Diver killed on sluice complex - Netherlands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Diver killed while working on Arnhem sluice complex
A professional diver died after getting stuck while working on the sluice complex in the Rijn near Driel on Friday. His lifeless body was released after over an hour by lifting the sluice slightly, AD reports.

A fire department diving team freed the victim's body and brought it out of the water shortly after 1:00 p.m. Emergency workers tried to resuscitate the diver at the scene, but it was to no avail.

The Social Affairs and Employment Inspectorate is investigating what happened.

R/O Differential Pressure Accident

Great video, I had never heard of that.

Kevin seems to be assuming that the issue was a pressure differential. That is certainly a possibility near a sluice. However, to be clear, the Dutch media is reporting that the diver became trapped but it is not known how he became trapped. No details are being made public.

These kinds of accidents in the Netherlands are often followed up by legal hearings to determine if there has been a crime committed, such as "wrongful death" issues. Those proceedings usually take place within a year of the accident. It is highly unlikely that any additional information will be made public until that process has run its course. It is rare for criminal charges to be laid in such an event.

In addition the Dutch labour authority will review the procedures and see if anything procedural lead to the incident. This information is usually also not made public via the media and the focus will be to improve procedures to avoid a repeat of events. This process also takes months.

In addition to the information above I read in an article that the diver was 34 years old and he was trapped for an hour before they freed him.

R..

Lock out tag Out no substitution for safety and no spare keys.

I wish it was that simple: Florida Hull Cleaner Killed On The Job

It is complicated since not everything that can injure a diver is electrically powered or controlled. Most circuit breaker panels can be locked but engines often have 24vdc or pneumatic starters. Thrusters and windlasses can be AC, DC, or hydraulic. Some can be powered off shore power instead of just generators.

You really need the help of someone who knows the all systems onboard and appreciates the safety of divers more than the convenience of the owners, clients, and cooks. That can be a large order when the HVAC and refrigeration systems have to be shut down.

Edit: I hope that didn't come across as harsh, no offense intended.

No keys when I was in USN. But my name being on the line for the tagout approval and approval for divers in the water was well sufficient when I was EOOW or OOD. No one was going to die on my watch. Dive Sup didn't cut me any slack either. I'm sure the Netherlands authorities will look at all that, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom