Diver vanishes off Lauderdale-by-the-Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Diver vanishes off Lauderdale-by-the-Sea

BROWARD, Fla. - A man was in a The Lady Go Diver excursion to the SS Copenhagen shipwreck on Saturday morning when he vanished at sea.

The 50-year-old man disappeared about half a mile off Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, according to the Coast Guard.

The search team included boat crews from the Coast Guard Station Fort Lauderdale, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, the Broward Sheriff's Office and the Fort Lauderdale Fire Department.

A Coast Guard helicopter from the Miami air station was also helping with the search.

The Lady Go Diver is a commercial boat charter with the Dixie Divers at 455 South Federal Highway in Deerfield Beach.

I just saw this on channel 10 news out of Miami - diver still not located.

I was diving just north and east of the Copenhagen yesterday. There was a stiff current, faster near the surface. This area has a lot of boat traffic, so even with the current if he had made it back to the surface (and remained there) he probably would have been picked up relatively quickly.

Well, as of 0700 today, June 25 the diver had not been found.

What happens to the other divers on a boat, when a customer is lost? Do they become captives, while the search is on, or the boat is allowed to break the search and unload their passengers?

What happens to the other divers on a boat, when a customer is lost? Do they become captives, while the search is on, or the boat is allowed to break the search and unload their passengers?
Not having been on a vessel when someone has been lost, I would hope everyone on board would be understanding and help keep an eye out or do whatever is asked.

When we lost a diver, we offloaded out passengers on to another vessel and searched for 3 days. Recently a diver disappeared in the Keys, the boat took the other pax to the dock.

Back
Top Bottom