Diver missing in Davao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sorry to hear about your friend Bing. condolences.
spearfishing in deep sea is still very popular in davao. some of my friends dive this way. some of the veteran divers in davao dive this way. why they choose to do it is beyond me. but these divers know the risks involved in the type of dives they do. hard for me to say whether or not they should be doing it. to each his own i guess.

Below is text from the Philippine Commission on Sports Scuba Diving rules and regulations.

Under provision of Letter of Instruction no. 745 & Office of the President Memorandum Order no. 275 S. 2008, rules and regulations governing the business of sport scuba diving in the Philippines include;

Chapter 2 - Applications and Issuance of License

Section 1.Mandatory Licensing
No person, natural or juridical, shall operate or manage a scuba diving establishment withoutfirst being licensed by the Philippine Commission on Sports Scuba Diving.

Section 2. Who May Apply
a. Any dive professional desiring to give lessons, assist in the training, or conduct activities related to sports scuba diving in the Philippines whether or not for a fee.

b. Any establishment organised under Philippine laws and duly registered with appropriate government agency/s engaged in sports scuba diving activities whether or not for a fee.

Section 4. Requirements for Licensing
A. Dive Boat Operator [an establishment or person that operates a sail or motor boat duly licensed by appropriate government agencies to service scuba divers] are required [amongst other things] to have 'current third party liability accident insurance' (point 7).

B. Professional Dive Centre [an establishment engaged in any or all of the following activities; 1) selling scuba diving related equipment; 2)renting out scuba diving equipment; 3) providing air fill service; 4) servicing and repair of scuba diving related equipment; 5) conducting scuba diving courses or underwater tours.] are required [amongst other things] to have 'current third party liability accident insurance' (point 3).

C. Dive Facility [an establishment engaged in any or all of the following activities; 1) selling scuba diving related equipment; 2)renting out scuba diving equipment; 3) providing air fill service; 4) conducting scuba diving courses or underwater tours.] are required [amongst other things] to have 'current third party liability accident insurance' (point 3).

D. Sports Scuba Diving Professionals [a diver with a rank of Instructor, Assistant Instructor or Divemaster as certified by an International or Nationally recognised certifying agency who conducts sports scuba diving activities in the Philippines whether or not for a fee are required [amongst other things] to have 'current and valid third party liability accident insurance' (point 5).

Chapter 4. Prohibited Acts

Section 1. Dive establishments and dive professionlas shall prohibit the following acts:

a. Collection or destruction of corals;

b. Capture of or harm to endangered marine species;

c. Use of toxic chemicals in the course of diving;

d. Spearfishing using scuba;

e. Salvage of/or transferring with any sunken artifacts without the necessary permit from proper authorities.

Chapter 7 Rules and Procedures Governing Complaints and Hearing Before the Commission

Section 18. Reporting the accident to the Commission.
Diving accidents that warrant professional medical attention should be reported in writing within 48 hours by the dive leader and the dive establishment to the Commission containing all pertinent data about that particular dive(s); likewise, the involved dive leader and the scuba diving establishment shall make available to the Commission the victims scuba diving equipment.

Chapter 10. Effectivity

These rules and regulations shall take effect thirty (30) days after its publication in the Official Gazette or any newspaper of general circulation [originally 2007]

[Note: rules and regulations were issued at the Dive Congress, 29 January 2009]

For further information, contact:

PCSSD
Room 618, DOT Building,
T.M. Kalaw Street
Rizal Park
Manila 1000
Telephone: 5243735; Trunkline 5238411; Local200.
Fax. 5248977

Footnote:
Presently, the only member of PCSSD in Davao (registered) is Wind and Wave Davao. Wind and Wave Davao do not permit spearfishing or deep diving (beyond certification depths). Tourists wishing to dive in Davao who want to avoid these needless tragedies should consider Wind and Wave Davao as their preferred operator until matters change.

And, to be crystal clear, we have absolutely no affliation with Wind and Wave Davao.

When the PCSSD get serious it will join the real world by having e mail and a webb site that works! I know that they are trying to update the system but if they have things to tell the dive industry they should let us know instead of expect us to read the correct newspaper for details!

Is Spear Fishing really Illegal in the Philippines, It should be in order to protect people from themselves!

All spearfishermen. Good! Now they are getting to be endangred species. They are stupid to go that deep just to spear some fish. They have to go that deep because there is not that much fish left in Davao. If you dive that deep just for that, then they deserve what they get. If you smoke, you may get cancer. If you drive drunk you may kill people. If you dive that deep, well **** happens. Maybe we will not have to worry about these guys coming to our area to mess things up. Theres not that many left.

Andrew,
If you have the full copy of the regulations of the PCSSD please e mail them to me so that maybe I can show it to the City Officials especially the bit about Spear Fishing with Scuba!
I asked Yevette Lee for them ages ago but did not get them!

All spearfishermen. Good! Now they are getting to be endangred species. They are stupid to go that deep just to spear some fish. They have to go that deep because there is not that much fish left in Davao. If you dive that deep just for that, then they deserve what they get. If you smoke, you may get cancer. If you drive drunk you may kill people. If you dive that deep, well **** happens. Maybe we will not have to worry about these guys coming to our area to mess things up. Theres not that many left.

edwin wasn't a spearfisher, and spearfisher or not, nobody deserves to die (with a few exemptions of course)

you have more things to worry about than us. maybe one of these days you'll strap a tank of air on your back with a thingy to help you breathe underwater and die. ****e happens.

as for dennis, he'll be at angel funeral at torres st. davao… those who know him, and know how kind and pleasant he was please drop by

btw, mario, head of the salvage crew that recovered dennis' body, dives the sagami maru on almost a daily basis (200-240fsw) with a single of tank air and wooden fins (for the past 20yrs or so)

Chris

PCSSD Rules and Regulations are not published on the web. You are right to say that this needs doing - and they need a website to inform responsible dive tourism operators/individuals (maybe it exists, but is hard to find. I got tired to look for this).

Maybe Yvette Lee or Cynthia Carrion can post a .doc/.pdf version here???

Until these rules/regs are sent direct to dive centres/operators/individuals, then who can expect to know the rules/regs????? These were suppose to be passed on to you and other dive ops via LGU's a while ago and implemented.

If YL/CC or others can't do this, then we will scan our copy and post them on the forum.

sorry to hear about your friend Bing. condolences.
spearfishing in deep sea is still very popular in davao. some of my friends dive this way. some of the veteran divers in davao dive this way. why they choose to do it is beyond me. but these divers know the risks involved in the type of dives they do. hard for me to say whether or not they should be doing it. to each his own i guess.

really very sad indeed james… it was kadayawan, day of indak-indak sa dalan and everybody was in a festive mood. bong (velez) even spoke to him that morning at the shop.

yes, it is really beyond comprehension why (we) place ourselves at (more) risk. perhaps it's just the way we are wired.

edwin wasn't a spearfisher, and spearfisher or not, nobody deserves to die

You are right. Nobody deserves to die. However, I think that jr.dm really said what many reading this thread really think - that diving way beyond the accepted safe limits set by all dive orgs, pro bodies, etc is dangerous; there are rules and regs worldwide for years saying the same and for good and scientific reasons.

So why do people still ignore all this to do dangerous stuff? Now there is heartache and a widow and children. And also man in chamber who might never dive again.

Why???

Spearfishing in deep sea is still very popular in davao. some of my friends dive this way. some of the veteran divers in davao dive this way. why they choose to do it is beyond me. but these divers know the risks involved in the type of dives they do. hard for me to say whether or not they should be doing it. to each his own i guess.

There are greatly heightened risks with the style of diving that spearfishers do. It does not mix with sports diving tourism. This is recognised by the PCSSD and dive regulatory bodies worldwide.

Now two times have tourist been involved in body recovery in past 8 months in Davao. Last saturday was a birthday for a Dutch man and his friends were making fun dives and having good time.

Then abandoned beach bbq/fun to joined search for body of Dennis. Happy birthday.

Previous death of spearfisher involved German tourists and body on banka for more than 2 hours back to Davao.

Is this good tourism/promotion for Davao???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom