Diver lost 15 Jan 2013 Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I get confused when quote marks are left off, but try to understand...

I'm having some challenges with all of the posts myself, and trying to quote a few here I want to try to address - with some difficulty...
A lot of people have made some leaps in the facts. I understand that you are all scared and or upset to lose a friend diver, But as tamys sisteI know that you do not even come close to knowing the facts. This needs to be friendly informative site. Thank-you all
Missing diver has not been found. Tammy has been diving for 7 yr. She just completed a 5k run recently
Hi TLsSis: We generally suggest that family & friends of accident victims not follow our threads here as the objective of this forum is to discuss possibilities, even bluntly, including speculations, with the hope of reducing accidents. On the other hand, the info we get from news sources is often questionable, and in this case especially so, so we appreciate info that family & friends do choose to share with us. People are going to talk, of course - and this forum is Moderated enough that it's still a lot better than comment sections on many news sites. We do actually have rules for this forum prohibiting condolences, and for good reason - those to be posted on our Passing forum, but it is still a sad lose.

Trying to discern what's what from different info from various sources, I take it that Tammy had been diving for 7 years as you said, had an Advanced Open Water (AOW) card as reported elsewhere here, however she had not been diving in a long time and this was her first ocean dive - two big points. During a required refresher course, the instructor recommended that she have a private DM go with her, but she refused. I hope my summation here is correct.

It is bizarre that a Mexican news source claimed that she had be found since she has not. Like others, I was suspicious of their claims that the dive operator tried to deny the loss and more. :shakehead:

Christi, even though a recovery has not happened, I am confused on where the claimed discovery site is in relation to the dive site? Is that beach north or south of the accident site? Excerpting from a couple of your posts...
She was found on the beach about 3 miles north of the dive site.
There were two newspaper articles (one posted here earlier) and it was on the radio today that the missing diver was found, and they said it was off the beach near Occidental Grand Hotel, which is approximately 3 - 4 miles south of the dive site - I also thought it was strange that she would have been found there.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we talking bad down currents. I use a waterproof EPIRB so if I get carried away by currents I can surface, and if it is apparent I am gone and in trouble, fire it up and a helicopter can come pick me up Down curernts however can be outright nasty, particularly if people are using Nitrox and think they will be OK with a MOD of say 32 metres and down they go to 50-70 metres. We always take great care to listen to the dive brief and note risks. Many are far to busy ignoring everything. I want to die very old enjoying diving, not young and with a life to live.

Take care everyone and consider the risks.

It still makes me laugh the way people will come to a thread such as this and be surprised by the speculation in the A&I section.......is this the only thread you have ever read back here? Maybe this area is not for you. I think it is safe to say that there have been some significant side discussions that will likely get moved at some point.

Firstly this forum is A&I forum, not a speculation forum! If you want to speculate do it somewhere else. I don't hope for your sake someone close to you ends up on this forum, would love to see how you react when the discussion (sorry speculation) goes the way this one is going?
No this is not the only thread I read but it seems you are a regular speculator here.
It its also safe to say like in my first post that there is also significant useless info!

I think you want the DAN report. It will be out in about two years.

This is a forum for discussion, hopefully so some of us can learn safer methods. If you object to that, Site Support forum has a Feedback area.

You are right, this is a forum to discuss accidents, but not to speculate about what could/might have happened. If there is no information, then let it be!!!!!! I still believe that learning safer methods for diving should not be handle here via speculation on a fatality.

But I will leave you alone to continue your awesome work. If you object to my comments, Site Support forum has a Feedback area.

Regards
ajduplessis

Firstly this forum is A&I forum, not a speculation forum! If you want to speculate do it somewhere else. I don't hope for your sake someone close to you ends up on this forum, would love to see how you react when the discussion (sorry speculation) goes the way this one is going?
This forum has special rules. You might read them:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/52701-special-rules-please-read.html
"(7) If your post is your hypothesis, theory, or a "possible scenario," identify it as such."

Speculations are allowed discuss how to prevent similar problems.

Last edited:
Sorry Don - typo on the second reference - I did mean north, the Occidental is north of the dive site - but this is irrelevant now. As it turns out, the newspaper article was false - unfortunately, she has not been found - and at this point, I doubt a body was recovered at all.

TL'sSIS - please accept my condolences. If you are upset by the information here because you know differently, perhaps you can help shed light on the facts and share the correct facts in contrast to what is posted here so that there is less speculation and continued misinformation.

As her sister, yes of course you know her better than any of us. Maybe you can help clear up these discrepancies. Are you a diver and were you also on the dive? Reports say that she was with two brothers, is that accurate? Her mother reported on the news that this was her first time diving, but other reports say that she was certified 7 years ago and had an Advanced Open Water card - which really doesn't speak to her actual experience as we know as divers. Experience is gained by regular participation and time in the water - not by #number of years certified or by card held.

The purpose of this particular forum is for accident analysis and discussion so that other divers can learn - this is what we do as divers. Of course, the only person who truly know what happened is Tamara - but we can learn from the facts as we know them leading up to the last point she was seen - but only if we have accurate information.

Please read this in the sincere spirit in which it was intended. There is no disrespect at all intended, only trying to help explain how this forum works and to ask that you and other family members/friends that are upset with the misinformation to correct these inaccuracies so that they will not continue.

Again, please accept my sincerest condolences. I will continue to hold your family and all of those who loved Tamara in my thoughts and prayers.

Firstly this forum is A&I forum, not a speculation forum!

You are right, this is a forum to discuss accidents, but not to speculate about what could/might have happened. If there is no information, then let it be!!!!!! I still believe that learning safer methods for diving should not be handle here via speculation on a fatality.

Regards
ajduplessis

A&I is usually consists of 90% speculation and very few facts.

A&I is usually consists of 90% speculation and very few facts.
Actually, compared to other threads I have read sparked by similar incidents in the past, there has been surprisingly little speculation in this one about what happened to cause the accident.

Here is where I believe we can all learn something. It is my understanding that Tamara came to the dive shop with an AOW. However, she had not been diving in a long time, and indicated that it was her first ocean dive, so, per shop policy she had to do a refresher course. During this refresher, the instructor recommended that she have a private DM go with her. She responded by laughing and saying no thank you, she was an advanced diver.

I really wish the cert agencies would get rid of the term "advanced open water diver." That and "rescue diver" It leads people to believe that they're somehow much more skilled than they are.

On the flip side, if a shop thinks someone needs a private DM, they need to just do it. "No thanks, I'm an advanced diver" shouldn't be an option.

flots.

West Valley City woman disappears off coast of Mexico -

Missing Woman • When group of divers surfaced, a West Valley City woman had vanished.
Emma Lashlee hopes officials find her missing daughter, Tamara, in the Gulf of Mexico, but in a quavering voice she said isn’t sure they will.
"I’ve got to hope," Lashlee said. "I’ve got to hope they’ll find her alive. But I have my doubts."
Tamara Lashlee, 43, of West Valley City. disappeared Monday while scuba diving off the coast of Cozumel, Mexico, her mother said. She was with a guided group of other divers but when everyone reached the surface, she was gone. No one knows what happened to her.
According to Emma Lashlee, Mexican officials are searching for her daughter and The Daily Mail reports that the Mexican Marine Armada has been deployed. Emma Lashlee also said another adult daughter has been communicating with the U.S. consulate in the area. In the meantime the family is waiting and wondering what could have happened.
"If they don’t find her alive, we’ll never know until we all get together in the hereafter," Emma Lashlee said.
Tamara Lashlee was certified to scuba dive, her mother explained, but it was her first trip. An adventurous woman who road a Harley and a four-wheeler, she had been excited to travel to Cozumel, and went with two brothers. Emma Lashlee said she heard that her missing daughter may have been having trouble with her ear.
The two brothers are still in Mexico, according to Emma Lashlee, and doing everything they can to help the search.
Tamara Lashlee has three children, ages 22, 19 and 16, her mother said. She was planning to close on a home Feb. 1.
Consulate officials did not return calls from The Salt Lake Tribune on Wednesday afternoon and efforts to contact local officials with knowledge of the situation were unsuccessful.

The Salt Lake Tribune

Back
Top Bottom