Diver Training: How much is enough?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That day wasn't as cold as the 26 degree day on which I dove two weeks ago. The nice thing about Puget Sound is that the water doesn't change temperature much -- 45 to the low 50's -- and it's almost always calm, except on very exposed sites or very windy days. We dive in a lot of conditions other people would eschew.

Not everyone is a warm water wuss :)

I've done ~ 15 dives in the Victoria area, temp averageing 44F - 45F, in a wetsuit. I thought it was awesome :)

The St Lawrence is positively balmy!

Certification does not say what your ability level is. I agree...... It says what an agency has at some time VERIFIED your level to be. You should only be able to the limits of your documented /certified training. There are always some eexceptions to the rule. Would i deny an ow to go in a lake that was 70 ft deep. Most likely not. Would i deny an ow a 50 ft dive in an area whre 2 kt currents come and go without warning. Most probably. Letting a diver with no more documentation than ow in a dive >60 is akin to giving a 15yo a car for the night even though he has only a lerners permit. After all he has all the skills of a full licensed driver according to mom and dad. Tell that to the cop when someone gets hurt. The boats have no concern who is diving on thier boats so long as they have some cert at some level (to satifly the INS CO) and they SIGN A VAIVER making them faultless for letting them dive beyong thier certification. You position seems bent on negating the value of any certification process. I see from you profile you are a shrink. For auguments sake What makes you different from those who tune into Dr Phil each day in regard to thier qulaificaiton to shrink. Please keep in mind that by your standard.. the state issued license does not necessary reflect any ability. So someone with a license or someone without. Can they with REASON be accepted as equal??? If the couch counsler wants to venture to the professional environment. Why should they not be expected to aquire the credentials from a respected source that will certify thier qualifications and eligibility to practice.

Many people get their OW cert., dive and grow as divers through independent study and experience, and are quite capable of deep & sub-optimal conditions diving without any cert. beyond OW. If you are referring to 'newbie' OW cert. divers, that may be different. Cert. level doesn't always dictate competence level.

I feel much more comfortable shore diving the west coast of Bonaire, or 'follow the leader' guide-led dives in St. Thomas or Grand Cayman, vs. lake diving. I tried lake diving at Dale Hollow Lake, so my idea of lake diving isn't wreck diving the great lakes. I don't care to try something like the latter without 'veterans' of the environment along for the ride.

Richard.

What is so special about Nova Scotia that you require all your students to do chamber rides?

Peter, I don't teach to the 'minimum Standards' (this is a term you may not be familiar with as PADI doesn't have this). Basically, 'minimum Standards' are the minimum course content that a Student must meet to be certified in 'ideal conditions.' If local conditions require additional training, the Instructor is required to add any training that will ensure Diver safety. The 'added material' becomes a requirement for certification. The certification Agency encourages the Instructor to teach past the 'minimums,' even if the conditions are ideal.

I add a chamber ride to the course, as it clearly outlines the hazards of depth. Nitrogen Narcosis is a real threat and I've found that new Divers have a respect for depth that they might otherwise not have. They also can better understand how AGE and DCS are treated. It enhances the training and the students are thankful for the experience.

You cry that your students need to be "comfortable in the water" and have some swim test (whatever it is) but why isn't it necessary for a WWW to be comfortable in the water and pass a swim test (whatever it is)? And so on.

Many studies have been undertaken that show that there is a direct association between a person's fitness, swimming ability, level of in-water confidence and panic. Some of these studies have been diving focused (as I've previously posted in other threads) and others pertain to other activities. Putting a weak or non-swimmer into a more challenging environment isn't something that I'd recommend; as I believe it's not in the best interests of the Student.

You cry that your students needs to understand cold, current and tides because you have big tidal shifts and bad currents. Well, ALL students need to understand the environment in which they are trained.

Yes. A Student that's learning to dive here must possess the knowledge and skill-sets to dive safely. Similarly, a Student who learns to dive in Bonaire needs to possess the knowledge and skill-sets to dive there safely. What each of these divers require however, is not the same. The two courses are different in course content and as such, the Standards of certification should be different.

In other words, what a person needs to learn to drive a racing car on a track is different from another who drives a tractor trailer on a highway. Both are 'Drivers,' but what they need to know is different. The training courses require different standards that will provide for a reasonable degree of safety in both environments. "One Standard" for both environments is insufficient.

Anyway, DCBC, we do know you are convinced that there can not be "standards" for the training of a basic open water diver which apply everywhere. Many of us disagree. The end.

It's not a matter of convincing you. Given your background, your position is what I expected it to be. I do feel however, that it is often beneficial to discuss different points of view. There have been a few posts by others that this discussion has been interesting (although I'm sure that it has been frustrating to others). When any Group's values are questioned, frustration is often the result.

---------- Post added January 29th, 2013 at 08:27 AM ----------

Pass on minimum standards insures tht the GI JOES of the instructor community do not redesign the course and sell it under the agencies name.

That is the position of one certification Agency. Other Agencies insist that their Instructors have a duty to their students (to prepare them for the local diving environment) and in-fact the Instructor is negligent if additional training is not provided (above the minimums) to provide the new diver with the knowledge and ability to ensure a required 'reasonable degree of safety.'

I doubt that anyone could argue that n hte north atlantic, the couse content is not only going to be different,,, the leignth of the course will also be different along with the course costs ect.

If you change the course content, is it not reasonable to change the 'Standard' of what is required for certification? Some are suggesting that what's required for safe diving is universal and one Standard covers every diving environment. I obviously disagree.

...If you want to get out of the basic open water ENVIRONMENT then take the advanced open water training to go into the more unforgiving open water environments such as the ocean with currents and walls ect. Too many are trying to make students have skills beyond thier certification title. Its fine to add to a course more complex aspects but that is desert and not the main meal that was paid for or guarenteed to be served.

For some, the local diving environment IS the Ocean (for my students: the North Atlantic). The 'Certification' that's issued suggests that they are qualified to dive in conditions equal to or better than those in-which their training took place. Like you've suggested, an Ocean environment may require more comprehensive training and as such, what must be achieved is not the same as another area. That is why many certification Agencies recognize this and establish 'minimum Standards,' but recognize the course content will need to change to suit the environment.

Last edited:
KWS:

The process involved in training to get a license to practice as a Psychiatrist or Psychologist is drastically longer and greater than that to get an OW cert., a lot of testing is done, periodic peer review letters are required for hospital privileges where I work, and you perform paid professional services on other people.

If you want to compare that to diving, it'll need to be to professional divers - instructors, dive masters or commercial divers.

If someone wants to read up on psychology and counseling methodology and informally advise others, who's stopping them?

In fact, how many columnists do something like that?

Thank you you told me everything i expected to hear from you and more.

Your position about comulnists is correct however, The columnist is "FOR ENTERTAINMENT PUROSES" as opposed to professional purposes. How many formal shrinks condemn columnists for not being adaquately trained to give advice. Because technically they are giving advice and are encroching on thier turf. And of those, how many say that because thier egos are bruised or they are elitist's and they themselves find power in being able to hold a sheepskin over someone else. How many find them selves as failures unless they can revolutionize some aspect of thier occupation in a way that all mankind will be better for. How many feel the established standards are holding them as an instructor back? At some point the focus is no longer the trainee it is the trainer. These people are the problem people when it comes to the thread theme. HOW MUCH TRAINING IS ENOUGH.

As an hypothetical example. An instructor who is a comercial diver has his OW students do mask clears in a full face mask. Can he require it? perhaps. should he? NO Can he be stopped? Yes but not if you want your cert in a timely mannor. Not everyone is made to instruct. The majority of basic instructors can not conceive of teaching beyong the basic levels they dive at. Ther are those that are advanced types that cant conceive of teaching anything less than the advanced level they dive at. In most cases to attempt to have a mind and soul basic instructor teach advanced level would be less productive than desired. Likewise wise the super advanced or comercial trying to teach basics that do not adaquately suppport his diving style. Very similar to a writer being tasked to teach spelling. You are a shrink and yet none of your postings allow for any room for valid questioning of you position. Any one who would attempt that is shrugged off based on some small flaw found to maintain the distinction and seperation of the superior and the nots. This reminds me of the shrink and a patient on the couch. The patient says "Well doc how would you feel if ......? The doc replies. How i would feel is not important, It is your feeling of being dominated over that is of issue here.
KWS:

The process involved in training to get a license to practice as a Psychiatrist or Psychologist is drastically longer and greater than that to get an OW cert., a lot of testing is done, periodic peer review letters are required for hospital privileges where I work, and you perform paid professional services on other people.

If you want to compare that to diving, it'll need to be to professional divers - instructors, dive masters or commercial divers.

If someone wants to read up on psychology and counseling methodology and informally advise others, who's stopping them?

In fact, how many columnists do something like that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom