Work at dive shop in exchange for accommodation and master diver course - Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey Everyone ☀️

I’m new here but definitely not a new diver (10+) years.
I’m currently living in Taiwan, and I’m looking for a place around this area to do a month of a work exchange around January where I would work at a dive shop in exchange for accommodation and a master diver course.
I’m currently looking mostly in Thailand, mainly in Ko Tao, but I’m open to all options! 🐳 (Looking for a fairly small island vibe)
I’m a very responsible worker with many years experience in cyber security global sales, customer relations and training.

If anyone knows of a dive shop you can recommend to do this in, please let me know! I’ll contact them right away 🤗

Thank you in advance to all who take the time to answer 🙏🏼

What are zero 2 hero courses?
Zero to hero courses are training programs where someone goes from being not certified to being a DiveMaster or Instructor in a month or so.

Here's a post that has some ideas for dive ops that have training programs -- some with housing, etc. (don't let the title fool you, it's not just for teens):

Here we go again with the crap miserable attitudes …“worthless plastic card”…blah, blah, blah. Jesus, man, if you don’t have anything constructive to add to the OP’s questions perhaps you could just not.

Here we go again with the crap miserable attitudes …“worthless plastic card”…blah, blah, blah. Jesus, man, if you don’t have anything constructive to add to the OP’s questions perhaps you could just not.
Probably the concept was not expressed elegantly, but I was posting the same:
master diver is just a plastic card certifying you have got a number of specialty cards.
It does not add anything to the specialties you have already got. It is basically worthless.
So wasting one month of work for getting such card is a very questionable choice.
This raises a legit suspicion that the OP was meaning something different.
There are two possibilities:
1) the OP was meaning being trained and certified as DiveMaster, a low-level professional certification allowing him to start working as a diving guide or as an assistant instructor
2) the OP was really meaning Master Diver, but including all the required specialty cards, which can total to a significant cost.
Wathever the case, I see very difficult that a diving center or shop will accept the deal, particularly in countries where the cost of labour is low, so they can hire a helper for a few bucks per day.

Master diver is a useless card
Diver master is also of dubious value and not really worth spending a month of labor to get. Unless you don't value your hours

Hey Everyone ☀️

I’m new here but definitely not a new diver (10+) years.
I’m currently living in Taiwan, and I’m looking for a place around this area to do a month of a work exchange around January where I would work at a dive shop in exchange for accommodation and a master diver course.
I’m currently looking mostly in Thailand, mainly in Ko Tao, but I’m open to all options! 🐳 (Looking for a fairly small island vibe)
I’m a very responsible worker with many years experience in cyber security global sales, customer relations and training.

If anyone knows of a dive shop you can recommend to do this in, please let me know! I’ll contact them right away 🤗

Thank you in advance to all who take the time to answer 🙏🏼
There is a big difference between "Dive Master" and "Master Diver". Former is an recognized professional qualification while latter is for own appreciation.
Whether both qualifications is useful is not the point for discussion here.
How much do you think your expertise is actually useful to the operator?
What is your diving qualification?
PADI Master Diver requires Rescue Qualification + five speciality and that would cost well over US$1,000.00(B34,000.00).
Who would get this kind of pay in Thailand in a month?
Good luck to your search.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom