Diver Indicted in 2003 GBR mishap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Justice is so painfully slow. I feel for Tina's family and friends.

Justice also applies to the husband. Your comments apply he is guilty. Afford to him the same justice. The media pulls the story in one direction and so many just follow along and assume what story the media wants to put out there. Do you not absolutly know the media is worthless in America today.

How about this..
Justice is so painfully slow. I feel for both families and friends.

I am not taking sides. There are always two sides to every story and none of us know the facts other than what the media has reported... which seldom is truthful.

Justice is so painfully slow. I feel for Tina's family and friends.

Justice also applies to the husband. Your comments apply he is guilty. Afford to him the same justice. The media pulls the story in one direction and so many just follow along and assume what story the media wants to put out there. Do you not absolutly know the media is worthless in America today.

How about this..
Justice is so painfully slow. I feel for both families and friends.

I am not taking sides. There are always two sides to every story and none of us know the facts other than what the media has reported... which seldom is truthful.

hmm you are right there... he is not guilty until he is found guilty. I obviously can't make that determination unless I am on the jury and see all the evidence.

Actually I couldn't stand on the jury because I like many others here have read the transcripts of the police interviews and viewed parts of the Cororner's Report and proceding so I couldn't honestly say I am unbiased.

In all honesty I wouldn't want to stand on that jury.

I agree also that Gabe has been tried in the media and it has been sensationalized. I still don't believe the Australian system would go to all the expense of trying to get him here and try him unless they have some pretty convincing evidence. Just my opinion

I've spent a great deal of time pouring over the transcripts of Gabe's interview (and short video of a portion of the interview) with police as well as the published results of the Coroner's Inquiry and accounts of the witness testimony at the inquiry. For me, the words that came out of Gabe's own mouth and no one else's - alone - makes me believe he is guilty. I also could not serve on a jury because of the amount of time I've spent aquainting myself extensively with the details of this case.

So, I will not apologize for my support for Tina's family here. His unbelievable lies to Tina's parents and cavalier attitude towards them in the first days and weeks after Tina's death (long before they began to feel he had something to do with it) makes my blood boil and I could not have any sympathy towards him or his family at all. The way Gabe's mother played with her fingernails as though she was completely bored during the police interview as her son talked about the moment he left Tina - the most critical, dramatic moment - just floored me. Sympathy for her? Forget it. And that's not a media report - I watched that video and saw the behavior with my own eyes. And during the same interview, the way Gabe's mother tried to say Tina was "unsanitary" because Tina had friends. Not only did it not make any sense, it was highly inappropriate. Again, there is no way I can have one single ounce of sympathy for her. And there was the surveillance video tape of Gabe Watson removing flowers from Tina's grave and dumping them in the trash - also available on-line. Sympathy for him? NO. NO. NO. NEVER.

Make no mistake, I am not a fan of Watson. His story does not pass my smell test and there is a lot of post-incident behavior which is quite questionable to me. But, I must ask a question of those who say they have no sympathy for him. However, before I pose it, I want to note that it seems that the authorities have a suspect in the Chandra Levy case ... and to most everyone's amazement, it is not former Congressman Gary Condit. Who would have thought he didn't do it?

Would anyone change their position vis-a-vis sympathy for Watson if incontrovertible evidence developed showing that he was not responsible in any way, shape or form for Tina's death and, in fact, had done his absolute best to try to save her, but simply was unable to do so? (I do not mean to suggest there is such evidence. I only ask if peoples' minds are so made up that they will not change their minds, no matter what the facts.)

:shocked2:Oh but Mr Watson and his family do have my sympathy already:shocked2: After reading his interviews and viewing the tape of it I realize these poor people were not winners in the IQ lottery. Can't blame them for gene pool errors:shakehead:

They are responsible for their own actions however and should enjoy the consequences of them.... good or bad. I guess that is what the legal system is trying to do:no:

Actually, the only thing that I thought Gary Condit was guilty of was his poor judgment in having an affair with his intern. As I recall, he cooperated fully with the investigation throughout and did not try to run away or avoid it. Even though he would have had motive to kill Chandra, motive is not evidence and there was no evidence. Gary even talked to the press, there was nothing in those interviews that indicated inconsistent statements. After the investigation was completed, there were no charges against Gary. There was nothing that was even reported in the media of any kind of evidence of guilt. Anyone who tried to claim that he was guilty only on the basis of motive weren't doing our justice system any favors. Maybe on "Law and Order," you see congressmen killing their girlfriends, but how many times has it happened in real life? That kind of TV drama is not where I'm coming from.

However, in the Watson case, charges have been filed. That doesn't mean that he is guilty, but there is certainly more to the case than simply motive. Gabe's inconsistent statements are right there for everyone to look at. Maybe they shouldn't be for the sake of him getting a fair trial, but fact is, they are. His dive computer, the position where his wife was found, the testimony of the doctor who saw a male diver who had Tina in a "bear hug" and then let go of her and let her sink, are all evidence against his statements. And yes, he did not do himself any favors by giving a statement to the police, but the fact is - he did, and it can be used against him. If these police interviews had not been posted on the Australian newspaper web site, we would all just have to wait for the trial. I would not have developed such a strong opinion. I would have been highly suspicious, however, based on his behavior.

These two cases are nothing alike.

Would anyone change their position vis-a-vis sympathy for Watson if incontrovertible evidence developed showing that he was not responsible in any way, shape or form for Tina's death and, in fact, had done his absolute best to try to save her, but simply was unable to do so? (I do not mean to suggest there is such evidence. I only ask if peoples' minds are so made up that they will not change their minds, no matter what the facts.)

There have been several non-responsive posts, but my question has not been answered.

It is ok to say that you would hate Watson even if it turned out that it was someone else that killed Tina. It is your right. But, will someone come forward and say: "I don't feel sorry for Watson even if it is proven beyond a any possible doubt that someone else did it"?

Because I have spent so much time pouring over Gabe's interview and the Coroner's Inquest Report - for me, that would be like scientists saying we've been hiding the truth from you all this time - the earth is now flat. Even if Watson does face trial and a jury found him not guilty - I would think they got it wrong. In other words - I don't think it is possible, so I could never feel sorry for Watson. Response given.

102 pages and this is still going?

I will just add this. I am not a "certified" rescue diver, but if my wife and I are at depth and she has trouble, there will only be 1 of 2 outcomes...
1. I will be able to help her and we will both get to the surface safely.
2. The rescue divers will find us both on the bottom.
(She's coming to the surface with me or I will be with her until the bitter end.)

There would be no other alternative for me, God willing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom