Diver Fatality off Ponce Inlet, Fl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any remaining air that the unresponsive diver has should only be used for bouyancy. If a gas problem is present the rescue diver would also be at risk by using it.

Any remaining air that the unresponsive diver has should only be used for bouyancy. If a gas problem is present the rescue diver would also be at risk by using it.

absolutely right, bad air could have been what put the victim out.

Insufficient and/or inaccurate informaion from the media, incomplete eye witness informaition. A quick bounce to 115 feet to save a colleague would be a no brainer for me given even borderline gas requirements. Under most circumstances, this would remain a no deco dive or would incur a short deco obligation. At worst, would require O2 administation which would probably be given up to the affected diver. I would expect the same from my buddies

Respectfullly,

Craig

Firstly I agree with all of the post directed at the immediate recovery of the victim, it is the right thing to do, or at least try.
And secondly I'm sure all of us would love to know the 3 survivors qualifications. But we don't and probability never will so here is a possible rescue plan. Please feel free to criticize or add to this plan, my only hope is for all of us to learn from this unfortunate loss of life.
So assuming they all had a little air left, say 300lbs each, I'd take my tank and one other as a travel bottle, then drop as fast as my ears could stand it. With the remaining air in the travel I'd orally inflate the victims BC, ditch his weights and start up on my tank. The other diver would be waiting at the surface (if Vis was good enough to see us coming) and would asst the rescue diver if needed.

I dive off of ponce all the time. I don't know about you guys. But if I had ANY gas at all, my friend would be coming up with me. I'll risk getting bent to save a life any day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom