Diver Incident at Dutch Springs Nov 6 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pete,

Thanks for posting, glad to hear he is doing well and kudos to his daughter.

Although the police may have above average knowledge of dive related incidents due to their proximity to Dutch, I am thinking it is unlikely they were able to make an accurate assessment of the cause of the incident so quickly.

Donna

Last edited by a moderator:
Pete,

Thanks for posting, glad to hear he is doing well and kudos to his daughter.

Although the police may have above average knowledge of dive related incidents due to their proximity to Dutch, I am thinking it is unlikely they were able to make an accurate assessment of the cause of the incident so quickly.

Donna

Ya, it usually takes some time to gather all the facts, and dive accidents are usually not the specialty of peace officers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unconscious man rescued from Dutch Springs - mcall.com

Unconscious Dutch Springs diver revived

5:36 a.m. EST, November 7, 2010

When William Bedford's 15-year-old daughter saw him floating unconscious, his feet sticking out of the water, she knew something had gone horribly wrong during their scuba dive Saturday at Dutch Springs in Lower Nazareth Township.

She called for help, police said, and other divers came to her aid, pulling her father from the water. Emergency dispatchers contacted police for a water rescue about 11:35 a.m., but they weren't needed.

Dutch Springs medics and emergency medical technicians from Bethlehem Township and Hecktown Ambulance Corps managed to revive the 51-year-old Media, Delaware County, man on his way to St. Luke's Hospital, said Colonial Regional police Sgt. John Harmon.

"He wasn't breathing at first," Harmon said.

Police aren't sure what caused Bedford to lose consciousness, but Harmon said one of the Dutch Springs instructors attributed the incident to malfunctioning scuba equipment. The hospital had no record of Bedford on Saturday.

— Scott Kraus

Since the diving industry does not have the luxury of a comprehensive accident reporting database (like this) it is up to the surviving divers or the families and friends of the deceased ones to publish the causes of accidents.

While accidents are traumatic or even tragic for the individuals involved, an analysis of the causes will help many others to avoid similar scenarios.

I hope that the rescued diver will come forward with a detailed account of the event.

Best wishes to him and his family for full physical and emotional recovery.

Last edited:
I can't understand why ANYONE would want to speculate on what actually happened. Yes we are all entitled to our opinion as to anything in life but when it comes to an issue that is pending an investigation, I think we all have been taught we say nothing until the investigation is complete. Gratitude and appreciation to those that assisted the diver, and a quick recovery to the victim and his family as they begin the healing process. This is one of those incidents where we have a happy ending, and one I'm sure we will all have a better understanding to what actually took place at the right time. Let's embrace on the outcome and hold off on the speculation for a bit.

I can't understand why ANYONE would want to speculate on what actually happened. Yes we are all entitled to our opinion as to anything in life but when it comes to an issue that is pending an investigation, I think we all have been taught we say nothing until the investigation is complete. Gratitude and appreciation to those that assisted the diver, and a quick recovery to the victim and his family as they begin the healing process. This is one of those incidents where we have a happy ending, and one I'm sure we will all have a better understanding to what actually took place at the right time. Let's embrace on the outcome and hold off on the speculation for a bit.

Perhaps you should go back and read the sticky on the thread rules? http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/52701-special-rules-please-read.html

The whole purpose of this forum, and these threads, is to generate thought of "what could go wrong" and to learn from it. Sometimes, the best we can learn is that "stuff happens". Other times, we learn that stupidity and/or panic kills.

If this thread is so hard on you, perhaps you should put the thread on ignore? (Thread Tools)

The thoughts and discussion of "What if's" generated in these threads has been enormously helpful to this new diver, and are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
It's rare that we see investigation complete info. We try to learn from the what-ifs.

I was there and Dutch Springs staff and emergency personal should be commended.I am not sure what happened but the diver was on a rebreather.I am glad to hear he is ok.Most of the time the scubber malfunctions and the diver loses consciousness.It happens alot .There is no sensor to detect co2 build up.I am not saying that is what happened just that it is the cause of many rebreather problems.Again I am glad he is ok .I know it was very upsetting to his daughter but she should be commended also.DIVE SAFE

I have always been impressed with the response of Dutch Staff to serious problems!!!

I highly doubt that. Most "rebreather related" problems are directly related to user error or maintenance problems. Those issues can affect anyone, whether OC or CCR.

Technically, that's correct. however the failure mode in an improperly maintained CCR can easily be a silent drift into unconsciousness and death, while failure on OC is completely obvious. Everybody can tell if they're breathing or not.

flots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom