Diver etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gabriel Torres

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

If there is already a thread about this, please forgive me and please let me know the link.

I'd like to know from the more seasoned divers which are the most common etiquette mistakes newbies make, i.e. what I shouldn't be doing while on the boat and/or diving. Anecdotes to illustrate the subject are highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Gabriel.

No bananas on the boat, don't leave your gear laying everywhere...keep it tidy. Last but certainly not least, don't flush the marine head while folks are under the boat doing safety stops/deco...particularly if it's ME under the boat doing deco.

I thought bananas was just a fishing thing!
Also be friendly and don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it - it's all part of being a buddy.

I was reprimanded by my buddy for not extending my pinkey finger whilst tightening my reg onto the tank, and he then gave a proper demonstration.

My buddy thought it hilarious, I thought it funny, other divers kept their distance, and the DM just shook his head and muttered "you two".

To the OP, keep you gear together in your space which will be small, try not to get in other divers way, and most of all, don't be a dick. Boats are small and being considerate will help and may make you some new friends.

Have Fun

Bob

No bananas? I thought they were the perfect dive boat food. Taste the same coming up or going down...:banana::banana::banana::vomit:

Do not, under any circumstances, wear or allow anyone else to wear, a banana hammock, AKA Budgie Smugger.

Don't pee over the side of the boat.

Keep your gear organized.

Shut up during the dive briefing. I don't care if you've dove this site 4000 times. Shut up.

Don't be a dick.

Did I mention no banana hammocks?

I thought bananas was just a fishing thing!.

Nope, it's a nautical thing. Plenty of bad things happen on a dive boat when the bananas show up....engine trouble, popped anchor lines etc.

No bananas? I thought they were the perfect dive boat food. Taste the same coming up or going down...:banana::banana::banana::vomit:

Just eat them before you get on the boat... problem solved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom