Work at dive shop in exchange for accommodation and master diver course - Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haven't heard from the OP whether it's MSD or DM yet. Big difference as far as what there is to discuss. Of course we now can debate the old MSD thing once more anyway.

Here we go again with the crap miserable attitudes …“worthless plastic card”…blah, blah, blah. Jesus, man, if you don’t have anything constructive to add to the OP’s questions perhaps you could just not.

Is @rjack321 wrong?? Yes @Angelo Farina has put it in a more elegant way but the reality is what use, value, or how does a Master Diver card make you a better diver?

So to make this a "constructive" conversation explain what value a master diver certification gives as I do not understand what value it offers and would love for someone to enlighten me.

I'm sure the OP may be referring to Dive Master, I'd give him the benefit of doubt that it's just his form of English.

My MSD are: Deep, Drift, Multi-level, Nitrox and Search & Recovery + Rescue. I have never used the knowledge gained on S & R and rescue at all but the other have been very useful. eg. I can dive to 40m without the need to show my tec card.

My MSD are: Deep, Drift, Multi-level, Nitrox and Search & Recovery + Rescue. I have never used the knowledge gained on S & R and rescue at all but the other have been very useful. eg. I can dive to 40m without the need to show my tec card.

Or you can just take the deep diver specialty and be done with it.

Personally I don't see the point in diving to 40m on a single tank. If you want to dive to 40m just take your ANDP. Now this is a course worth its weight in gold I can not stress more about how much value this course offers to all divers. Very good course that will make you a much better diver and extend your knowledge significantly. I actually don't know why more people don't take this course or why it is not pushed more. The knowledge and skill taught in this course are soooooo much better than anything you would learn and a Master diver or even DMT. Personally I think this should be apart of DMT curriculum, not for the purpose of diving to 45m (heck you don't even need to go past 30m) but more for the skill and theory. And even better would be to add in Extended Rage (or Trimix). The skills and theory in these has so much value. Like I said not for the depth but for the skill and theory and making you a just a well rounded diver. The depth is just a bonus.

If you want to dive to 40m just take your ANDP. Now this is a course worth its weight in gold I can not stress more about how much value this course offers to all divers. Very good course that will make you a much better diver and extend your knowledge significantly. I actually don't know why more people don't take this course or why it is not pushed more.
Perhaps because, at least here in Europe, the content of this course are already included in standard recreational diving certifications released by CMAS and BSAC...
I agree with you that these contents are of utmost importance for a "compete" scuba diver, and people who did not learn about deco procedures in their basic curriculum should increase their knowledge with such a course.

Perhaps because, at least here in Europe, the content of this course are already included in standard recreational diving certifications released by CMAS and BSAC...
I agree with you that these contents are of utmost importance for a "compete" scuba diver, and people who did not learn about deco procedures in their basic curriculum should increase their knowledge with such a course.

Completely agree CMAS curriculum and diver expectations are far more extensive then P@D! high fives all the way around lets see how much money we can get out of you.

Not anymore.
According to CMAS standards, you had to receive additional training during P/R 3 course to be allowed below 40 m and into deco.
Even so, not many training organisations did it, to the point where one of the instructors told me that is simply not true to be allowed into deco without separate cert. Which I did not get, so I have no proof of it.
Furthermore, I was appalled when I visited CMAS website. New certs are proliferating left, right and center. It seems CMAS is going PADI way.

[QUOTE="LivHalivyatan, post:
I’m currently looking mostly in Thailand, mainly in Ko Tao, but I’m open to all options! 🐳 (Looking for a fairly small island vibe)
I’m a very responsible worker with many years experience in cyber security global sales, customer relations and training.

If anyone knows of a dive shop you can recommend to do this in, please let me know! I’ll contact them right away 🤗

Thank you in advance to all who take the time to answer 🙏🏼
[/QUOTE]

It's unlikely you'll find anywhere in Thailand to do this as you would need a work visa. Simply pay for your course and then you won't have to worry

It's unlikely you'll find anywhere in Thailand to do this as you would need a work visa. Simply pay for your course and then you won't have to worry
There are some Thailand ops that do this (see link in my prior post in this thread). Not sure all of the ins and outs of Thailand immigration law, but I'm assuming they might justify it as folks in some other countries do -- just say that the practical (work) is part of the class, and not a paid position.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom