Diver missing for 7 years recovered on Wilhelm Gustloff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Information about the wreck at MV Wilhelm Gustloff - Wikipedia

Body found on WWII shipwreck is diver who went missing 7 YEARS ago
The decomposing body of a diver discovered on the sunken wreck of a WWII transport cruiser has been identified as that of Robert Szlecht, a diver from Poznań who went missing in 2012.

The remains were discovered earlier this year by divers from the Baltictech group who came across the body stuck between the Wilhelm Gustloff’s hull’s middle and bottom while carrying out routine photo and video documentation.

Judging by the state of the remains, it was thought the body had been there for several years.

Now, DNA tests have revealed the body belongs to Robert Szlecht.

According to Onet.pl, Jolanta Rewers, Szlecht's sister in law, said: "The DNA tests confirmed it's Robert”.

Even before the DNA tests were carried out, all the evidence was pointing to the identity of the 44-year-old.

His wife recognized the golden chain he wore on his neck and the diving suit he was wearing. The DNA tests were the final confirmation.

Szlecht and his diving companions had been exploring the depths of Baltic when he went missing.

Although the Wilhelm Gustloff wreck was an attractive site for divers, in 1994 Polish authorities declared it a war grave and forbid any further expeditions out of respect for the thousands of victims left there.

When Szlecht went missing, his companions called for help and said they had been diving at the Terra tanker, located seven kilometres from Gustloff.

Despite a rescue operation, Szlecht’s body was never found.

His diving companions are now facing charges of unintentionally causing death, failure to provide help, and perjury.

Interesting- 7 years later, his dive buddies are now being prosecuted for perjury and unintentionally causing death because they lied and said they were diving a different wreck several miles away- because diving is prohibited on the wreck where the accident occurred.

I hope the authorities nail their asses, if for nothing else, causing an additional 7 years of grief for the surviving family members of the lost diver. The tragedy is compounded when the family does not know what actually happened to their loved one, and are unable to recover and put the body to rest.

From FB chatter:

- the group was allegedly known for choosing to dive WW2 sunk German warships
- from law point of view it will be impossible to prove te dive buddies fault: not possible to conduct procedural experiment, no data about the currents, no data from GPS, similar dive profile like on "Tera" wreck which is nearby and which they have claimed to be diving, same confession line of all surviving witnesses, no more other witnesses, long time lapse, no data from cellular phone tower's logins, administrative delinquency lapsed (5 years, and this happened 7 years ago).
If none of the dive buddies starts to snitch, all allegations would not stand in the court. How body ended up at "Gustlov"? We won't be sure, but all doubts will be resolved in accused favour.

I hope the authorities nail their asses, if for nothing else, causing an additional 7 years of grief for the surviving family members of the lost diver. The tragedy is compounded when the family does not know what actually happened to their loved one, and are unable to recover and put the body to rest.
This seems needlessly vindictive. Even if they'd confessed, his body still might not have been recovered any sooner, and even if it was, I'm sure the family still would have grieved his loss.

This seems needlessly vindictive. Even if they'd confessed, his body still might not have been recovered any sooner, and even if it was, I'm sure the family still would have grieved his loss.

Really? Of course the family would grieve the loss no matter what occurred or where it occurred. But there is an extra layer of grief that falls on those whose loved ones are killed/missing and not recovered. Ask any family member of a soldier lost in battle, or killed in an aviation accident, or lost at sea. It is devastating, and I have absolutely no sympathy for those that intentionally cause that kind of pain to an already grieving family.

You're making a lot of assumptions about what I know of grief, and about how every person would react in a given situation. Perhaps I'm also assuming too much in hoping his family's reaction toward his friends would be more generous than yours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom