Diver Incident at Dutch Springs Nov 6 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dove Dutch today 11/7/10 and this is the first i heard if this. There was no talk of it today at all. I hope that some definitive facts which are helpful are released when they are available.

Diver taken from Dutch Springs on 6 Nov did not have CPR performed on him. Once the diver had a mask placed on him he regained consciousness. This can be confirmed with the Hecktown Ambulance Service that responded. In addition, the diver suffered from hypoxia due to operator error. Nothing was wrong with the equipment. I know because I was the diver.

Glad to hear you are still with us to dive another day

Diver taken from Dutch Springs on 6 Nov did not have CPR performed on him. Once the diver had a mask placed on him he regained consciousness. This can be confirmed with the Hecktown Ambulance Service that responded. In addition, the diver suffered from hypoxia due to operator error. Nothing was wrong with the equipment. I know because I was the diver.

Thank you for the statement. Glad you're still around to make it!

Glad you made it. And kudos to your daughter for having good buddy skills and calling for help.

I guess one of the things that we always talk about when someone doesn't make it, is where was the buddy and would it have made a difference. Well it seems that having a good buddy makes a big difference when something goes wrong. Had she not been paying attention to you, it could have had a very different outcome.

Hope you get some rest. Big hugs to you and your dive buddy!

Glad you're with us, coldsoul - literally. Hope you and your daughter will join us more here.

I had the issue on Saturday at Dutch Springs. In essence what happened was all due to operator error. I did all of my checks and the equipment was operational. The problem was that I put the unit on manual and did not reset to my set point. I was standing in 4ft of water and was adjusting my daughters weights. I went under to pick up a weight and that was all she wrote. I passed out. Walking to the water and while adjusting her weights the loop became hypoxic or CO2 built up and I passed out. All the talk of CPR did not happen and can be confirmed with the Hecktown Ambulance Service. Once they put the mask on me I regained consciousness. I went to St. Lukes for observation and was released on Sunday.

I walked away with a scare only for my family and a good dose of humility for me. The heroine that kept essentially a fainting spell from becoming a death was my 15 year old daughter. Never underestimate your children or the wise investment in a first aid course for your kids. My daughter saved my life and kept her head while doing so. I am very proud of her and thankful. She kept her daddy alive. No dishwashing for her this week.

It is important to have a forum where we as divers can review accidents within the diving community. The inclusion of accurate information especially from those involved increases the value and special thanks to coldsoul for self identifying and pointing out the actual problem.

Buy her a dishwasher. :D

dishwasher_open_close_sm_wht.gif

Cooldsoul, I am extrememly happy to talk to you! This is a rare event for these situations. You are lucky to have a daughter like her. I'm thinking no dishes Or vacuuming......

I do have a question. How has this affected your daughter? Has she been frightened, inspired, what? I mean, does this make her leery of diving or interested in advancing her training? She showed terrific awareness and strong decision making skills. What is her cert level, if you don't mind talking about her? I ask because I have a 13 yr old and 15 yr old who are chomping at the bit to get to their Rescue courses. They have never been challenged like your daughter. She is impressive, and a Rescue course might really strengthen her even more. Unless she already has had it, then great training!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom