Diver found dead off Hollywood beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got certified and Hollywood was one of my beach dives. It sinks in how dangerous this sport can be if not respected. His death teaches me a lesson and reminds me to be as careful as I can.

I wish the best to his family and may he rest in peace. Sincerely...

May this guy rest in peace....at least he died doing what he, and presumably most of us loved doing.
I really don't get this...

He loved having a heart attack underwater, subsequently drowning (if the coronary didn't take him out first)?

If I go that way, please don't anyone assume I wanted to.

My prayers go out to his family and friends..... I wish I could be so lucky to go out doing what I love and not by a drunk driver or cancer. Rest in peace dive buddy....

I just got certified and Hollywood was one of my beach dives.

Kaliber,

Can you give us any information about the dive spot? I noticed you said it was infact a beach dive location. I was trying to search for beach dive spots in Hollywood and only came up with another news story of snorklers run over by a boat on July 5, 2009.

Depth, distance from shore, basic information if you can remember. Just trying to get an idea about the dive location.

Just a reminder, this forum is for analyzing accidents and incidents when we know the facts. It's not for condolances or well wishes to the families of victims. There are other forums for that.

In this case, there are clearly a lot of facts we simply don't have.

Jeff

He loved having a heart attack underwater, subsequently drowning (if the coronary didn't take him out first)?

Has it been confirmed that it was a heart attack ? 30ish is young for a heart attack.

Its a figure of speech man. He could have gone out in a massive and gruesome highway accident where there were nothing left for his family to identify. The last thing he experienced was being underwater. I might be a new diver but I can think of worse surroundings to pass in.

Comments on the newspaper's site mention a medical condition. No description of the condition. The post was from someone claiming to have known him.

Kaliber,

Can you give us any information about the dive spot? I noticed you said it was infact a beach dive location. I was trying to search for beach dive spots in Hollywood and only came up with another news story of snorklers run over by a boat on July 5, 2009.

Depth, distance from shore, basic information if you can remember. Just trying to get an idea about the dive location.

Sure. Its just south of the Hollywood pier. Lifeguards are always running drills in the water about 200 yards off the beach. The bottom conditions are patch reef with a really nice artificial reef made of cinder blocks. They construct a "road" of sorts and are turned on their side so marine life can hide in the holes. Its a beautiful dive with 5-10 foot sloping faces at times. The average depth on this dive was 13 feet with a max of 22 feet.

Here is 2 videos of the area. The first is the artificial reef and the second is the surrounding rock reef (the beginning the dive actually). This is not to say his exact location but its a popular dive site in the area.

YouTube - Hollywood Outfall Trench by LanceVS Miami Beach Scuba

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddd-s8Ptslw&feature=related

Last edited:
Thank you for the details Kaliber35.

Given the site details, I don't think solo diving vs buddy diving would have been much of a factor. Had he had any type of medical emergency I don't beleive that a buddy 200 yards off shore would have had much of a chance to save his life. Rescue breaths is about all the buddy could have done during a tow back to shore. CPR is useless until you can get the victim to a solid surface.

Back
Top Bottom