Diver missing on Cape Breton in Nanaimo 11/24/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When Steve Olette retreives bodies from the greatlakes, He now has to vidieo the procedure instead of giving his statement. He told me that at whitefish point 2001. I say it is safer at 200 and beyond depths for a statement. just my opion. Hi steve,Say hi to billy, Bring him here now that he is divoced. SORRY off the subject POLICE DIVERS HAVE PROTOCALLS, TAKES TIME.

I've edited my question from the thread as I've gotten an answer via a PM
and considering the sensitive nature of this thread I think it best to keep
my question in the PM zone so as to keep things focused on the subject of the search.

Thanks.

I believe the team would do all they physically could do if they were allowed -- please don't mistake their actions as a lack of desire or skill -- please blame the bureaucrats who place sometimes overly restricting rules and regulations on them. For example, remember the Cap Rouge II going down in 2002.

I can understand the frustration that you, and his wife, must be feeling though.

// I'm still sad

Sorry, did not mean to imply the men who comprise the dive team are not doing everything within their power to make this recovery. I am upset that their hands are tied by such a restrictive set of guidelines.

I just got word that they have finally started searching the stern so I expect some results soon.

Dave, please check with the boat operators as to who he was with, as it was not his wife.

Huh? Where did you get that?

Dave, please check with the boat operators as to who he was with, as it was not his wife.

Words cannot explain...

Very sorry, yes it is confirmed not his wife.

Sorry, did not mean to imply the men who comprise the dive team are not doing everything within their power to make this recovery. I am upset that their hands are tied by such a restrictive set of guidelines.

Agreed. They wasted a day futzing around when it could've been done quickly and effectively using volunteer technical divers.

I just got word that they have finally started searching the stern so I expect some results soon.

Would I be correct in assuming that they will be starting the search in the prop shaft area?

Agreed. They wasted a day futzing around when it could've been done quickly and effectively using volunteer technical divers.

I know the Alberta underwater council has a group of divers who can do that sort of thing. I guess since BC has the RCMP dive team we are not able to employ civvies no matter how much more their equipment cost

Would I be correct in assuming that they will be starting the search in the prop shaft area?
Very close but from the description given by the "dive buddy" I am thinking they were in a cofferdam somewhere around the provision stores when he was last seen.
So yes I expect the lower aft end will produce results.

I know the Alberta underwater council has a group of divers who can do that sort of thing.

There is a group of volunteers called NAARS (Northern Alberta Aquatic Rescue Society) that operates here but they are recreational limits only. There isn't anything formal setup for deep stuff because there isn't the need.

I guess since BC has the RCMP dive team we are not able to employ civvies no matter how much more their equipment cost

I guess they felt they had to use the RCMP to their extent of their capabilities before they call in the volunteers. However there is precedence for using civilian divers. When they found the remains of that guy off Gabriola, they used civilian divers to do the recovery because of the depth.

Very close but from the description given by the "dive buddy" I am thinking they were in a cofferdam somewhere around the provision stores when he was last seen.
So yes I expect the lower aft end will produce results.

That's a nasty area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom