Diver lost 15 Jan 2013 Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do we believe we have enough information to determine that Tamara was ascending above the group and that is about the point the group lost sight of her? This then would beg a few other questions.

Was she ascending normally though higher in the water column and perhaps somewhat faster than the group or was she ascending before the group because of a self-perceived emergency?

Do we believe we have enough information to determine that Tamara was ascending above the group and that is about the point the group lost sight of her? This then would beg a few other questions.

I have no idea where you came up with this one. Maybe I missed something? As far as I know, there is lots of still-undetermined basic information about the diver, let alone anything specific about the dive itself.

To the sister of the missing diver; I'm very sorry for your loss, and please accept the comments and bickering on this forum with a grain of salt. It's really par for the course around here. Thank you for participating.

For the dive operators on the island.
When a call is made for a search, where is the first place you start to search and who coordinates who searches and where?
IF DP had a full boat (14) and all the divers were surfacing behind the missing diver and everyone hit the surface at the same time, how long would it take to load the divers.
How far could have the missing diver drifted in that time?

Logic would dictate that the search starts based upon the facts of the situation. Last known location, current direction, how long ago was the diver seen etc... Obviously in the beginning the dive boat with the missing diver is going to coordinate the initial search, after that it could change based upon incident and time, eventually being the Mexican Navy.

5-10 minutes to load 14 divers with no urgency. 2-5 minutes with urgency

You have to do the math based on the speed of the current and how long they have been missing. The x factor is what was the divers depth? Currents in Cozumel usually run faster at different depths of the water column.

Another update on the completely false newspaper article that claimed her body was found!

The finding at Occidental was a package of some sort - not a body! It really didn't make sense that her body would have ended up on the beach, it was silly of us to think that at least they had to be truthful about THAT detail!

Further proof that the local papers are nothing more than gossip rags and that everything they publish should be taken with a very, very large grain of salt! It amazes me that they can get away with this!

The search continues today! Prayers to the search team and the family!

I have no idea where you came up with this one. Maybe I missed something? As far as I know, there is lots of still-undetermined basic information about the diver, let alone anything specific about

It was in a couple of things I read, one wherein it said she had gotten ahead of the group and another that said something similar but was apparently discussing ascent. I'll look back to quote for you if you deem that necessary.

It was in a couple of things I read, one wherein it said she had gotten ahead of the group and another that said something similar but was apparently discussing ascent. I'll look back to quote for you if you deem that necessary.

From the newspaper article in post #184?

"They were going up to the surface and she was a little ahead, and then I guess she got out of sight or something, and they went up after her and they never did find her," said her mother from the family home in Wet Valley, Utah.

Thanks Hawkwood. Yes, that was one of the reads in this thread.

From the newspaper article in post #184?

"They were going up to the surface and she was a little ahead, and then I guess she got out of sight or something, and they went up after her and they never did find her," said her mother from the family home in Wet Valley, Utah.

this is purely speculation, but just pointing some ambiguity in the quoted sentence.

- when they were going up to the surface and she was a little "ahead", this could mean ahead horizontally, and not vertically.

- when they went "up" after her, this could also mean horizontally (people commonly use "up" in this sense, e.g. moving up in a line at the supermarket)

I don't know what happened, I just think that it is possible based on what I have read, that she inadvertently swam away from the group, and then had a problem.

I agree Christi whoever wrote that article about the body being found is very sad- people print gossip or something they overhear trying to break the news, but then when they are wrong rarely a retraction. When i saw the things they said about DP which i use and i know apple i knew it should be taken with a grain of salt.. my prayers for the family.

However, she had not been diving in a long time, and indicated that it was her first ocean dive, so, per shop policy she had to do a refresher course. During this refresher, the instructor recommended that she have a private DM go with her. She responded by laughing and saying no thank you, she was an advanced diver. .

Out of curiosity, was the refresher course done in a pool, ocean or classroom? This question is in no way intended to point fingers or place blame. I took a refresher course locally when there was a year gap in between dive trips. It was done in a pool and was of tremendous value.

I have been following this thread daily. While the news of finding the body was heartbreaking and tragic, I at least felt that it would help provide closure and allows possible answers for the family as to what happened. I had no idea the local papers could be so reckless with their reporting. Sickening.

Back
Top Bottom