Diver drowns on the Jodrey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am so sorry for your loss of your father. I hope you can find some solace in sharing this diving community of caring and kind people, who really do want to encourage and help you in any way they can.

First off, what the hell is the need to talk about this if you don't have your facts straight.
First, reading and responding to this thread took guts. I'm sorry for your loss, but your dad can be proud of a gutsy kid.

Quite often, all we have are second and third hand reports to go on. The newspapers rarely give us anything substantial and most autopsies simply surmise that the victim drowned. You should know that this is not a rubberneck event. People speculate in an attempt to avoid having the same fate. The comments aren't so much about the passing of your father, but improving our collective survival. As a rebreather diver, I read each and every rebreather accident, if only to avoid being the subject of a thread just like this. We actually would prefer that the family never found our discussion, because we don't want to have to hold back.

In that regard, if you have pertinent information about what really happened, we would appreciate you sharing it. We understand if it's still too close to home. I have a hard time talking about my son's death... it's personal for you.

First off, what the hell is the need to talk about this if you don't have your facts straight. How my father died doesn't need open discussion if you don't understand what happened yourself. If you wanted to know read the god damn paper don't just speculate. Also a 2 foot Polaris. I hope you know that, that is idiotic. Yes it is possible, though likely no. Just get your damn facts straight.

I am sorry that you are offended by my post from nearly 9 years ago, but I stand behind what I wrote. It and the other later post by me were exactly what the very experienced, long-time Captain of your father's boat told me, who witnessed the above water events. He said "polaris" and "came out to here" and put his hand against his waist. He said he had "never seen anyone clear the water like that" in all his years. You can put a quote around all of the details that I posted. They certainly didn't come from me. I was on the boat the two days after your Dad's accident. The Captain also said that everything he told me was in the police report, as I had stated in the post back then.

It probably wasn't possible for him to know the cause of death by the end of that weekend, which he said was a heart attack, but I was later told that it was an embolism, which would be possible from what he witnessed above the water and from what your father's buddy apparently said.

Whether you believe it or not, I am sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
@Talmcrom, Please don’t focus on one poster, but read on and find the greater community of divers that your father was a part of. We are all learning what we can, so that we can enjoy the amazing underwater world, and there are many instructors and knowledgeable divers that are willing to go on, learning and practicing, despite risks, and share this joy with others.

If it’s of any consolation whatsoever I personally belief some RB incidents are from IPE or NPPE. There’s no way of knowing unless you survive, which I did.

Had I not an amazing instructor I’m pretty sure I would have drowned, embolized or had a serious DCS hit and not lived to tell the tale. Of course there are other ways to go on CCR I just think IPE and NPPE are overlooked and can be very damaging to a family where the real reason is masked by phrases like ‘Polaris’ or ‘rapid ascent’ or ‘panic’. If you’re ****** down there you’re ****** and a rapid ascent may be your only option, crap tho it is.

I’m not a huge fan of CCR. And I suspect many deaths from them are ill diagnosed. Perhaps not helpful to you just my opinion.

RIP your father. At least he went doing what he loved. I hope that is of some consolation.

Best,
John

Back
Top Bottom