Diver lost 15 Jan 2013 Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do we believe we have enough information to determine that Tamara was ascending above the group and that is about the point the group lost sight of her? This then would beg a few other questions.

Was she ascending normally though higher in the water column and perhaps somewhat faster than the group or was she ascending before the group because of a self-perceived emergency?

Does it really matter? She broke rule #1 stay with your buddy. That's the leson learned. The only one that can tell you why is her. I don't see what dissecting it any further accomplishes other than entertaining the people doing it.

Amazing that the paper (rag) reported that the body (package) was even transported for autopsy for cause of death!!!! Many here have posted before NOT to believe what is printed or reported in the local paper.....this drives that point home. When ever I am on island it is always difficult to weed through speculation and find the truth on just about any important matter.

Even US-based news outlets can't seem to keep from misinforming. "Emma Lashlee said her daughter loves the outdoors and is the adventurous type, but had never been scuba diving before." I wonder if the mother really said that, or if the reporter interpreted the mother's statement that way. As Tamara was apparently certified, she most certainly had been scuba diving before. (If I recall, another post here indicated that she was AOW but hadn't been diving in a few years.) The mother may have meant that Tamara had never taken a dive trip like this before or hadn't been diving in some years. Or maybe the mother wasn't aware at all that Tamara used to dive. It bothers me that the non-diving public is going to read this and blame Tamara for attempting to dive when she had reportedly "never been scuba diving before."

I seriously doubt the public will put any blame on the diver. I'd say the general public will assume that if she had never been diving before she was obviously on a Disney type experience where a super human dive master with millions of dives under his belt and was only inches from her at every moment, showing her the wonders of sea. There just aren't many American citizens left who believe in personal accountability and will look at the diver as being at fault. You can't even get divers on this website to not blame the dive operator.

Overview and Objective: The following should be considered a “best guess” approximation of the events that led to this unfortunate outcome. If “speculation” is a better disclaimer...then use it. Some comments made in US and UK papers are used but their accuracy is not guaranteed. Likewise, some comments made in Post #237 are incorporated but are not considered verified.

The point of this approximation of events is to establish a scenario to aid new divers, divers new to Cozumel diving and others to discuss possible problem areas and how to respond to them. Ultimately, there was likely a chain of events, possibly in and of themselves may not have lead to a bad outcome, but in their totality, a missing diver event occurred.

1. Diver information:

Diver A (the missing diver) is a female. Certified several years ago. Advanced Open Water (AOW) certification level. Diver A is not current and underwent a refresher activity at the Cozumel dive shop prior to diving. This was the first ocean diving experience for her. Estimated number of dives could be less than 20. Diver A is reported to be adventurous and likely in good physical condition.

Diver B. This is Diver A’s dive buddy. Assumed to be her brother. I have seen no information on the dive buddies experience level so will assume for this discussion to be comparable to that of Diver A.

2. Dive boat: Calypso. Some information on that boat is located here:

Dive Paradise, Cozumel MX - Our Fleet

Currently there is no indication that the boat or number of divers on the boat played any factor in this event.

3. Dive group: This has not been established to my knowledge but will assume a maximum of eight divers plus a divemaster (DM). There is no indication that group size/composition played any factor in the event.

4. Dive site: Palancar Caves: One description is below:

Reefs of Cozumel - palancar caves

5. Dive site conditions: To be supplied if provided.

6. Scenario leading to the missing diver event: Towards the end of the dive, Diver A reaches a position ahead of the group, either on purpose or due to a differential in current-induced groundspeed.

a) This will be taken as the first problem in the chain of events leading to the diver disappearance. There is also a well taught and easily implemented solution in strict adherence to the buddy system. Imagine that a good buddy system has each diver checking on the buddy approximately every 30-60 seconds.....even if just peripherally. Staying close to your buddy and recognizing early that they go astray makes it easier to get their attention to come back (if you have a signally device) or notifying the DM to assist as required.

b) This is an area where the guidance of a private DM can allow a diver to more quickly become proficient diving in Cozumel. Possible skills development follow:

1) Diver gets ahead of group: DM shows diver how to face into the current and slowly fin so that the group behind gets closer. DM shows the diver how to drop behind a coral formation and remain stationary while the group catches up.

2) Diver gets behind the group: DM shows the diver how to slowly fin and catch up the the group. Note that this should not be rocket science but part of this is allowing the diver to experience a new event and learn that they can stop, evaluate the situation and calmly make the right decision without fear or panic.

3) Diver is separated from the group in an unknown position relative to the group: DM shows the diver how to identify the group from various positions (behind, ahead, lateral) using bubbles, current evaluation, bubbles filtering through coral above swim throughs, etc. Once the group is found, diver uses appropriate means to rejoin.

Continuing the scenario, the group and Diver A ascend. From the the limited information, we do not know if visual contact was established or if it was, when it was lost, but apparently upon surfacing by the main group, Diver A was not to be found.

c. This ascent separation will be used as the second in the chain of events. While surfacing alone is not a death sentence, this seems to be a factor in two other recent Cozumel fatalities. Ascending as a group...or a minimum a buddy team...does offer safety advantages. If a diver runs low on air, there are others around. A fatal heart attack, while probably still fatal, at least results in the immediate recovery of the victim. Since this part of the event is so unclear and possibly may never have a factual accounting, we will provide possible skills development so that a person who finds themself in a buddy team of low experience divers, or a lone diver, will be more likely to react calmly and reach the surface safely.

1) The private DM can ascend with the buddy team suitably separated from the rest of the divers. Divers A and B will ascend to a suitable deep safety stop and wait until the DM feels that they are cable of remaining at that level. Ascend to a normal 15 foot depth for a three minute or so safety stop. Perhaps at the lower stop could be a time for the DM to deploy his SMB (safety sausage equivalent). If it can be done safely, the dive boat could make a nearby pass so that the divers experience what an approaching and receding dive boat motor sounds like. Then when the real safety stop is done, verify that no boat motors are heard and make a safe ascent and prepare for a quick area look for boats and related safety configurations.

2) This skills development assumes that the diver is alone and must make a solo ascent. The exact manner to do this is subject to proper teaching conditions but could have the two divers separated by several feet....back to back and angled slightly away from the DM to simulate being alone. Repeat the steps of #1 above with the DM right there to correct any less than ideal steps taken by the divers. As with other skills development, this gives the diver an opportunity to simulate an event in a controlled environment so that if it ever happens, they are more likely to react calmly.

Conclusion (mucho opinion): Having a basic scuba certification, or even an AOW card are nothing more than a gateway to improving your diving skills. My view is that people with minimal diving experience would be well served by taking time with a private DM and learn the skills needed to make diving Cozumel more enjoyable. I am a strong believer in self-reliance. Become proficient enough that you are an asset to your buddy and ultimately able to safely terminate a dive alone should that situation develop.

Disclaimer: I am not a scuba instructor so read with appropriate caveats.

Last edited:
Very well thought out and stated Ron - thank you!

The owner had divers searching all day some going down to 300ft to look.
I would hate for anyone to hurt themselves looking for me. But then I have said so on record, in the "If I die" thread - now missing, and a standing letter to my daughter.

After reading all of the comments in this thread, I thought it was time to put my two cents into this. There have been alot of good comments and some way out in left field comments posted. First of all, as someone who trains divers, I have observed that no matter how many times you try to stress diving safely and within your skills, the person will ultimately do what they want to. You can do all the briefings and classes you want to, but unless you have them on a leash during the dive, there is no way to 100% supervise everyone in a group. Each diver and buddy take some responsibility for themselves.
I speak as someone who have been involved with the aftermath of an incident where 2 novice divers saw a show on tv about the depth record for a scuba diver and decided to try and break it themselves. These divers, with 26 dives each to their credit, attempted a dive to 550 feet. Needless to say, it didn't go well. One made it back to the surface, we never found the other diver. Ultimately, it cost both their lives.
The second incident, was in Cozumel with a group that I was leading and involved a diver that I had certified previously. We had a buddy team reach the surface, after doing their safety stop with no problems, ascend and signal the boat. In the minute or two before the boat got in position to pick them up, one of the divers suffered a medical condition totally unrelated to scuba diving. Our group was diving with Dive Paradise and was on the Calypso, by chance, and I will state for the record.... The boat crew, the divemasters and crews from other dive companies and boats in the area responded immediately and professionally to the emergency. Sadly, our friend passed away. The reports published in the local papers we so grossly wrong, it made us all sick. They reported our friend as an uncertified diver, who had not been trained properly, and had a medical condition that we had ignored. Crap like this is what leads to rumors, false speculation and distress for the famiy and friends of the victim. It also causes those dive professionals involved to have a shadow cast on their experience, professionalism and their characters. I am writing this not because my opinion is any better than the rest of you here. I'm sure there are people who know way more than I do. But I do know that having been around Apple and her crews, it is so totally unfair to make blanket statements about proper training, how to supervise divers, what is the proper level of training for a divesite, etc, in this incident, when we don't actually know what did happen. There will be many chances to do this in the future. How about for once, we acknowledge that a tragedy has occured, mourn for the person lost, offer our thoughts and prayers to the family and friends, and our support to everyone else involved. Having been in their position, it is not fun!

Back
Top Bottom