Diver drowns on the Jodrey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ayisha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Watertown Daily Times | Diver apparently drowns while exploring shipwreck

Diver apparently drowns while exploring shipwreck
SATURDAY, JUNE 28, 2008
ALEXANDRIA BAY — The Jefferson County Sheriff's Department is investigating the apparent drowning Friday afternoon of a diver near the U.S. Coast Guard station on Wellesley Island.

The victim was unresponsive when pulled by Coast Guard personnel from the St. Lawrence River about 3 p.m., and was taken to River Hospital aboard a Coast Guard craft.

Sheriff John P. Burns said the victim was apparently exploring the Roy A. Jodrey, a ship hauling iron ore that sank Nov. 21, 1974. The 640-foot ship, which split in half, rests at a depth of at least 160 feet.

The shipwreck has been a suspected source of occasional oil sheens on the river.

The craft sank in about five hours, within view of the Coast Guard station. All 29 crew members were rescued.

We were diving in Brockville, Ontario this weekend. The victim was a rebreather diver from New Jersey who died while completing his dive on the Jodrey, a technical wreck, on Friday. I didn't ask what type of rebreather. I was told that the buddy saw the victim looking stressed and he switched to the bailout bottle. He had half an hour of deco left. He then made a beeline for the surface and was seen making a polaris 2 feet out of the water.

I was told that he was probably dead by the time he hit the surface and it seemed to be a heart attack. I asked if it could have been the wrong gas/something to do with the rebreather since he switched to the bailout, but I was told no, it was a heart attack.

My condolences to his family and all those around him.

The Diver's name was Lawrence Crom.

http://obits.nj.com/starledger/Death...onId=112540154

Lawrence W. Crom
CROM Lawrence W. Crom Verizon group manager, Army veteran, SCUBA diver, 45 Lawrence W. Crom, 45, of Millington died on June 27, 2008, while SCUBA diving in the St. Lawrence Seaway. A family gathering to receive friends will be held on Wednesday, July 2, 2008, from 9 to 11 a.m. at the Gallaway and Crane Funeral Home, 101 S. Finley Ave., Basking Ridge, N.J. 07920. Larry was born in Ridgecrest, Calif., and was raised in Bishop, Calif. He was a graduate of Bishop Union High School, Class of 1981. He traveled across the world and lived in many locations, including Washington, Germany, Romania and New Jersey. He proudly served his country in the United States Army. After his discharge, Larry worked in the telecommunications industry and was employed as a group manager for Verizon. Larry graduated from the University of Phoenix in 2006. Larry loved being in and on the water. During his high school days, Larry set records while on the swim team. He enjoyed all kinds of boats, especially sailing, but his true passion was SCUBA diving. He was a member of Divers Alert Network (DAN) and a former member of the Lions Club in Bishop, Calif. Larry was a devoted husband, father and friend. He is survived by his wife of nine years, Kathryn E. Crom of Millington; son, Talmage D. Crom of Millington; parents, Virginia and Frank Crom of Bishop, Calif.; and sister, Dana Crom of Bishop, Calif., and he will be missed by many other family members and friends. Those planning an expression of sympathy may make a donation in Larrys name to the Long Hill Club Scout Pack 56, 5 Dogwood Terrace West, Millington, N.J. 07946.

What kind of person posts a statement like he "made a polaris 2 feet out of the water"? If the point of this board is to discuss accedents and learn from them, maybe you should try doing that in a professional manner. How about using the term he had a run-away accent? If you are just looking to gossip, try people magazine.

This person has a family who knows how to read. Have some respect.

What kind of person posts a statement like he "made a polaris 2 feet out of the water"? If the point of this board is to discuss accedents and learn from them, maybe you should try doing that in a professional manner. How about using the term he had a run-away accent? If you are just looking to gossip, try people magazine.

This person has a family who knows how to read. Have some respect.

What I stated was what was told to me by an eyewitness from ABOVE the water. He saw the victim break the surface up to his waist. I actually minimized the description by stating only 2 feet to account for possible exaggeration.

The events leading up to the switch to the bailout bottle were as relayed to him after the dive. I was never told that the victim had a runaway ascent. The witness said that he "made a beeline for the surface", which is why I wrote that. I simply paraphrased. It is apparently all on the police report.

I believe the point of this board is to discuss accidents as openly as possible. Without all of the information, it is very difficult to learn from what happened and how to avoid it.

Again, my condolences to his family and friends.

Ayisha,

You don't need to defend yourself, excellent description. Obviously something happened at depth such that an experienced diver, as the gentleman was, was unable to control due to some physical problem and his surfacing was well beyond someone trying to control a runaway ascent.

Condolances to his family and friends

This is second hand information - According to a long time dive shop owner located in Alexandria Bay, the diver was alive after they pulled him from the water. He "embolized" and needed a recompression chamber. The nearest chamber is in Buffalo, NY which is hours away.

This I know is actual fact - This gentleman owns and operates a shop and actually has his own recompression chamber right there on site, literally 5-10 minutes away.... His insurance company forced him to make it non-functional so that he could never use it, for liability reasons.

Whatever happened, my sincerest regrets go out to the family. He will be missed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom