Diver missing in Davao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bing, the last time I checked anyway, is that we all are going to die, so we all deserve it someday. The way your group dives we won't have to worry about it soon. As for Mario the salvage guy, maybe he can give your group a course or at least some advice on how to dive deep. Its too bad that this continues, maybe some Davao officials will put a stop to this kind of diving. As for "all spearfishermen", please correct me if I am wrong. My understanding is that the 3 people that had problems yesterday were spearfishermen.

PCSSD must be informed of this death (as per their rules and regulations) and an investigation undertaken by their officials is required so that the facts behind the accident can be established and lessons can be learned to prevent such tragedies from happening again.

Also, an investigation for the DCS case in DMSF where medical treatment was required.

However distressing, this information must be made public to inform others so as to prevent fatalities/accidents like these in the future.

PCSSD also has procedures to punish dive shops/individuals if misconduct/unsafe practices/safety has been compromised viz their rules and regulations.

Is anyone aware where their accident reports are published? Do they get sent to DAN?

Bing.

Do you know details of diver in recompression? Did he dive to 285ft to look for Dennis or was he buddy for spearfisher?

I heard he is dive-pro working for Carabao Dive Centre.

Is this true?

wwd, yes, richard works for carabao… he was doing intro dives saturday morning and went straight to help find dennis in the afternoon after hearing the news. as i understand, he did two consecutive deep dives without proper S.I. not sure at what depth but i'm sure both were below 200.

fortunately frank had medical 02 on hand

Bing, the last time I checked anyway, is that we all are going to die, so we all deserve it someday. The way your group dives we won't have to worry about it soon. As for Mario the salvage guy, maybe he can give your group a course or at least some advice on how to dive deep. Its too bad that this continues, maybe some Davao officials will put a stop to this kind of diving. As for "all spearfishermen", please correct me if I am wrong. My understanding is that the 3 people that had problems yesterday were spearfishermen.

yes it is too bad, but i don't expect anything to change anytime soon. two divers had problems last saturday. dennis, as we all know is dead, and richard, who was too gung-ho looking for dennis (re my reply to wwd) is now in DMS undergoing treatment.

btw john… i dove with you two years back during paul's divefest over at southpoint. we were the only ones left in the water. dunno if you remember, but i remember your distinct visayan accent

wwd, yes, richard works for carabao… he was doing intro dives saturday morning and went straight to help find dennis in the afternoon after hearing the news. as i understand, he did two consecutive deep dives without proper S.I. not sure at what depth but i'm sure both were below 200.

fortunately frank had medical 02 on hand

Thanks Bing

Richard is a really good guy and we wish him a full and speedy recovery. We thought he must have gone looking for Dennis and probably pushed his limits beyond the max - its human nature.

Is there anything people can do to help?

Below is text from the Philippine Commission on Sports Scuba Diving rules and regulations.

Under provision of Letter of Instruction no. 745 & Office of the President Memorandum Order no. 275 S. 2008, rules and regulations governing the business of sport scuba diving in the Philippines include;

Chapter 2 - Applications and Issuance of License

Section 1.Mandatory Licensing
No person, natural or juridical, shall operate or manage a scuba diving establishment withoutfirst being licensed by the Philippine Commission on Sports Scuba Diving.

Section 2. Who May Apply
a. Any dive professional desiring to give lessons, assist in the training, or conduct activities related to sports scuba diving in the Philippines whether or not for a fee.

b. Any establishment organised under Philippine laws and duly registered with appropriate government agency/s engaged in sports scuba diving activities whether or not for a fee.

Section 4. Requirements for Licensing
A. Dive Boat Operator [an establishment or person that operates a sail or motor boat duly licensed by appropriate government agencies to service scuba divers] are required [amongst other things] to have 'current third party liability accident insurance' (point 7).

B. Professional Dive Centre [an establishment engaged in any or all of the following activities; 1) selling scuba diving related equipment; 2)renting out scuba diving equipment; 3) providing air fill service; 4) servicing and repair of scuba diving related equipment; 5) conducting scuba diving courses or underwater tours.] are required [amongst other things] to have 'current third party liability accident insurance' (point 3).

C. Dive Facility [an establishment engaged in any or all of the following activities; 1) selling scuba diving related equipment; 2)renting out scuba diving equipment; 3) providing air fill service; 4) conducting scuba diving courses or underwater tours.] are required [amongst other things] to have 'current third party liability accident insurance' (point 3).

D. Sports Scuba Diving Professionals [a diver with a rank of Instructor, Assistant Instructor or Divemaster as certified by an International or Nationally recognised certifying agency who conducts sports scuba diving activities in the Philippines whether or not for a fee are required [amongst other things] to have 'current and valid third party liability accident insurance' (point 5).

Chapter 4. Prohibited Acts

Section 1. Dive establishments and dive professionlas shall prohibit the following acts:

a. Collection or destruction of corals;

b. Capture of or harm to endangered marine species;

c. Use of toxic chemicals in the course of diving;

d. Spearfishing using scuba;

e. Salvage of/or transferring with any sunken artifacts without the necessary permit from proper authorities.

Chapter 7 Rules and Procedures Governing Complaints and Hearing Before the Commission

Section 18. Reporting the accident to the Commission.
Diving accidents that warrant professional medical attention should be reported in writing within 48 hours by the dive leader and the dive establishment to the Commission containing all pertinent data about that particular dive(s); likewise, the involved dive leader and the scuba diving establishment shall make available to the Commission the victims scuba diving equipment.

Chapter 10. Effectivity

These rules and regulations shall take effect thirty (30) days after its publication in the Official Gazette or any newspaper of general circulation [originally 2007]

[Note: rules and regulations were issued at the Dive Congress, 29 January 2009]

For further information, contact:

PCSSD
Room 618, DOT Building,
T.M. Kalaw Street
Rizal Park
Manila 1000
Telephone: 5243735; Trunkline 5238411; Local200.
Fax. 5248977

Footnote:
Presently, the only member of PCSSD in Davao (registered) is Wind and Wave Davao. Wind and Wave Davao do not permit spearfishing or deep diving (beyond certification depths). Tourists wishing to dive in Davao who want to avoid these needless tragedies should consider Wind and Wave Davao as their preferred operator until matters change.

And, to be crystal clear, we have absolutely no affliation with Wind and Wave Davao.

Did you find this on the web? google?

its commendable that Wind and Wave does not condone spearfishing and deep diving. maybe that's why they're the dive shop chosen by pearl farm and paradise island. but you dont dive with wind and wave do you? i seem to recall you were strongly endorsing another diveshop.

Once again Sorry Bing, as I'm sure it's not an easy time. I'm still trying to fathom the fact that people are diving on air to 285 feet, you guys correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't MOD on air around 218 feet (from a physiologically standpoint), and that is really 'pressing the envelope'. I'm mean Christ going that deep on air is totally blowing through the envelope! I don't get it!:shocked2:

Did you find this on the web? google?

Its not on the web. This is half the problem. It was passed down to LGU's/DOT to be disseminated on the ground. I have hard copy from dive congress. I can prepare as .pdf when I get time (assuming there is not a .pdf or .doc that someone can put onto the forum).

its commendable that Wind and Wave does not condone spearfishing and deep diving. maybe that's why they're the dive shop chosen by pearl farm and paradise island. but you dont dive with wind and wave do you? i seem to recall you were strongly endorsing another diveshop.

I like diving with Maeng from Davao Scuba because he is a very good guy and one of best/most knowledgeable macro guides we know. We have dived several times with Wind and Wave before and found them to be well organised and very safe op; the follow the rules.

As spearfishing becomes more popular in Davao and tradegies seem to be becoming more frequent, I think we will dive with them in the future.

First and foremost, our condolences to the bereaving family members of this incident. It’s so unfortunate that this tragedy happened in the first place. This type of radical diving profile is absurd, yet there are extreme thrill seekers out there that will continuously push the limitations way beyond the envelope of safety, unfortunately they pay the ultimate sacrifice. Why does this continue to occur in the Davao area? As for (PCSSD) the agency that is supposed to implement rules and regulations for sports scuba diving here in the PI; you would expect that they should have a web site to disseminate useful information to the diving public. Hardly anything to be found on the net in regards to this so called governing agency, it’s time they get their act together.

Back
Top Bottom