Diver Indicted in 2003 GBR mishap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one more reason scuba-diving related deaths need to be investigated more deeply. This is the second case in recent years where a husband is suspected of killing his wife during scuba diving. Too often, autopsies are not performed in scuba-related deaths. Having more knowledge and experience could potentially help in a case like this.

how in the world can someone asphyxiate with plenty of air in the tank that is turned on?

as someone that has experienced a near panic at depth, let me tell you it can and does happen

cheers

Overbreathing of a reg due to overexertion or panic results in a build-up of CO2 causing the diver to breathe even faster, and as my sister described it, it was completely involuntary for her. I'm wondering if there is a way for the medical examiner to see a difference between a CO2 poisoning event due to overbreathing and asphyxiation due to complete lack of air. I'm not a medical examiner, but I'm thinking there should be a way to tell the difference.

Regarding number 1, I need to constantly clear my ears during my dives, as does my girlfriend. If I don't, I tend to get sharp nagging pain that can get more serious if I don’t pay attention. So for me at least, the possibility of being at depth and then later having ear issues is very plausible.

Cheers!

Maybe its just me but nothing about being a rescue diver says that you have to bring an unconcious person up. I thought it was a question of personal judgement.

Anyway it does seem to be interesting that he did not at least pull her weights and let her polaris up seeing that she is his wife but what do I know.

What I do know is I became rescue so as to help my friends and family while they dive it seems like he may not have but I will give him the benefit of the doubt as I hope anyone else would give me.

I would say the most potential damaging evidence will be the statements of the husband, especially if they are inconsistent. Potential inconsistencies for further inquiry that investigators could ask the husband:

1) It was said that he claimed he had ear problems and could not go down after her. Did the situation happen after they had already reached the deepest part of the dive? Usually if someone is having ear problems and cannot equalize, the most painful part of the descent is within the first 30 feet of the dive and would have to abort the dive.

I don't know about "usually" but I've had and seen equalization problems at all depths. On a planned 220, once I just couldn't get below 190. I had no trouble until then.
Essentially, it would be difficult to do the dive at all. If he claims they reached the wreck - how deep was it? And if it is below 30 feet, how could he claim ear problems? Has anyone ever experienced ear problems bouncing back and forth between depths after you have already successfully equalized?

Absolutely. Especially on any dive that inherantly has a lot of ups and downs. It's something you always have to think about on a cave dive where the cave goes deep and then gets shallow again. Equalization problems can make it hard to get back.

New, or otherwise unskilled divers, especially, do a lot of ups and downs due to poor buoyancy control and can run into equalization problems at any depth. They descend quicker than they intent too, get behind on equalizing and, bingo, an ear blocks up.

I have dived the Yongala 4 times, on two days about a year apart. In the conditions we had, it was an intermediate to advanced dive, with strong currents.

This tells me quite a bit...a new diver, a rescus diver (which could be new) and an intermediate to advanced site. Personally, given the nature of some of the sites that charters take novice divers to, I'm surprised more don't end up this way. Usually, though, they are able to flounder around without seriouse injury.

2) It is claimed he stated that she drifted away in the current. How can that possibly be? There is a picture of her, clearly within view on the bottom while a diver is performing a safety stop. Apparently, the rescue diver sent in to find her had no trouble in locating her.

I agree that the photo doesn't indicate a current, but for different reasons. The diver doing a safety stop could have been moving with the current and the photo would not have shown it. However the diver swimming in her direction was not crabbing - that is the indicator that there was no current - but if that diver had just turned when the pic was taken - well then it might not reflect a current. The pic is of no value without some time line or a second photo within a few seconds in the same direction

3) It is said that he claimed there were strong currents. The bubbles in front of the diver on the safety stop in the picture does not indicate a strong current.

Bubbles near your face are going to drift at the same rate as the diver. The bubbles would drift faster/slower as they ascend. The difference here is that the bubble could encounter differing current rates as they ascend. Same as divers. Divers are going to drift at very similar rates - there is no being swept away unless one diver is holding on to something that is fixed to the bottom or the surface

-s

1) It was said that he claimed he had ear problems and could not go down after her. Did the situation happen after they had already reached the deepest part of the dive? Usually if someone is having ear problems and cannot equalize, the most painful part of the descent is within the first 30 feet of the dive and would have to abort the dive.

Not always, for example i can descend fine first time on a dive, i get ear issues after doing lots of up and down in a dive (for example when teaching), after 1 or 2 of those i find i cant clear at all to re-descend that dive without a break.

2) It is claimed he stated that she drifted away in the current. How can that possibly be? There is a picture of her, clearly within view on the bottom while a diver is performing a safety stop. Apparently, the rescue diver sent in to find her had no trouble in locating her.[/quote]

Yep its odd

3) It is said that he claimed there were strong currents. The bubbles in front of the diver on the safety stop in the picture does not indicate a strong current. [/quote]

Cant tell that from a still frame photo.

4) It is said that he claims that she panicked and to illustrate her panicked state, he said she took off her mask and regulator. Other reports state that she had her regulator in her mouth and her mask on her face. This is certainly inconsistent.

Yep.

5) My sister said she had a panic attack in strong currents once. The overexertion was causing her to overbreathe her reg and she felt like she could not breathe. She said she actually took reg out of her mouth to breathe, and just barely stopped herself.

Yes - overbreathing does have that effect in deed. Even normal out of air/drowning often results in rejection of the regulator.

If you were investigating this case - what questions would you ask and what would the answers mean?

The fact the guy is trying to sue someone to me at least is the biggest sign of guilt.

Too often, autopsies are not performed in scuba-related deaths. Having more knowledge and experience could potentially help in a case like this.

Guess that depends where you are in the world. In lots of places post-mortum examinations are mandatory for all unexpected deaths which includes 100% of scuba fatalities.

6) how in the world can someone asphyxiate with plenty of air in the tank that is turned on?

On my first recovery dive, I had tons of adrenaline and nerves making prepare for my dive difficult. I threw my gear togather, turned on my air all the way, then back a turn. jumped into the sherrifs boat, and headed for my search area... On the way out I dbl checked my air, in doin so I turned OFF my air and back on a 1/4, yes lefty loosy righty tighty.. I know but S**T happens while other things are playing on your mind. I will tell you that a 1/4 turn with 2800 lbs in my al 80 your reg can and will stop breathing between 25 and 30 ft. it would be interesting to know if the air was turned all the way on.
Clay:coffee:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom