a couple of months ago, and it absolutely blew my mind. I *cannot* say enough good things about the class. If you want world class free diving instruction, with a strong emphasis on physiology, safety, and buddy skills, this is it.

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom