Diver Medical Examiner’s Evaluation for over 45?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paula Trounce

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've just booked a liveaboard and i've been asked to fill out the Diver Medical | Participant Questionnaire.
I answered NO to all questions apart from No.2 on page 1 as i am over 45.
The operator has asked me to get it the Medical Examiner’s Evaluation Form part filled out by an Examiner. I read it as i don't need to as it states:
* If you answered YES to questions 3, 5 or 10 above OR to any of the questions on page 2, please read and agree to the statement above by signing and dating it AND take all three pages of this form (Participant Questionnaire and the Physician’s Evaluation Form) to your physician for a medical evaluation. Participation in a diving course requires your physician’s approval.
Am i wrong? (it's been known.

Attachments

• Diver_Medical_Participant_Questionnaire_10346_EN_English_2022-02-01.pdf
    767.3 KB · Views: 159
I've just booked a liveaboard and i've been asked to fill out the Diver Medical | Participant Questionnaire.
The operator has asked me to get it the Medical Examiner’s Evaluation Form part filled out by an Examiner. I read it as i don't need to as it states:
* If you answered YES to questions 3, 5 or 10 above OR to any of the questions on page 2, please read and agree to the statement above by signing and dating it AND take all three pages of this form (Participant Questionnaire and the Physician’s Evaluation Form) to your physician for a medical evaluation. Participation in a diving course requires your physician’s approval.
You are correct regarding the form. You can argue with the liveaboard operator, but they hold all the cards.

The problem is the form has changed but their rules have not. On the old form, there was just one page of questions and any Yes meant a signature was required. The new form is more nuanced.

You are correct regarding the form. You can argue with the liveaboard operator, but they hold all the cards.

The problem is the form has changed but their rules have not. On the old form, there was just one page of questions and any Yes meant a signature was required. The new form is more nuanced.
Thanks for confirming.
I'll see what they say. I really don't want to bother my Doctor as they have much more important things to do at the moment.

In USA you can go to a PatientFirst and get the form signed by a doctor, alleviating your Primary Care Doctor. See if PatientFirst in UK does the same.

Reading seems a challenge for the operator, you are over 45 (stupid age cut off) and when you went to “box B“ did you answer yes to those questions, no requires no further action.

truly the instructions are clear, if this operator can’t comprehend this simple form I wouldn’t want to see how they comply with shipboard safety Regs. I would find someone else to dive with.

That’s a piss poorly written form. Are they incompetent or doing it on purpose?

Saying that. Each country has different requirements for medicals. I understand that there are places that require everyone to have a medical.

I have had a medical with my GP in the UK (before ticking no didn’t require a medical). Don’t know how possible this would be now or would need to involve a diving doc?

I just filled out the same form... I said "yes" to being over 45. On page 2, I answered "no" to all the questions in box B. No further requirements are needed.

Participation in a diving course requires your physician’s approval.

Are you getting a cert on your liveaboard trip?

(I :heart: that bit on WRSTC form and all dive ops unable to read and/or comprehend it. To paraphrase an old joke, they're divers, not readers.)

Are you getting a cert on your liveaboard trip?

(I :heart: that bit on WRSTC form and all dive ops unable to read and/or comprehend it. To paraphrase an old joke, they're divers, not readers.)
I'm not no.

IMO, you are wrong.

At the bottom of page 1 the first sentence under Participant Signature states, "If you answered NO to all 10 questions above, a medical evaluation is not required."

You said you answered yes to being over 45. It's their pool their rules. You have two options, get the medical or find another pool.

Back
Top Bottom